Thread: I Hope Someone Can Help Me!!

I Hope Someone Can Help Me!!

Okay.

Here's my problem, and if you have advice, ANY at all that you think would help, PLEASE feel free to give it.

My eighteenth birthday is coming up in March, and the one thing that I would like is a pair of rats. When I brought this up to my mother, she turned me down flat, saying that rats were "filthy vermin" and that she would not have them living in her house. So I got upset and then, after a couple of days, began printing out little "pamphlets" of information and placing them in her mailbox (she works at a school) and slipping them into her purse; places where they wouldn't be missed. I've handwritten notes begging her, telling her how much I would take care of them, and that she wouldn't have to do anything, except perhaps pay for vet bills.

I get a $25 monthly deposit to my bank account, and I would use that to pay for food. My grandparents have rabbits, and they always have leftover bedding that they throw out. I can get a cage off eBay (used, so it's cheaper) and my friend has already agreed to donate water bottles and food containers from her guinea pig cages. The only money my mother would need to "donate" towards them would be the vet bills (which would be when we first got them, and then regular checkups...)

I'm always so angry at my mother because of her inability to see that these rats will make me very, very happy... I've tried slipping interesting rat tidbits into everyday conversation, and she either ignores them, or shouts at me.

What should I do?
    Last edited by rabidfangirl90; 02-21-2008 at 06:31 PM.
    And Thus Did Ceiling Cat Look Down Upon Us.
    And The Kittehs Did Begin To Speak In Fractured English.
    And It Was Good.

If you're 17, you could get a part time job and earn money to set aside for your pets. Prove to your mother that you're responsible enough to take care of them without her footing the bill.

Either that, or you could wait until you move out and then get your rats. I know that isn't the best answer, but it would save you and your mom from arguing over them being "vermin" etc.

Good luck!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Do you know anyone with rats? Maybe let her meet a few.

Niņo & Eliza

Yes, I agree with Suki - maybe you know someone who might need you to "rat sit" for a weekend ... and you mom might get to know rats better!
    I've Been Frosted

Hmmm well vet bills for rats can be very expensive so try getting a job and pay for them yourselves. What kind of shavings do your grandparents use? Pine and cedar are dangerous to small animals especially rats.

Show her you are responsible and pay for as much as possible yourself and research thoroughly on their care.

Let your mom read this: Rats are not dirty or disease carrying animals. They are cleaner then cats, just as friendly as dogs and they don't bark. They are great family pets and are more social then other small animals. In my opinion they are the number one pet to have. I have had all sorts of fish, hamsters, gerbils, mice, dogs and cats aswell as rats. Rats are cheaper and less work then cats and dogs but friendlier then the others.

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate your input! I think I may have to wait until I go to college, though... The college that I'm going to allows small caged pets in their housing, so I think I'll do that.

I think my grandparents buy a name-brand bedding, and I'm sure it's not cedar or pine, because they sell their bunnies to pet stores or food processing plants. (EW)

I can only hope that my roommates won't mind! (Of course, everyone I've asked has said that they think rats are awesome, and would get one if they could... Hopefully none of my roommates will be "girly-girls")
    And Thus Did Ceiling Cat Look Down Upon Us.
    And The Kittehs Did Begin To Speak In Fractured English.
    And It Was Good.