Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is PUMPKIN Pregnant or Not Pregnant?? HELP

Is PUMPKIN Pregnant or Not Pregnant?? HELP

Hi All,

Here is a link for some of you who are no familiar with my story on Pumpkin the young adult from Pittsburgh, PA.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=138649

Well I've been doing a lot of reading on pregnancy in cats and I'm really not sure if Pumpkin is or isn't.

I just had her at the vets about 1 week ago and the vet didn't say anything so I'm just not sure. I'm going to call my one other vet and see if there is any easy way of telling since she's still little but it seems she has a semi-firm mid-section but she's little so she might just be gaining weight.

The vet gave her a worm pill as well (even though I didn't see any signs of worms).

So any advice would be great... I'm sorta thinking at this point what did I get myself into I already have 6 cats in a 1 bedroom apartment with a foster now in the bathroom that may be pregnant.

Melissa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	end of jan 08 (4).JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	318.8 KB 
ID:	38487   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jan 28 2008 (6).JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	645.9 KB 
ID:	38488   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	end of jan 08 (5).JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	339.1 KB 
ID:	38489  
    Last edited by Anikaca77; 02-06-2008 at 12:02 PM.

WE ARE PRAYING THAT PUMPKIN IS NOT WITH KITTEN, AS SHE IS PROBABLY TOO YOUNG TO SAFELY HAVE KITTENS.
    SCRAPPY 2 WAS ONLY 5 MONTHS OLD WHEN SHE HAD HER KITTEN AND SCRAPPY 3 WAS SADLY STILL BORN.
    WE ARE PRAYING FOR GOOD NEWS FOR PUMPKIN.
    BLESS YOU FOR HELPING THAT KITTEN IN NEED!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thanks, Pumpkin actually already had a litter before and then her parents tossed her outside when she was in heat so I don't know if she is pregnant or not. Pumpkin is ~1 year and 1 month old but I just don't know if she is or isn't yet.

is it ok to give worm pills on pregnant cats?too late anyway,but i'm sure it's ok,right?
    I hope she isn't though...that would be a lot of homes to find.

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

What makes you think she might be pregnant ???
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Well she appears to be a little firm the mid section of her body. I've been doing some research but I'm not sure if I can tell if she is or not.

I'm just looking for some advice from someone who might have had a cat early on so they know the signs of a pregnant cat.....I know one time I rescued a pregnant cat (Mommy) and she I could tell because in 2 weeks she was about ready to brust well according to the vets.

One of the signs are her teats. I'm sure if she WAS pregnant, the vet would've said something (unless he's an idiot). Almost all strays have intestinal parasites, that's why the vet gave you worming medicine, and that's probably why her belly is so bloated. Check her teats. If they start becoming engorged, chances are, she's with kittens.

Thank you for taking this poor little girl in.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Would they still be a little large if she just had kittens a while ago? I'm not sure how long ago she had kittens but I know it was some time ago....

My husband seems to think she is ....it's just so hard to tell...maybe i'll just make a vet appt so she can get checked out at a different vet just to make sure if she is or isn't

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    One of the signs are her teats. I'm sure if she WAS pregnant, the vet would've said something (unless he's an idiot). Almost all strays have intestinal parasites, that's why the vet gave you worming medicine, and that's probably why her belly is so bloated. Check her teats. If they start becoming engorged, chances are, she's with kittens.

Thank you for taking this poor little girl in.

Ok. First I am sorry that this is happening. Second, The vet might not have known, if she was VERY early on in pregnancy.

When I took in AbiGail, she was pregnant. I spayed her anyways, because she was only 5 months old, and I had 15 other cats to tend too.

It should be ok for her to have been dewormed. I doubt it will cause problems.

You can tell she is pregnant by a few things. Her belly getting larger, her consuming more food and water, but the only SURE way to know is to have a vet check her.

NOW with that being said... I dont know your financial situation... BUT you have to make a decision and fast on whether you will let her have them or not. If you arent, I would suggest taking her ASAP to confirm whether or not, and then set a date to have her spayed. It wont cost much more than a regular spay. Mine was about 100-150 more, BUT my vet is very high cost compared to other states it seems.

GOOD LUCK! Kt and kitties

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

Quote Originally Posted by kt_luvs_kitties
    Ok. First I am sorry that this is happening. Second, The vet might not have known, if she was VERY early on in pregnancy.

When I took in AbiGail, she was pregnant. I spayed her anyways, because she was only 5 months old, and I had 15 other cats to tend too.

It should be ok for her to have been dewormed. I doubt it will cause problems.

You can tell she is pregnant by a few things. Her belly getting larger, her consuming more food and water, but the only SURE way to know is to have a vet check her.

NOW with that being said... I dont know your financial situation... BUT you have to make a decision and fast on whether you will let her have them or not. If you arent, I would suggest taking her ASAP to confirm whether or not, and then set a date to have her spayed. It wont cost much more than a regular spay. Mine was about 100-150 more, BUT my vet is very high cost compared to other states it seems.

GOOD LUCK! Kt and kitties

Well I would let her have the kittens, I would not take them away. I have a voucher to get her fixed so that would be fine. I'm probably going to call my vets and see if they could check her out for sure.

Thanks,
    Melissa

all the cats i've cared for in my life...i never accually had a pregnant mom.
    i'm so curious to see of she is pregnant.and thank goodness you got her before their born outside,if she is. appreciating you being so caring

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by catfamily
    all the cats i've cared for in my life...i never accually had a pregnant mom.
    i'm so curious to see of she is pregnant.and thank goodness you got her before their born outside,if she is. appreciating you being so caring
    Last night I was trying to figure out if she was pregnant or not and it seems that she has a little swollen belly but I could be wrong and she could just be gaining weight....I sorta hope she is in a way because it would be cool to see the birth of kittens but at the same time she is still so little...(with that being said I do understand that there is a world of unwanted kittens, cats, etc. and I've had my fair share in rescueing and putting kittens to sleep because they were covered in magots and I wanted to save Pumpkin) but when I held her up last night you could see the little bump on her sides compared to my other cat who is thin on both sides....well i'll be calling my vet to schedule an appt. to see if she is or isn't...
    Last edited by Anikaca77; 02-07-2008 at 10:35 AM.

Anikaca,

Please don't bring anymore kittens into the world. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but if she were spayed now (if she's pregnant) it's not the same as if she wasn't. They would completely remove the uterus with the fetuses contained in it. They would never breath, meow and would feel no pain.

Unless you're sure you'll have homes for as many as 6 kittens, I think it's best to have her spayed quickly. You yourself asked what you were getting yourself into. If she IS pregnant and has 6 babies, that means a HUGE vet bill not to mention having them all spayed/neutered.

I saw this somewhere..."If you want to witness the miracle of a cat's birth, try witnessing euthanasia".

First find out if she is pregnant, then please do the right thing. As a volunteer in animal rescue, I'm tired, as I'm sure many other rescuers are, of having to take the responsibility for others irresponsibility.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

When I said I didn't know what I was getting myself into, is because I felt semi overwhelmed reading about new babies and etc.

I myself have taken in many strays and I was involved in a rescue that no one would help me with and I had to witness such horrible things like maggots on a little tiny kitten dying on the sidewalk in the rain that I had to take to the local SPCA and have them PTS because there was no saving this kitten.....there was another cat with a bad eye infection and it can no longer see out of it's eye....another kitten with an eye infection...a few more kittens with cocididia. When I moved to my current place there was a pregnant mom cat that showed up and I took her in and I paid for her to be checked out by a vet and after she gave birth I paid to have the kittens checked out and her again and yeah it was expensive but my husband and did what we had to do, it was our responsibility since we started feeding her and we found homes for her 3 kittens and herself.

I'm not irresponsible, I've taken care of plenty of strays and I try to keep the number down but I can't destroy kittens if in fact she is pregnant.

Melissa

I am in total agreement that no more kittens should be brought into the world at this time BUT if Pumpkin in already pregnant, I don't think they should be destroyed now that they have already been created. I don't believe in abortion for people, dogs or cats. JMHO
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Thank You, Michelle!!!