Thread: "High Crimes The Fate of Everest in an Age of Greed....

"High Crimes The Fate of Everest in an Age of Greed....

Michael had a book review in the paper last week, so I had it laminated and framed and gave it to him. He was so appreciated it. He gave me his book and autographed it (the book isn't due out till Feb. 5th). I started reading it and cannot put it down!!!! I was very honored that he gave me the very first copy before it even came out in the stores. The pictures in the book are phenomenal!!!!

I smell success in his future. I am SOOOOOO proud of both him and his wife Carolyn.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

What a wonderful keepsake for you - Michael sounds like a truly amazing friend. Enjoy
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Wow, Moosmom! What a wonderful friend! I hope his book is a huge success!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Go to www.michaelkodas.com There are excerpts of his book, his picture and alot of awesome pictures he's taken over the years. His book is out TODAY!!!!!!

Cassiesmom,

I've emailed Michael to see if he'll be touring in Chicago. I'm sure if he is, I'll be house/catsitting for him.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Donna, I'm going to be watching for this book. I hope your friend will be very successful with it.

Edit: I just ordered it at Amazon.com for $16.47. I'll let you know what I think!

Logan,

Please let me know what you think. I've been reading it before I go to bed so I'm only on Chapter 4, but it's already too hard to put down.

Donna, my book arrived yesterday in the mail. As you already know, I am have always been fascinated, like you, with anything related to Mt. Everest, beginning with the book and IMAX file, "Into Thin Air". I started reading "High Crimes" last night. The introduction is so long that it took me a while to get through that. He writes with such detail. I'm not sure what chapter I'm in, but I am certainly not as far as you. I have some other things I must work on this afternoon before I pick it back up, but I can already tell that I'm going to like it. I have been interested in reading it since before it was published, as you know, since I followed his trip with such interest when you were keeping us posted.

Thanks for telling us about this book. I'll let you know my editorial comments when I'm done!

That's so cool Donna! Will be sure to check it out.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Jon Krakauer is also an excellent author. "Into Thin Air" was the first book Mike suggest I read. Then I read "The Climb". It's by Anatoli Bourhkreev (sp?). Another excellent book.

The book signing was beyond belief. Standing room only, alot of people from the newspaper I worked. The slide presentation that Carolyn put together and narrated were superb!! There was also a video of the rescue of a sherpa. It took approximately 12 hours to get him across and down. Unfortunately, he died from his injuries.

I predict Mike and Carolyn will go onto bigger and better things. They are both very talented, focused professionals that have their priorities straight. I adore them both!!

Donna, I get a weekly email about books reviewed in the NY Times and you may have already seen this, although I think it might be coming out on Sunday. Here's the link. Your friend's book is included with another one about Everest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/02/bo...bu&oref=slogin

Logan,

Thanks for the link. I was shocked when Brice accused Michael and other expeditions like his as being shoddy, giving Everest a bad name. Can you tell I'm a little protective of Mike??

I think who DID and still does give Everest a bad name is George Dijmarescu. He is a pig, as shown in the pictures. He looks like (and IS) a wife beater.

I'm currently in Chapter 10. It's been slow reading for me, because I get so emotional reading about any bad happening to Carolyn or Mike, that I cry and have to put it down. Depression, don't ya know.

If you'd like, send the book along and I'll have him sign it and I'll send it back.

Donna - when I read the review, is seems that Michael's expedition was being called shoddy because the guy who told Michael that knew that George Dijmarescu was leading it. It was no reflection on Michael at all, the way I read it.

And Michael was told this by a fellow name - Russell? - the Wyatt Earp of base camp, as he was called. I think Michael was being warned, not blamed.

hugs
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks -

Looking forward to it.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.