Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to look for in cat food.

What to look for in cat food.

I have a friend who wants to switch her cat food from Meow Mix to something more nutritious(I'm currently feeding felidae). I forgot what the list of things to look for in a good cat food is (Meat first item on the ingredient list etc.). Anyone offer some help?

Critter Mom to: Zoe-Rott/Pit Mix, Chloe- Persian, Lisa & Lola-Hermit Crabs, COMING SOON Pinky Pie-Cornsnake

When you say meat, I think you mean the protein content, which is much higher in cat food than in dog food. "Meat" can mean lots of things, including companion animal renderings. YUCK!

I often refer to this web site:

http://www.doberdogs.com/menu.html

It explains the meanings of the ingredients, which will apply to cat food as well as dog food. (I know, it gives dog food comparisons, not helpful in this case.)

You can also google
    cat food comparison
    for some good hits.

Meow Mix is garbage, as is most of the junk they sell at grocery and department stores. My cats won't touch Felidae, and there's one other (can't remember the name).

Cost is the one thing I won't skimp on when it comes to my babies. They are healthy and happy. I give them Iams Oceanfish and then split one can between 6 cats. They get abou a teaspoon each. It's baically just a treat, as most cheap canned foods have no nutritional value but does help hydrate them (there's alot water in them cans!!).

They love catnip. I give them treats once in a great while.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I actually feed my guys a raw diet (i.e. I make their food). But the one thing I have learned is to watch out for the corn and wheat gluten content. One of my guys has IBS and the corn and wheat make him VERY sick...besides cats are carnivores and not herbavores, so why would they want corn or wheat

Too much fish is rough on a cat's system - a little bit is OK now and then, but chicken, turkey, beef, and pork are better sources of protein because they don't leach vitamin E and B1 out of the body. Here's a more detailed explanation.

Love, Columbine

I Am Slowly Changing Over From To A Cooked Food Diet With Premium Dry And Canned As There Are Cats Who Will Not Touch Human Foods Unless It Comes From Our Aunt Janice In Our Subsidized Meals.
    I Usually Find That Nutro, Science Diet And Iams Are The Best, Although The Found Cats Have All Had Dental Issues, But That Might Be Age Settling In.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by Sparklecoon
    I have a friend who wants to switch her cat food from Meow Mix to something more nutritious(I'm currently feeding felidae). I forgot what the list of things to look for in a good cat food is (Meat first item on the ingredient list etc.). Anyone offer some help?
    Nutro is the only thing I'll feed my cats. I fostered a cat once with FIV. At first she was ok, but then her kidneys slooooowly began failing. I know that putting her on Nutro help save the quality and length of her life. Her eyes and her fur came back to life. It was so amazing.

Also, my current female kitty has long fur and the boy is a shorthair but he sheds a ton. In almost three years I think I've only cleaned up a handful of hairballs. They just don't chuck up their food or hairballs. I know it's the food. I tried switching them to Purina One once to try to save a few $$, but within two weeks I had three gut presents laying on the floor. I gave that bag of food away and went back to Nutro.

It costs a little more upfront, but they eat a lot less of it, so really in the end the $$ is actually about the same.

My only recommendation is stay away from anything with dyes in it, particularly reds, yellows and greens. I've seen SOOO many animals come in at work with awful allergies, ear infections, and skin problems that get traced back to the dyes in the foods.

Dyes are there to look good to humans so we'll buy it. Pets don't really look in their bowls and go 'oh wow reds and greens, this must be good'. LOL

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

This is a topic I have been researching for sometime and there are sooo many differing opinions it can really get frustrating trying to find the 'best' food for your particular kitty.
    I have issues with two of my cats, one being very overweight and the other has allergy problems, so I have really been studying different foods trying to find one that we all can live with.
    I came across this very informative website Basics of Feline Nutrition that really helped me understand just exactly what a cats dietary requirements are and how vets aren't always the best ones to get food recommendations from.

Quote Originally Posted by snowshoe2
    I came across this very informative website Basics of Feline Nutrition that really helped me understand just exactly what a cats dietary requirements are and how vets aren't always the best ones to get food recommendations from.
    Seems kinda funny to say vets aren't always the best ones to get food recommendations from when the site you're getting your info from is written by a vet.

The site it links to about vets and food recomendations are regarding mostly the vets making a business of selling pet food. Basically more or less competing with pet stores, which is a rather despicable practice IMO.

FYI not ALL vets agree with the practice of making their revenue from food/pet supply sales and prefer to stick to the business of pet health instead since they got a degree in medicine not pet supply sales.

Where I work we carry only the absolute minimum of prescription foods only for clients that are already on that food or need to have it ordered. We do not sell regular pet food of any brand, we do not recommend any one brand of food, and we do not usually sell the brands we do recommend (unless it's a special prescription formula then we special order it with very minimal mark up). Our hospital stands no revenue loss or gain from pet food sales or recommendations.

Sorry I just get rather miffed when one vet (or supposed pet expert) gets people to doubt the advice of the person who studied for years to maintain the health of our pets. I figure if you don't trust your vet about the food recommendations then why are you trusting him/her with the health of your pet otherwise?? I'd say seek a vet you actually trust so you both can work for the best health of your furry little companion.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Since my cat Starr has food allergies, colitis, and IBD problems, now all of my cats are on grain free foods. They currently eat Innova Evo dry and wet and also Evangers Organic Turkey and Butternut Squash for some extra fiber. My holistic told me that cats don't need grains but they do need fiber in their diet.

They've all been on this food since around June of last year and I've noticed that they seem to have much more energy, look better, and just seem to be in better health. Pearl used to break out on her lips and have some eye infections and now she's been a very healthy girl.

Storm used to be on Royal Canin Urinary S/O for his crystal and urinary problems but now he's on the same food as the others and he's doing very well. He also loves this food much more than his prescription diet. Both my regular vet and holistic vet said that it was okay to feed him this diet as long as I make sure that he gets plenty of moisture from the wet food. My holistic vet also told me that the grains are what causes the urinary problems.

From what I've read in the past, cats need to be on high protein diets with little or no grains. They don't need all of the carbohydrates that are in most of the commercial cat foods these days. I think that you should try to feed your animals the best food that you can afford and what works the best for them.

I have lexie on royal canin, so urinary as well, recommended by the vet and so far she is doing very well, her coat is extremely shiny, although being black it does indeed show up more, the other cats love excellence by virbac, not sure if you get it over there, but be warned they do intend to get fat on it.

I always look for something that will keep their urinary systems in order, it must have that,i am restricted financially on what i can afford to buy them,but so far they all seem to be thriving,maybe a little too much if you know what i mean, little fat butterballs of fluff.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Catlady by no means did I mean to offend you or anyone else here about what I have learned from researching cat foods. I also didn't mean to classify all vets. While many vets are extremely knowledgeable in feline nutrition, many of them have had very limited training of the basics of feline nutrition. Some have relied for years on advice or knowledge only from the pet food industry and nutritional education has not been an integral part of their training.
    My point in posting the link was to pass on the information to others that may be considering switching their cats food to something more appropriate and I felt this site was a very educational. Yes it was written by a vet, apparently one that has studied a great deal on feline nutrition and lists excellent sources for her findings.
    It's not that I don't trust my vet, this is just another tool to help anyone with a cat that may be having dietary issues and I feel an informed patient is better able to understand and interact with their vet.

Again sorry if you felt this was an attack on you or anyone else in the animal health industry.

I am feeding my four NÖW! Grain Free Cat Food as well as Merrick wet food and GO! Natural Grain Free wet food. They have been doing really good on it, they have so much more energy now. My orange tabby, Amadeus, hardly ever played before, now he is up half the night chasing the other kitties around. The only downfall is that they have all gained weight from this food. I have cut there servings down to 1/2 cup per day, and they are maintaining their weight (of coure baby Theodore gets more). I have never fed my boys anything but premium food, but our budget allows that.

I firmly believe that premium foods don't cost any more than grocery store brands. They eat less premium food compared to the "junk food" brands. So a 10-14 pound cat eating Cat Chow needs 3/4-1 1/4 cups of food per day, while a 10-14 pound cat only needs 1/2-1 cup per day of NÖW! Grain Free.

Petcurean makes a good, low cost premium cat food that is available in America. The food is called Summit, check out their website.

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

Here's a good tip.

Buy small packages of what you think your cat may like, and when you serve it look for the cat's head in the dish!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.