Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does it usually take?

How long does it usually take?

Well... we signed the termination papers and everything on the house we were going to buy.

We signed them about two weeks ago.

Our agent hasn't heard ANYTHING from their agent yet. STILL. She did send us an email saying that she saw that the house was put back on the market now but whenever she calls him she has to leave a message and he never calls her back. The last message she asked when we could expect our $1000 check to arrive.

This was last week. Still haven't heard anything.

So how long should it take to get that check? I really think they are trying to stiff us out of the money which is NOT going to happen. We aren't just going to forget about $1000 bucks.

So how long should we wait before we take the next step in action against them?

What would you do?

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Can you cancel the check? I would call my bank immediately.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom
    Can you cancel the check? I would call my bank immediately.
    they cashed the check already. it was the "good faith" money to hold the house. But with everything that went on afterwards we decided we didn't want the house plus we couldn't get financing because they have an illegal septic system. so it was cashed before we cancelled the contract.

I haven't kept up with what was going on with your house. I remember you were going to get it. Apparently not now . I hope everything gets settled and works out for you. People suck sometimes.

Critter Mom to: Zoe-Rott/Pit Mix, Chloe- Persian, Lisa & Lola-Hermit Crabs, COMING SOON Pinky Pie-Cornsnake

I would call the company the realator works for, you could also threaten calling the board of realators on him.

If they cash the check where does it go? Does it go into a title company? If so call them.

I have been frosted!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparklecoon
    I haven't kept up with what was going on with your house. I remember you were going to get it. Apparently not now . I hope everything gets settled and works out for you. People suck sometimes.
    Yeah the original house we were going to get had some issues....

first off every seller has to fill out a sellers disclosure. In this disclosure it asked if there were any known problems with the septic system and they said no. And it also asked if there had ever been any damage from termites or wood eating insects and they said no.

We got a copy of the septic inspection the owners had done 6 months ago. the septic system failed inspection and they never fixed it and didnt' mention it in the disclosure.

They also had a termite inspection done (we have that copy too) and there was damage and they made the repairs but in the disclosure they said there was never any damage.

BUT the biggest thing was... in PA your septic system has to be 100 feet away from the well and in this case it is not. So it is an illegal system and THAT was never mentioned. Luckily the financier got a copy of the land survey and found out about it and of course they won't approve a loan with an illegal system.

So there was just a lot of shady stuff going on and we were going to back out before we even found out about the septic being less than 100 feet from the well. The sellers were apparently mad about us backing out... well they should have thought about that before trying to pull a fast one.

So I'm worried that since they apparently have hard feelings about it that they are going to try to keep our check. there are circumstances where the sellers can keep the check to cover the time the house was not on the market... but THESE circumstances do not allow them to keep the check. it is even in our contract that they cannot keep the check if we have just cause to back out.

So I just wonder how long we should wait before taking the next step. Brian is calling our realtor today to have her contact him AGAIN about the check and let him know that we are prepared to take the next step and if that means legal action so be it. HOPEFULLY it doesn't come to that though.

I would call the company the realator works for, you could also threaten calling the board of realators on him.

If they cash the check where does it go? Does it go into a title company? If so call them.

OOOH good idea. I believe the check goes to the sellers but I will have to check on that. But I am going to call Brian right now to see if he spoke with our realtor yet and see what she said. and I am going to tell him about the board of realtors if she hasn't already suggested it.

I wouldn't think the sellers would get the money, they should get no money until escrow closes, was the check made out to the seller?

You defenitely had a right to back out of the contract and they have no right to that money, if you have to file in small claims court.

I have been frosted!

I wouldn't think the sellers would get the money, they should get no money until escrow closes, was the check made out to the seller?

You defenitely had a right to back out of the contract and they have no right to that money, if you have to file in small claims court.
    I have to ask hubby about that. I'm not sure who it was made out to. he wrote it and I didn't even think to ask lol. So I will have to ask him who it was made out to and who cashed it.

I told him about the board of realtors and he is going to mention it to our realtor for when she calls this guy.

If that doesn't work we will go the small claims court route.

When I was in college I moved out of a duplex and they didn't give me the cleaning deposit back, after they came over and said everything was clean. I called a local law school and they said if I didn't get the money within 2 weeks I was also entitled to damages, I filed the claim in small claims court asking for damages too, I got my deposit and a couple hundren in damages from the main office.

I have been frosted!

When I was in college I moved out of a duplex and they didn't give me the cleaning deposit back, after they came over and said everything was clean. I called a local law school and they said if I didn't get the money within 2 weeks I was also entitled to damages, I filed the claim in small claims court asking for damages too, I got my deposit and a couple hundren in damages from the main office.
    Ok great. that is good to know. Thank you

The earnest money is supposed to go into escrow and not be touched until after closing, or returned to the buyer. Do you have an attorney? If not, get one; if so, use him/her.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Phone call to the State's licensing board for real estate agents can give you LOTS of info FAST! What to do, time frames, who to contact, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder
    The earnest money is supposed to go into escrow and not be touched until after closing, or returned to the buyer. Do you have an attorney? If not, get one; if so, use him/her.

I agree.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I was going to say the same. Money goes into escrow. The check DOES get cashed, but it goes into the escrow account. The seller DOES not get it until closing (which is NOT going to happen). You will probably have to go and argue your case to the escrow office. (bank). Hope this helps.

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!