Thread: OK - need advice, friend moving back to basement room :-(

OK - need advice, friend moving back to basement room :-(

I'll call her Jill. She is 42, has type 2 diabetes, and peripheral artery disease. She has gone 1 year without a heart attack (she had two - one she didn't even know about), so her survival rate has gone up 40%.

She finally got into an above-ground apartment last year - but the rent is going up, and she just finds it too expensive to pay for the phone and computer internet on her own (she does need some internet, as she can work and is looking for work too).

She's on a permanent disability - and in Calgary's boom, the amount does not keep up with housing costs.

The room she is moving back to is large and quite nice - her former landlady is great and they get along really well.

The basement room can be cold - and in spring, when things get damp, Jill will have breathing problems again because of the dampness and possibly mold that can't be seen.

I need ideas to make this room as healthy for her as possible! (She MAY be able to stay where she is, and I have some ideas for that - but likely she will move). Her landlady is tight on energy, but has told Jill that she can have and use a space heater.

1. I bought her electric socks! Each has a battery pack for a D battery and the heating element is under the toe! Along with the fleece thermo trousers I got her that she can tuck into the socks, that will help.

2. Any ideas for a (preferably) battery powered heated rug?

3. Any ideas for cleaning to prevent the bad air source from acting up? Dehumidifiers are really expensive.

4. Of course, there is ONE basement window...I am thinking several lamps with 100W equivalent fluorescent bulbs in them. Easy on landlady's pocketbook, and more light for Jill.

Thanks so much for any input on how to make this a healthy home for Jill!

HUGS
    Last edited by Catty1; 02-09-2008 at 10:56 PM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Try posting on Freecycle for a dehumidifier. You'd be surprised at what some people would like to give away!
    The diabete's and the heart issues will wreck havoc with her circulation so it's important that she keep her extremeties warm. I believe there are specific socks for diabetics that allow better blood circulation. All I can say about mold is that Clorox is your friend! I'd dilute it in a spray bottle and mist around any suspicious spots...air vents etc.
    You are kind to look after your friend.
    Claudia

Is she able to find anything else that is in her budget that would be better for health?? I mean, if it's going to exacerbate her conditions, then she's shortchanging herself in the end, and the landlady isn't as good of a friend or as close as she'd like you to believe (pinching pennies when something would be better for her "friend's" health".)

I'd say stay where she is if it's a better environment, or find something else that will be better for her health. Compromising will only be compromising her health in the end...

Will your friend have access to a microwave? I have a couple ~ 2 kg cornsacks that heat in the microwave for 5 minutes that stay warm for 8 hours. It helps warm the extremities. There's also a disc that heats and slides into a fleece disc-case for the cats -- they are a LITTLE dubious about the innovation.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

I"m not sure how well this would help, but I definitely love my air-purifier. We bought it at walmart for around $25 or so, and it does wonders for helping keep dust at bay as well as pet dander and allergens!!

I've noticed if we aren't using it, I sneeze and have more congestion than if we have it on.

facebook

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    After I had pneumonia a few years ago -- and took forever to get better -- I was diagnosed with a mold allergy.

I ordered a couple of these: Germ Guardian and plugged them around the house. They have worked well. But, they are a little noisy (like blowing wind) for me to sleep in the same room, so I put them out in the living and dining room and they worked well. I also have one in my office at work.

She could have all the walls painted with Kilz
    I had the carpeting ripped up in my office. The subfloor was covered in black mold. It was scrubbed and bleached and dried. Then every surface was painted with Kilz before new flooring was installed. I haven't had any problems since.

Keeping warm ~ Will she have a microwave? Instead of heating the whole apartment (too costly these days), we use buckwheat pillows
    We nuke them in the microwave for a few minutes then lean against them or put them in bed before we get in. Now, some people can sleep on them, but the crunch of the hulls keeps me awake, so I just use them for warmth. Bobcat nukes one in the morning and keeps warm reading the newspaper (that is, until a cat or 2 take it over). They are also great if you have tummy cramps or pulled muscles.

We also use sock warmers sorta like this one. You can also get slippers that can be microwaved. They are also good for people who may have poor circulation due to diabetes.

If she doesn't have a microwave, I'd suggest she get one. It will be a lot less expensive in the long run that buying batteries for things.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberLee
    There's also a disc that heats and slides into a fleece disc-case for the cats -- they are a LITTLE dubious about the innovation.
    Oh yes! I forgot about the Snuggle Safe. Senior kitty Cammie loves! loves! loves! this thing. It really helps with her arthritis. Willy loves his too because he hates being cold. Poor kitty would have to live in Alaska.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Wow - thanks everyone!

Jill is also going to ask her landlady if she can sleep in the spare room upstairs. That will help.

I guess it seems that her landlady IS overly tight on energy and bills - then again, I suspect most tenants don't have the health problems that Jill does.

I think there IS carpeting in the room - and I bet some nasty critters are hiding underneath it. Wonder if it could be ripped up and replaced with a nice thick area rug....

Thank you all...still open to ideas if anyone has them!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda