Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *UPDATE*Brother's Cat At Vets! My Brother's Cat Digit 11 yrs. old Needs PRAYS!

*UPDATE*Brother's Cat At Vets! My Brother's Cat Digit 11 yrs. old Needs PRAYS!

HI all,

I'm looking for advice or suggestions here.

My brothers one cat Digit he's 11 yrs. old and over the past year he has lost a lot of weight he weighed at one point probably 13 lbs. and he's now down to about 7 lbs my brother says.

My brother said Digit eats very well and just doesn't seem to be putting on the pounds. My brother also said that Digit has been throwing up hairballs every few days and that he's losing his hair like crazy.

Digit is still purring and very happy my brother says and doesn't have any bumps or anything like that on him. So I'm going to be making Digit an appointment but I figure in the meantime till we can get him into the vets. My brother has taken Digit to the vets before but he said it's about 200 a visit.

Another thing my brother said is sometimes Digit acts a little out of it but then snaps back.

Any suggestions or advice would be helpful.

Thank you,
    Melissa
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Anikaca77; 02-11-2008 at 03:59 PM.

Does he notice Digit drinking excessive amounts or peeing more than usual?

He didn't say.

If Digit is drinking a lot of water and peeing a lot it sounds like hyperthyroidism. He is likely to have an over active thyroid gland. I am taking Jack to the vets tomorrow to have one of his thyroid glands removed as he has been diagnosed with it just last week.
    From the symptoms it sounds almost identical, the losing weight but still having and appetite and bringing up furballs sound exactly the same. Jack pulls his fur out all the time due to hyper active behaviour so brings it back up, sounds the same for digit.
    Be sure to get him checked out as my vet told me just last week if it's left, because they have an increased and rapid heart beat it can cause an enlarged heart and this is dangerous and makes it harder to treat, an enlarged heart can also lead to other things like kidney failure and disease.
    I'd definately get him checked over, and mention hyperthyroidism to the vets and also mention EVERY symptom, the weight loss, the vomiting etc. They'll know straight away as my vet said as soon as I told her he was losing weight it was his thryoid as it was very swollen.

I hope you find out what it is and if Digit can be sorted out Good Luck

Excessive drinking and urinating with a healthy appetite and weight loss can be a sign of diabetes. Morgan didn't lose his fur before being diagnosed, but he got dandruff like flakes and his coat was dulled. He also would vomit more often. But the key to me was the drinking and urinating. I wouldn't begin to suggest Digit has diabetes, but a blood test would be a good thing to have done by your vet. A basic exam and blood test shouldn't cost $200. Just be sure to mention all symptoms.

$200 for a BASIC vet visit is outrageous. If this is the normal office call pricing I'd be looking for another vet! If that price included vaccinations, lab work, xrays or something then it probably wasn't that bad of a deal.

Apparently the cat has been losing weight for quite a while now, the longer that goes on without the cause being treated the more damage can happen to organs. I'd recommend someone get the cat to the vet, or another vet ASAP.

Drinking lots of water and peeing alot can be something quite serious from diabetes to kindey failures to hyperthyroid. It is not something to sit back and just 'watch', it is something requiring a vet visit as soon as it's noticed. The hair loss may or may not be connected with the weight loss.

Please make the earliest appt. for this cat you can get and allow them to at least run some basic lab tests to determine the problem.

Please keep us posted on what happens. I hope they can help the kitty get back to purrrfect health again.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

[QUOTE=Catlady711]Drinking lots of water and peeing alot can be something quite serious from diabetes to kindey failures to hyperthyroid. It is not something to sit back and just 'watch', it is something requiring a vet visit as soon as it's noticed.

Please make the earliest appt. for this cat you can get and allow them to at least run some basic lab tests to determine the problem.QUOTE]

What she said. Immediately.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

If this were one of my children, they'd be getting an appt. on a rush.....I'd do nothing less for my cats! Please encourage him to get him in ASAP!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Thank You, Michelle!!!

Hi All,

Digit is scheduled for this Friday at 11:30 a.m. to be checked out.

I'm hoping it's something simple and all goes well.

Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Anikaca77
    I'm hoping it's something simple and all goes well.
    We're w/ya on that one. We'll keep the prayers going......
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

My brother told me it was $110 just for the vet visit. Which I can believe since he lives in a city but it's still pretty high.

This is just for a normal office visit....which is why he is bringing the cat up here to this area. I think if he looked a little harder he might be able to find one out his area but I was more than happy to tell him of my vet since I really trust her with my cats.

My sister and brother are different about their cats than I am with mine. If I noticed something I'd be taking my cat to every different vet possible and he is trying just I don't think as much as I would have but I have to give him credit for trying now.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711
    $200 for a BASIC vet visit is outrageous. If this is the normal office call pricing I'd be looking for another vet! If that price included vaccinations, lab work, xrays or something then it probably wasn't that bad of a deal.

Apparently the cat has been losing weight for quite a while now, the longer that goes on without the cause being treated the more damage can happen to organs. I'd recommend someone get the cat to the vet, or another vet ASAP.

Drinking lots of water and peeing alot can be something quite serious from diabetes to kindey failures to hyperthyroid. It is not something to sit back and just 'watch', it is something requiring a vet visit as soon as it's noticed. The hair loss may or may not be connected with the weight loss.

Please make the earliest appt. for this cat you can get and allow them to at least run some basic lab tests to determine the problem.

Please keep us posted on what happens. I hope they can help the kitty get back to purrrfect health again.

We Are Praying That Digit Is Not Diabetic , And Then He Would Need Constant Needle And Special Food Which Is Not Inexpensive.
    We Are Praying That Digit Will Be All Right.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I hope he's not as well. But I know my brother will do what he can for Digit.

Glad to hear the kitty has a vet appointment. Keep us posted as to what the vet says ok?

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Well my brother had Digit at the vets on Saturday morning and the vet decided she needed to keep him over the weekend and get him better.

Digit has yellow jodnas (sp?) it's a problem with his liver.

The vet called my sister yesterday (got confused about which # I think to call) and told my sister that he was seeming a little better and that he's now more hydrated so we'll see.

I'm not sure if she is going to running more test but my sister being a PA said that the one level in his liver was very high and usually in people if that number is high means they should start looking for cancer that has spread to the liver.

So I saw Digit this morning (since I took Anika into get her teeth done) and he just seemed very lethargic so I'm hoping he pulls though but he just didn't look good.

Melissa