Thread: I'm perplexed! Opinions please?

I'm perplexed! Opinions please?

I went down to the basement last night to clean Molly's litterbox...but it was empty! I thought that was quite odd....no pee OR poop. BUT, she has been eating and drinking just fine. Did a thorough walk thru of the entire house and can't find any evidence that she went someplace else (nor has she ever done that!). Then this afternoon my 9 yr. old came home from school and sat in the recliner with Molly (age 4) and said she was shivering! Yikes! That didn't sound good so I called and got her a vet appt. for tomorrow.

I went down to check her litterbox again tonight and still nothing. Then I checked Ozzie's litterbox in the laundry room and there IS some poop in there that looks too big to be his (Ozzie is only 9 weeks). So, could she have decided Ozzie's is more convenient than having to go all the way down to the basement? Will cats normally do that? I thought they all liked t have their OWN pooper box!

So, do I cancel the apt. for her or keep it?

I also don't know what to do about the food situation. Molly gets Iams weight and hairball care while Ozzie gets kitten food. Well, as luck would have it, Molly LOVES kitten food and Ozzie likes her fat cat diet stuff! UGH!!! Now what? Should I just give them one big bowl and mix it all together?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Thank You, Michelle!!!

I'd say she's trying to make that litterbox her's too, and show him who's boss. My cats don't care which one they use as long as it's clean.

As for the food, you might have to end up feeding them seperately. Mixing the food is never a good idea...he'll get what he doesn't need and so would she. That kitten food can pack the weight on too.

The shivering is worth a vet visit though. I don't know...maybe she was just happy your child was home, sometimes Toby purrs so much his body rumbles and could be mistaken for shivering. Good luck and good thoughts for the visit!

Litterboxes are places where proper cats can 'mark.' There is not such thing as " your box" and "my box." THey are all community boxes.

I have 8 boxes and at times, only 4 have been used in a 24 hour cycle. This happens in particular if I added fresh litter to some and not others. Everyone has to "christen" the new litter and make it 'theirs.' So I wouldn't worry about that one bit.

As for feeding, feed them separtely behind closed doors. I have at times used 4 bedrooms, one bathroom, and the hallway to get everyone their proper diets. If you are afraid you will 'forget' someone, set the kitchen timer for 10 minutes. I have done that when things get hectic around here, as well.

Best wishes!

Litter Box

I agree with Freedom. We have three boxes and the crew of 8 will use the closest box when needed. More then once I've seen one of them go to a box only to find someone in it. They will then go to the next closest.
    Also adult cats should not get the kitten meal, we have done the same as many and had different room feedings.
    GILL & Crew;

Ok, thanks everybody! I had always read that you should have 1 litterbox for each cat that you have and I guess I thought that meant it was because they only want to use their OWN litterbox. I've never had more than 1 cat at a time so this is all new to me.

I will have to stop free feeding the kitties I guess and just give them breakfast and dinner so that they each get the right food. Molly can't afford to put on any more weight and Ozzie needs that baby nutrition. Molly's gonna be PI$$ED! LOL
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Thank You, Michelle!!!

I Certainly Agree With The Above Threads. In The Found Cat Hotel The Box, Out Of 8 Thats Cleanest Gets Used.
    I Think Molly Was Closest To That Box When Nature Called
    And She Answered!!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

So what did the vet say about the shivering?

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I actually called and canceled the appt. because Molly seems to be totally fine today and she is eating, drinking, playing, purring, etc. I can only surmise that it may have just been a minor bug she had or just the stress of getting a new baby brother this week. I'm keeping a close eye on her and if any other signs appear that make her seem not quite right, I'll get her in for a check up just to be sure!

Thank You, Michelle!!!