Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: --updated page 48--Rockee's time too?

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    How can you say that when you see how many people get ripped off by vets? I know people who worl behind the scenes at this vet and most of the vets don't care and want o get as much money as they can.

I know the blood work was nessicary but I didn't think the urine sample was and my boss (a previous vet tech) agreed. She said if there was something wrong they would be able to tell with just a blood test.

It's not a good idea to make an assumption based on just a few vets and one (or a couple) people you know that work for just a few vets.

I happen to work for a great group of vets and the animal's health really IS the thing they are most concerned with as well as everyone that works at the hospital.

Just because a few bad apples are out there doesn't mean you write off the entire profession.

I mean c'mon if we use your logic on that.....

1) If we (or our animals) break a leg we can't go to a doctor (vet) or ER hospital because you know there are a few that will rip you off. Better that we just let the bone stick out through the leg and heal itself.

2) If our wheel on our car wobbles horribly when we drive we just let it go until it finally breaks, hope we don't die (or kill anyone) in the resulting crash because you know there are mechanics out there that will rip you off.

3) If we need dental work done (or our pets do) it's better to just let the teeth get so bad they're loose and pull them out on our own because we all know there are some dentists (vets) out there that will rip you off.

You just can't go through life generalizing like that, and you can't write off an entire profession based on limited experience with a few limited examples of the profession or a couple biased opinons from a few people that work for said few examples of the profession.

If you're not happy with your current vet then, by all means, go find one you can trust and be happy with, but don't degrade the whole profession based on a few bad apples.

My $.02 worth. You do to suit yourself.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

If you disagree with the vet, get a 2nd opinion somewhere else.
    Last edited by jennielynn1970; 03-12-2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Because it is the right thing to do... sorry for all of this.

I'm really sorry to hear that Rockee isn't doing well. I can only imagine how sad/frustrating this if for you and your family. I hope you can find a better Vet... I know you will do the right thing for her, regardless.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

And here we go again.... With your unjust imature remarks..... Are you sure you are a teacher???

You have to have that dig at her dont you.
    We just lost thunder recently due to old age problems... How heartless can you be.
    Now we have yet again an elderly dog (almost 14) whom is suffering.....
    We have had both these dogs since pups, and they have had a good life... Doesnt that prove we love them??????
    The Vet we go to has 4 different vetenarians, the one of whom we saw for rocky is the original owner and works maybe twice a week.... We have been told by quite a few people now that he all for the money... Yeah I am sure he does feel for the animals too, he is a vet aferall.
    But I would rather have an honest opinion from one of the other vets in the clinic who is souly out there for the well being of our dog.
    Rocky is a lab/shepard...There life expectancy is usually 12 yrs on average.
    So say I pay out $1000 to get these tests done and 6 months down the road my dog is ill from another old age problem????? Or say I put all this money out and they come to the descision that it isnt cushings, so now they need to test for other things, meaning more money and more stress for Rocky????????
    I Want what is best for MY dog.... And if it better to let her go than have her suffer then so be it.
    I was heart broken when thnder went and stuggled for a while after.....

I just think some people on here need to learn to grow up and be realistic....
    If she were 5 0r 6 then yes for sure we would try more tests, she is younger and not so stressed out and uncomforble.

All I can say Is that I think you are perfetic jenn_librarian, You also had to get the dig in there about schooling too didnt you...
    Grow up lady... And leave my Kid, yes still a kid and immature ALONE.

Rockee being 14 years old speaks for itself, that she was loved and cared for. I believe it's one's own decision what to do when things aren't going well for their pet. (I know I had a lot of hard decisions with RB Mandy, who was much younger) buttercup and lorn, you have my support and will be in my thoughts whatever you chose to do. Great bigs hugs to Rockee.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

thanks, I know there are alot of people out there whom have been in this situation and whom understand.... I do also know that others would put there last penny into prolonging there pets life and I repsect that.
    Its the nasty spitefull people that Just use this thread to have YET ANOTHER BASH that really irks me......

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy
    being 14 years old speaks for itself, that she was loved and cared for.

I do have to dissagree a bit.

Reaching such an advanced age doesn't neccesarily mean either of those things are guaranteed.

I've seen dogs at work reach advanced age and were loved but rarely cared for over the years when they needed it (which makes me doubt the loved part). An uncle of mine had a lab that got up to 15yrs with poor quality food, lots of table scraps, not one single vet visit in his life, looked like crap towards the last few years, thin, could barely walk, hair falling out, but did manage to survive to 15. They loved the dog sure but relatives or not I think they did a crappy job caring for the dog and was glad they never got another dog again.

I've also known many, (too many) animals that were not only loved but cared for well above and beyond duty and yet the animals left this world way too young through no fault of the owners.

Based on those and quite a few other scenarios I've seen, age is not always a determining factor of the care of an animal.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

What exactly are you trying to say Catlady711????????

I'm hoping that a 2nd opinion can get garnered from a reputable vet, if your family is not happy with the one you have and you have heard negative things about that facility in general.

No one here wants an animal to suffer. If the quality of life is poor, and they would just be lingering, then I certainly see your point of view. Again... will they just be barely living, or will they have quality to their life.
    Last edited by jennielynn1970; 03-12-2008 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Because it is the right thing to do... sorry for all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711
    I do have to dissagree a bit.

Reaching such an advanced age doesn't neccesarily mean either of those things are guaranteed.

I've seen dogs at work reach advanced age and were loved but rarely cared for over the years when they needed it (which makes me doubt the loved part). An uncle of mine had a lab that got up to 15yrs with poor quality food, lots of table scraps, not one single vet visit in his life, looked like crap towards the last few years, thin, could barely walk, hair falling out, but did manage to survive to 15. They loved the dog sure but relatives or not I think they did a crappy job caring for the dog and was glad they never got another dog again.

I've also known many, (too many) animals that were not only loved but cared for well above and beyond duty and yet the animals left this world way too young through no fault of the owners.

Based on those and quite a few other scenarios I've seen, age is not always a determining factor of the care of an animal.
    You're exactly right, I have no idea, they could be treating their dog like crap for all I know, silly of me to assume.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Hi, lorn.

I think Catlady was speaking from her own experience, that's all.

You now have had two dogs that got to a good age, and that does speak well for the care they got.

There are some exceptions to that rule - as Catlady said, at her work (vet's office) she has seen many old animals who were NOT well cared for. Just that age is not always a guarantee of good care.

And - she has seen many young, loved, and well-cared for animals that die way too young for no reason.

It's just that age all by itself doesn't guarantee anything.

I can understand you being really sensitive about this, with Rockee so sick, and you just lost Thunder so recently. I really think CL was just pointing out some things, not fingers.

{{{{hugs}}}}

buttercup mentioned that Rockee is also very overweight. Did the vet mention about putting her on diet food?

HUGS and I hope you get a good vet on your next visit!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Hi, lorn.

I think Catlady was speaking from her own experience, that's all.

You now have had two dogs that got to a good age, and that does speak well for the care they got.

There are some exceptions to that rule - as Catlady said, at her work (vet's office) she has seen many old animals who were NOT well cared for. Just that age is not always a guarantee of good care.

And - she has seen many young, loved, and well-cared for animals that die way too young for no reason.

It's just that age all by itself doesn't guarantee anything.

I can understand you being really sensitive about this, with Rockee so sick, and you just lost Thunder so recently. I really think CL was just pointing out some things, not fingers.

{{{{hugs}}}}

buttercup mentioned that Rockee is also very overweight. Did the vet mention about putting her on diet food? She might at least be a bit more comfy if she slimmed down a bit. But check with your vet.

HUGS and I hope you get a good vet on your next visit!

We will be contacting the vet again on Monday, I have been monitoring her water intake like they asked me to do.
    Yes Rocky has been overweight for years now, she really and truley doesnt over eat and Barley ever does she get table scraps, because both her and Thunder seemed to not tollerate a treat from the table.... Stomaches wouldnt like it.
    She has been this way since she was spayed years ago.
    Rock Has troubles getting up and down the stairs she takes it step by step going up and on the way down its almost as though she is hopping down. Funny to watch actually.
    She seems to spin in a circle when she gets up from laying down.
    And she paces alot and cannot seem to settle for too long... So obviously she is uncomftable.
    I am sure either myself or Ali will update you all once we speak again to the vet, I am asking to speak to the same vet we had for Thunder, because she was very compassionate and I found I could understand what she was talking about more. Where as this last one spoke in vet language and I dont know how to explain it, but We just didnt like him.....

I can see that...some people are great vets, but just don't know how to translate their stuff into 'owner-talk' - some folks are just not communicators.

I hope you get that vet too.

I'm glad to hear they rarely get table scraps, as it doesn't take much to pack stuff on a critter. But if she is older and doesn't move as much, maybe ask about a sample of Senior kibble, which still has nutrition but will be lower in calories.

I know she has other serious issues...I hope you find an answer. Just ask the vet about weight/food and if it might apply to Rockee's health right now.

{{{hugs}}}

Have you tried giving your dog glucosomene (spelling??)?

That might help. Ask your vet about it.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!