Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to look for in cat food.

After having one of my guys diagnosed with IBD (i.e. a VERY sensitive stomach), I switched almost everyone over to a raw diet. I was amazed at the decrease in barf piles and projectile vomiting that happened with a couple of weeks. What I found interesting was that it just wanted my sensitive guy, but everyone decreased. It is also much easier to maintain their weight.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_the_spoiled View Post
    After having one of my guys diagnosed with IBD (i.e. a VERY sensitive stomach), I switched almost everyone over to a raw diet. I was amazed at the decrease in barf piles and projectile vomiting that happened with a couple of weeks. What I found interesting was that it just wanted my sensitive guy, but everyone decreased. It is also much easier to maintain their weight.
    Hmmmmm.... maybe I'll have to give something like this a try in the summer when I have more time. In the meantime I'll see if I can do a switchover to one of the dry kibble "raw" diets like EVO. It would be nice to have less barf piles around the house. I really do think there was a change in the recipe for the Nutro the more I think about it. I have to go cat food shopping today anyway, so I can buy some EVO or something and start mixing it in today.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    Hmmmmm.... maybe I'll have to give something like this a try in the summer when I have more time. In the meantime I'll see if I can do a switchover to one of the dry kibble "raw" diets like EVO. It would be nice to have less barf piles around the house. I really do think there was a change in the recipe for the Nutro the more I think about it. I have to go cat food shopping today anyway, so I can buy some EVO or something and start mixing it in today.
    Jenn, since I've had to switch all of my cats over to a grain free diet, I've noticed that they've all become leaner and I wasn't even trying to get them to lose weight except for Starr. My vet said it's because they're on a high protein diet. I've been using Innova Evo dry and also the cat/kitten Turkey/Chicken canned food. I feed them 4 small meals a day,2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. Sunny will still barf if I wait too long to feed him or if I feed him too much at once. You also don't want to feed them too much canned food at once because it's very rich and some cats will barf. Luckily my Storm can eat a good sized portion without any problems because he's the main one that needs the extra moisture.

I also found out that now Innova Evo makes 95% meat canned food in Turkey/Chicken, Duck, Venison, and Beef flavors. I tried the beef and duck and they love the duck but didn't really like the beef. Some cats are also allergic to beef and I'm not supposed to feed this to Starr. The duck is much more expensive of course. I wasn't able to try the venison or turkey/chicken because the pet store didn't have any available. I just ordered 2 cases of the 95% Turkey/Chicken since Starr can also eat this kind of meat and they already like this flavor in the cat/kitten canned food. It's supposed to be more like a raw diet but the meat is cooked.

Here's a link about it:http://www.naturapet.com/brands/evo.asp. Just scroll down towards the bottom to see the different varieties of cat food. The 95% canned food also has a little more fiber in it than the original Turkey/Chicken cat/kitten canned food. I've also noticed that since I've been feeding Sunny the duck canned food, he's been barfing much less often so I hope that this will continue. Good luck.