Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help

Keep the Wounds clean.. Wash it out ever few hrs if U can. Make sure they stay clean. Keep her away from other dogs till she is seen by the vet. And Call As soon as they are open in the AM. Let the Wounds breath. *Unless they are Really deep and still bleeding. And I wouldn't let those girls NEAR Each other.. at all. PERIOD! Just cause ure around doesn't mean it wont happen again! Talk to a Behaviourist. But, If they can't help.. they may tell you to keep em seperated for the rests of there lives.. This Wont get better without further help.

Good luck!

We have taken them to behavior councelor,they have not fought in months,My daughter was home when this happend,They were seprerated for almost a year,But in pictures you see them they were fine.They are both spayed also.The vet also said that should help the matter.

They have fought before yes,But never to this measure,Usually they just back off.I really do not know what to do,Lacy will be seen by my vet in the morning,she would be there tonight if it was possible.It is really hard for me to deal with this,I cannot keep one locked in a room for the rest of its life.

I can just do one thing at a time,my first thing is getting Lacy looked after,I dont want to be made out as a bad owner,You all know i always do what is best for my animals.Molly is bad when it comes to Lacy i dont know why she does this to her.

Lori - don't rip the scabs off! Just my thought - that is how the skin heals...
    That is what a friend of mine said......She said if you let it scab it will get infected inside,But Lacy is obviously not going to scab overnight,Im not doing anything other then cleaning her,Im too scared to do anything until i see my vet tomorrow morning.

How is Lacy this morning?

Well, there is definitely hierarchy issues here. You really need to seek some help on how to make them see that YOU'RE alpha.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

hi sorry I am just now seeing this!!..how is Lacy doing this morning???....I work at a Vet Clinic and we had a dog come in about three days ago with puncture wounds from a dog fight the main thing is KEEP IT CLEAN! you don't really want to put a bandage on because punture wounds do better when the can breath to heal...you can put a little vasoline on the wounds after you have cleaned them and such to keep any dirt or debre from getting in the wound or your vet can give you a wound salve which will keep debre out and medicate the wound also ...she should be just fine! ...I hope she is doing better today!!
    KayKay

R.I.P. my sweet Little bit and itty bit you will be in my heart forever I love you!

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle"
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Jordan
    Molly is a Newfoundland,I dont think her intensions are killing Lacy,They both have been fighting to be number 1 "Alpha"
    Don't bet on this ever being resolved peaceably once & for all. Dogs live by their own built-in hereditary code, it's hard-wired. It will be up to you to keep them apart for good, because you won't get any warning when things are about to explode. (This is why we now have only one female)

Mine have had a few scuffles resulting in puncture wounds, I clean them up with hydrogen peroxide & just keep them clean. My vet said to put triple anitibiotic ointment on it. I do recall one vet said not to use peroxide straight, but dilute it with water.

Hope they're both healing up alright. That is so frustrating, we know your not a bad dog mom, just dealing with dogs acting like dogs. (((hugs))) to you!
    Last edited by cyber-sibes; 02-09-2008 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    My vet said to put triple anitibiotic ointment on it. I do recall one vet said not to use peroxide straight, but dilute it with water.
    Straight peroxide kills the healthy tissue too. That's why it's recommended to dilute it.

I hope your dogger is doing better today!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Lori I think you're missing the point. It isn't a matter of showing them you are the alpha...they will recognize you as their alpha without a doubt. But they will still keep trying to win the top dog position. Whether Molly is a Newfie or not doesn't count in hiaerchy issues. Since she is bigger and has already traumatized the other pack member, it will be just a matter of time before she kills her. I've seen this more than once, they have to be kept apart period. You could be in the house with them, but get busy or turn your back and the deed is done. When it happens it will be too late for "I should"this or that, you will lose your dog forever. And your vet saying spaying would help is very wrong, it does nothing to help, just as neutering does nothing to tame aggression.
    I hope your dog will be fine and that the vet will give you some good advice.
    Be careful of scary situations with your dog for a while, the shock of the attack is still fresh and she will need to be reintroduced to noise and commotion again.

Lacy is doing just fine,and i am relieved now that i have gotten her to the vet.I ended up not taking her to my own vet,I bit my tongue and took her into the Alta Vista Emerg lastnight 2 hours away.

I was just in a panic,I hate seeing them in pain,Molly has a ripped ear,I took her into our normal vet this Am.

There so weird they battle then love eachother.I have done this process before,Im not going to ignore it,But i will never have a house of females again...Im not being cruel but this has been a problem for awhile,Never resulting to this.

So both girls are healing,All i have done is i went and got a gate,One is upstairs and one is down,I cannot lock them in a room,so this works just fine.

They lick eachother thru the gate,After all that happend lastnight.

I have a lady coming out Monday to observe them.That is all i can do,The problem will be fixed,Lacy seems very distant and i dont think she will ever try and pull that again.

Quote Originally Posted by shepgirl
    Lori I think you're missing the point. It isn't a matter of showing them you are the alpha...they will recognize you as their alpha without a doubt. But they will still keep trying to win the top dog position. Whether Molly is a Newfie or not doesn't count in hiaerchy issues. Since she is bigger and has already traumatized the other pack member, it will be just a matter of time before she kills her. I've seen this more than once, they have to be kept apart period. You could be in the house with them, but get busy or turn your back and the deed is done. When it happens it will be too late for "I should"this or that, you will lose your dog forever. And your vet saying spaying would help is very wrong, it does nothing to help, just as neutering does nothing to tame aggression.
    I hope your dog will be fine and that the vet will give you some good advice.
    Be careful of scary situations with your dog for a while, the shock of the attack is still fresh and she will need to be reintroduced to noise and commotion again.
    I am not missing any point,There was a problem im fixing it,When they have battled before,it has sounded worse than it really was,And when i spoke they stopped instantly.

I was not home when it happend,My daughter was,and she had no control of the situation,They have not had any problems for months.

There seperated.Until i have a professional out here to observe that is all i can do for the time being,There both safe,and this will not occur again.

I hope Lacy recovers quickly from her wounds. Fights like that are scary.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I've been reading this thread but I haven't replied until now. I'm so glad to hear that both dogs will be okay. I hope that you'll be able to keep them separated from each other from now on and that this won't ever happen again. I never knew that having 2 female dogs could result in something like this. I've learned some very valuable information today.

And your vet saying spaying would help is very wrong, it does nothing to help, just as neutering does nothing to tame aggression.
    I dont think he is wrong one ounce,It sure does calm them down,Spaying and Neutering is not only to prevent litters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Jordan
    I am not missing any point,There was a problem im fixing it,When they have battled before,it has sounded worse than it really was,And when i spoke they stopped instantly.

I was not home when it happend,My daughter was,and she had no control of the situation,They have not had any problems for months.

There seperated.Until i have a professional out here to observe that is all i can do for the time being,There both safe,and this will not occur again.
    Then Lacy and Molly cannot be around each other when you are not home. Unless someone is home who can control them, they CANNOT be together, unless you want something like this happening again.

Also, spaying a dog = calmer dog is not true.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone