Thread: Daffodil Poisoning

Daffodil Poisoning

Hi Everyone! It's been forever since I've posted but I have a question and I know this is the right place to get an answer.

My baby Keeley (new addition since I last posted) has ingested daffodils. Long story short, she was vomiting for no apparent reason. I put two and two together and realized that she only started getting sick after our friend gave us the daffodils.

After doing some research, I found out that daffodils are indeed toxic to cats (take note if you have daffodils). One thing I can't find though is if there are any long term affects from ingesting the plant. I've gotten rid of the plant - just a few minutes ago- and am hoping Keeley will not be sick any more.

Does anyone know if there are any long term affects from daffodil poisoning?

By the way, here she is:

Keeley also recently suffered from Fatty Liver Syndrome. We had to tube feed her for four weeks but she pulled through. I am wondering if this combined with the daffodil ingestion could be very, very bad for her.
    Don't Breed & Buy
    While Homeless Pets Die
    Ritchi
    Sammi

I would definately take her to the vet, vomitting is one of the first signs of toxicity. It can lead to death, so getting her to the vet as soon as possible is critical.

Here is an article I found...

Daffodil Toxicity in Cats

• AMADEUS • AUGUSTUS • SEBASTIAN • THEODORE •

The combination of a bum liver and poisoning can't be good. Please take her to the vet!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Maybe a call to the Poison Control Hotline will help provide some info?

Prayers on the way that is was just a temporary tummy upset and that got it all out of the system!

I have no info on this subject, just want to urge you to take Keeley to the vet to have her checked. She's a beautiful girl. Sometimes when we think they're ok, they're really not and your vet can determine whether she'll need treatment or not. Please keep us posted.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

A definite visit to the vet ASAP!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

I called the emergency vet clinic (it's a holiday here today and the vet is closed)and told them that she is perfectly fine in every other way. She's eating, drinking, playing, snuggling, using the box, etc. Her nose is wet and cold. Her colour looks good.

The vet said it depends on my comfort level whether or not to bring her in. I'm paranoid due to her other issue a few months ago. The vet said there really is nothing they could do at this point other than treat her symptomatically.

I'll wait one more day but keep a very close eye on her. Like I said, she's fine otherwise and I'm very watchful of her eating habits since her fatty liver syndrome and she is eating and drinking normally.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I'm sure I noticed it in time and I'm sure she'll be fine except for an upset tummy. The emergency Dr. said as long as she is still eating, she should be fine but to keep a close eye on her for the next 24 hours - which I will most certainly do.

We spent over $2500 on her at Christmas due to her fatty liver and the worry and heartache was awful. I cried almost every night for her. I don't want to go through that again so I'm very mindful of her habits.
    Don't Breed & Buy
    While Homeless Pets Die
    Ritchi
    Sammi

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    Maybe a call to the Poison Control Hotline will help provide some info?

Just wanted to throw out a heads up on that one. Calling the People poison control is a free 800 number, but the animal equivilent poison control is not a free call. They won't talk to you without a credit card number first.

As a side note, if you have the Home Again microchip ID and are currently registered with their new program you can call them, give them the ID chip number and they'll patch you through to poison control without having to pay first. It's part of their new program they started I think last fall. Here's the link to it and on the main page there it says a little blip about this feature.

http://www.homeagain.com/

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I did call pet poison control and yes, they required a $35 credit card charge just to talk to them and they would have probably just said the same thing the vet at the 24hr clinic told me for free.
    Don't Breed & Buy
    While Homeless Pets Die
    Ritchi
    Sammi