Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes? No? Decisions, Decisions...update

Yes? No? Decisions, Decisions...update

Stupid chickenhead that I am..forgot to take a picture..

While fostering Woody/Fred,I mentioned the chance of getting one of my nephew's puppies. i decided not to, based on the work involved. I realized I was just too old for this stuff. But.....

Curses and Rats! I went to visit one of the puppies today at my niece's house. Her mom and stepdad are taking one. I knew I'd get emotional. When the puppy ran over to me, I held and kissed her the entire stay. She fell asleep in my arms, then next to me. Katie (I thought of you, Robin) is a beagle, blacklab/Golden Retreiver mix. A virtual fuzz ball. The only Beagle I see are the wide feet. Her face looks a bit like a GSD and her widdle eyes have light brown circles, racoon like.

Katie was so calm although it was her first time away from her littermates and mom. I held her like a baby, turned her over..so calm and even tempered. I was literally d-y-i-n-g. First I agreed to one of the males (either her twin or all black). I even have names chosen. Then I said no, realizing all I have on my plate right now. Then my nephew talked me into it, the I talked myself out of it. It was sheer torture.

When I saw my niece's beagle so upset, I thought of Logan with Fred. I realize how lucky I am with Logan. But Katie isn't Fred in personality.
    My brother said no, John doesn't care (and he shouldn't) but I've been helping out with a sick relative and haven't been home as much as usual

I guess I need an A list and B list. I'm so torn I bet I won't sleep a wink tonight thinking about it.
    Last edited by K9karen; 02-23-2008 at 11:04 PM.

I've been Boooo'd!

Oh, I'm so excited! I say yes, YES! But, Klo's feelings must be considered first. Can you do a test run? Maybe have a visit and see how that goes? Shame on you for not getting pics!

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Of course I don't know Logan, but simply from some of your posts in the past, I'd probably be a bit hesitant to add another female to your home. I think if you were to add another dog, a male would be the best choice. It might work though, depending on the temperament of the puppy. Sorry I don't really have a yes or no answer for you! I hope somebody else may be able to give some better advice.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedogsmom
    Can you do a test run? Maybe have a visit and see how that goes? Shame on you for not getting pics!
    You took the words right out of my mouth Val! Karen, assuming that you do that and all goes well please do think of your own health issues too. Puppies are w-o-r-k for sure. I know that I am sounding like a "mother" and a "spoil sport" but I know you will make the decision that is right for you......whatever that is! We need PICTURES either way!

Ha ha Karen, I had to laugh at your trouble making a decision, sorry. I've just been through the same thing. That's why I ended up housebreaking in the winter instead of the summer, I waited a bit too long deciding.
    Am I sorry I got Jake, yes and no. Do I love him to death, yes. When I'm tired and wish I could just go to bed early one night, yes. He is gonna be a great dog once we get past *puppy* They sure are a lot of work. A lot of fun also.
    I had actually went to the shelter after a 4 month old puppy and came home with a much younger Jake. One day I will laugh at his 'crisis' I have created. Each few days it gets a bit easier. Good luck in your decision!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

When I first saw Hannah (as an 8 week old puppy) she had just woke up from a nap. I picked her up and was given sweet gentle puppy kisses. As soon as I got her home she became the *puppy from hell*. I would walk around the kitchen with her teeth firmly attached to the hem of my jeans. Eventually we referred to her as *our last dog*, knowing that we wouldn't survive another Hannah. Eventually she turned into a dog we could live with but it took years.

Just a forewarning that beneath those endearing puppy ways may lurk .......another Hannah....
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Well, I'd get a male for sure-Logan likes "boys", the little floozy.

My ex sister in law and her hubby had a hard night. The puppy was up all night crying. Per all your excellent intructions-which I quoted ALOT (they think I'm a professional trainer-little do they know.. ) they didn't coddle her but did take her out for pee. Right after they took her out this AM and she did her duty, she peed in the house 2 minutes later. They were shocked! I was laughing! I don't remember Cody being difficult, but then again, I probably erased it from my mind!!

Thanks for your help. Pam knows me personally and my physical problems. *Sigh*. And you all hit the nail on the head. Logan would freak out. She had a hard life before I met her. I'm blessed and grateful for her and I'd never forgive myself if I upset her. When Woody/Fred was here, she laid on the big bed for 3 days to hide.

Right now, I'll just swoon from afar I guess, and turn greener ever time one of you gets another dog.

I have to trust my gut feeling and your excellent, thoughtful opinions. Thanks a million. I love you all.

I've been Boooo'd!

So all you have to do is anytime a PTer does get a new dog (or even the puppies they already have) just DEMAND lots of pictures. That way you can get your fix and you'll be good to go.
    I would love another kitty, but will not do that to my Taz. So I can relate to what you are going through.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I was chuckling at this, lol. I remember you saying how you wanted a puppy, and then had Woody/Kirby/Fred for that week, and wanted to pull your hair out because he was just so active. You said Logan retreated to the bedroom too, lol, poor girl!

Like I said, when and if I adopt another dog, it will be during the summer, and it will be an older dog. I love puppies, but like children, I love to hand them back at the end of the day!

A retriever mix puppy? If you aren't 100% up for hyper puppy, let somebody who is up for it have the pups. How about a trip to the shelter to find the perfect dog past the puppy stage? You'll still be able to show off new pictures and he'll always be your new "baby" no matter what age.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

[QUOTE=IRescue452 How about a trip to the shelter to find the perfect dog past the puppy stage? .[/QUOTE]

That's the plan eventually!
    I love my pound girl! So that's where I'd be a-heading!

I've been Boooo'd!

To make a long story short, the puppy my ex SIL took has a bad case of puppy pyroderma. And her son decided, althought the other puppesi seem OK, to take them to the SPCA since he can't find homes for them. I'm beside myself all day.

I've been Boooo'd!

Is pyroderma serious?? I'm not familiar with the word... will have to look it up. Will they be ok, if they are adopted out from the shelter??

Quote Originally Posted by K9karen

The puppy my ex SIL took has a bad case of puppy pyroderma.

And her son decided ... to take them to the SPCA ...

Not sure you spelled that correctly - I found:

Pyoderma literally means “pus in the skin” and can be caused by infectious, inflammatory,
    and/or neoplastic etiologies; any condition that results in the accumulation of neutrophilic exudate
    can be termed a pyoderma.
    Most commonly, however, pyoderma refers to bacterial infections of the skin.

[From the MERCK Vet Manual >>>
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in...m/bc/70900.htm ]

Hot spots” are also known as “acute moist pyoderma”.
    What that means is that they are rapidly appearing, oozing, skin infections.

Should be treatable by a good Vet.

Oh dear, hot spots are very manageable. I eliminated Lucky's hot spots simply by changing his diet. I'm so sorry to hear the whole litter was given up because of that! I hope the SPCA will find those pups good homes.