Thread: which is easier to handle neutering a male dog or fixing a female dog??

which is easier to handle neutering a male dog or fixing a female dog??

so, both of my pups are coming of age from puppyhood to adulthood, and i am wanting to get them fixed. here is my question, i need advise on the pro's and con's of fixing the male dog vs the female dog?
    the q'si have are:
    recovery time for male/female? how long and what is needed?
    surgery procedure?
    benefits for male vs female..

al thou my pups do not have a clue they are getting fixed... LOL, i want to know all or at least most of the pro's and con's for getting them both done, vs just getting the male done or female done.

thanks for all the suggestions and i look forward to learning more.

thanks
    1 lab/GSD mix pup, Thunder
    1 lab whippet mix, Cinni
    the Flock: Lovebird,peppermint; 2 finches, Lilo & stitch
    The Aquatics: 4 Red eared sliders, Mikey, Ralphie, SPunky, Baby "T". YBS, Capt Jack Sparrow, 4 Goldfish, Golden,AJ, BJ, Silver Scrappy Doo. 2 ADF;s, BigButt & Kermie. 2 Tertra's UK. 1 new GF scooby doo.
    The little furBabies: 2 dwarf hamsters, Snow,Cinderella.
    RIP Little Jasmine Dwarf Hamster. 2/20/2008
    Wife to: Jeremy, 34
    Mother to: 13 yr old son, Brady
    MTB: a boy and girl TBD on names

I'd recommend having both fixed.

I think medically it's "easier" to have a male neutered since it's a simple snip, while a spay is a little more intrusive. However, if you only fix the male, you'll still have the problem of unwanted puppies should a intact male come roaming while your female is in heat. (dogs can climb fences)

And there are the risks of ovarian cancer in non-spayed females.

My female was spayed at 3 years by the Humane Society and she bounced back pretty quick. Though they suggest little to no strenuous activity.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I would just have both dogs fixed at the same time. That way you won't have one dog wanting to play while the other needs to be kept calm, you can just try to keep them both calm.

Neutering is an easier surgery. Spaying is a more invasive procedure. But if you leave the female intact you're going to have to deal with her going in heat and keeping other dogs away from her. Both are routine procedures. All of my dogs have been spayed/neutered and they have been fine. If you need low-cost I believe the Humane Society in Murray has low-cost spay/neuters and there's a low-cost clinic near me in Orem too. There's also the Big Fix mobile spay/neuter clinic http://www.utahpets.org/spay.html

All of my dogs have bounced back from the surgery very fast, you just need to keep them calm for a few days so they don't rip the stitches. The vet will tell you more when you have it done.

Pros for getting a male fixed:
    -reduce the desire to run away or roam (to find a mate)
    -reduce the desire to fight with other males (to "win" the females)
    -reduce the chances of testicular cancer
    -helps to prevent the "hyper-active" behavior many intact males have (everything is sex related when they have all their hormones)
    -it is very easy on the male, recovery time. most animals won't even know anything is different.
    -reduce the need to mark their territory, and spray everything and everywhere!
    -prevent accidental unwanted litters (when the dog finds another intact female crossing his path)

Pros for getting a female fixed:
    -reduce the desire to run away or roam (to find a mate)
    -reduce the chances of ovarian, cervical, or uterine cancer
    -prevent the heat cycle (and mess of bleeding)
    -prevent accidental unwanted litters (when the dog finds another intact male crossing her path)
    -reduce the chance that SHE will pee inapropriately to mark HER territory to attract a mate.
    -even though the procedure is more invasive for a female than a male, it is a relatively easy recovery, especially when done at the appropriate young age.

Cons for getting any pet fixed (male or female)

THERE ARE NO CONS!! You as a responsible pet owner SHOULD have ALL pets fixed.

wow, thanks for all the great advice, i was more concerned about recovery time for them both so that i can take time off work to take care of them. I know there is a Humane Society in Murray and that is where i was planning on taking them ... it sounds like it will be only a few days for recovery. and i was planning on getting them both done at the same time, so it saves in recovery and mishaps .

thanks again for letting me know and educating me on this, it really helps.

as for the con's i was talking more surgical con's as far as recovery time and down time for the pups.
    1 lab whippet mix, Cinni
    The Aquatics: 4 Red eared sliders, Mikey, Ralphie, SPunky, Baby "T". YBS, Capt Jack Sparrow, 4 Goldfish, Golden,AJ, BJ, Silver Scrappy Doo. 2 ADF;s, BigButt & Kermie. 2 Tertra's UK. 1 new GF scooby doo.

As far as "which is easier to handle"... in my experiences it is just about the same, regardless of gender

facebook

Have both fixed at the same time. Recovery time is about the same for both, but the female requires more attention and care as she has the abdominal stitches that require a bit more "delicate" handling. My Sami girl, when she was done, was ready to run wild at 3 am, the day after surgery, keeping her quiet until daybreak was a challenge! Best of luck to your babies, I'm sure they will be fine.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I agree with everyone else, get them both altered at the same time. You were given some very good reasons for altering both the male and female, and I agree with them all.

I also agree that the problem won't be recovery time, it will be how to convince them that they NEED recovery time. 24 hours after a spay is the longest I've ever managed to keep a dog "calm and quiet". You will be amazed at how quickly they bounce back.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

oh i for sure plan on getting them both fixed at the same time, and i already talked to my boss tonite and she will give me the extra days to take off so i can be home during recovery time. as for being calm, they are pretty calm as it is. the only time they get roudy is when someone comes home after being gone all day. i plan on keeping them in my bedroom with me and my hubby with a bed set up and all there food and such to keep them quiet i am going to play soft music ( they love it and will go right to sleep)..

again, thanks for all the advise about getting them done, as far as i know i will be getting them done 2gether in the next week. wish me luck on recovery time.
    1 lab whippet mix, Cinni