As I was driving home in the wee hours of this morning, I saw a dog running down the side of the road. My very drunk husband was highly amused as I ranted about how it was four in the morning and I wanted to crawl into bed, but I am physically incapable of driving past a wandering dog.

So I pulled over and as I did, the "dog" stood to his full height, turned his head and stared at me with bright yellow eyes. That's no dog. It was a massive, magnificent solid black wolf. He moved with remarkable grace on legs twice as long as my longest legged dog! Full of confidence and fearless. It was stunning to watch him.

There is a wolf pack that lives within the City of Whitehorse limits and many wolves in the territory. I see their tracks all the time and have occasionally thought I saw one running in the bush, but I have never been gifted with the opportuntity to just watch one in it's territory, doing what wolves do. Totally made up for having to drive drunks around all night! I'm still a little awed.

In a slightly ironic twist, yesterday was four years to the day since a wolf came into my yard and tried to eat Hobo!