Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Scared for my son. Please help w/comments *Update 4/16*

HUGS.

Have a look at cataplexy here. It's often associated with narcolepsy, but not always:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataplexy

Wikipedia is a pretty conservative board, so this shouldn't sound any alarms.

But the swelling! Holy cow, I pray they get to the bottom of this soon!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

*Update*

My son just called me as he was leaving the hospital. He has myositis. The emergency room dr. put him on Prednisone and he wants him to see another dr. tomorrow. He asked the dr. if it's serious and the dr. said "no" but he still wants him to see the other dr. anyhow. It's probably caused by a virus although the dr. wasn't even sure about that. It's an inflammation of the muscles and in severe cases, it can lead to a wasting away of the muscle. But the dr. feels that his case is not severe and that he should be back to normal w/in 48 hours. My son was just exhausted and hungry. He hadn't eaten in over 10 hours and that was also contributing to his weakness. So he'll call me tomorrow to let me know how he's feeling and again after he talks to the second dr.

Thank you so much, friends, for being there w/encouragement and especially for your prayers. I know how powerful prayer is, especially PT prayers. It's worked time and time again w/my Fur Posse, that's for sure. Well, this is my kid, not my furkid, and he means everything to me. He is IT, in a nutshell, and I was doing my best to stay calm and not think the worst but, if I had to, I was prepared to fly to LA tomorrow. Thankfully, he's going to be alright and will get better and better w/each passing day. I'm off to bed; I have a screaming headache now from holding my body so tense. Thanx again and I'll update tomorrow.

I forgot to add that the dr. said that he checked his breathing repeatedly to be sure that it wasn't spreading to the chest and his heart also checked out fine. Sometimes the inflammation can spread so rapidly that it causes difficulty in breathing and swallowing but that hasn't been the case w/my son.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Awwww, I'm glad it wasn't serious. I'm glad its "all over" and the stress is now over for you both. You poor thing. ((((((Hugs))))))
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Mary, sorry I can't give you any advice about this but I just want you to know that I will be praying for your son to get to feeling better soon. I don't have kids but I bet it's really scary sitting and waiting to find out what's wrong w/ your kids
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

I just read that you said it's nothing too serious wrong with him! That's great I'm glad he's alright
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Wow thats good news. I don't understand the medical folks though, why didn't they keep him for observations, I am sure he is fine but it seems strange. I bet it will feel good for him to be in his own bed, take care of yourself and relax now Mom.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom
    Wow thats good news. I don't understand the medical folks though, why didn't they keep him for observations, I am sure he is fine but it seems strange. I bet it will feel good for him to be in his own bed, take care of yourself and relax now Mom.
    Maybe like me, he argued - I'll get better faster in my own bed! Good news, and I hope he continues to improve.
    I've Been Frosted

Mary, I am glad that it seems to be nothing serious. Although, I will still be thinking of you and your son until he is 100% better.
    You raised a smart boy there. Most men (as well as a lot of women) would not go to the doctor, much less the ER, for things.
    I hope he can get the A-OK from the second doctor tomorrow.
    ((HUGS))
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Mary, I just saw this thread and I'm so glad to hear that your son doesn't have anything serious. I hope that he'll make a quick and full recovery. Please take care and try not to worry too much. (((HUGS)))

Mary, this is the first chance I have had to come back onto Pet Talk and get an update.

I am not familiar with the diagnosis, so I need to go and look it up.

But thank God they feel he will be alright in just a couple of days. I hope you are having a good nights sleep. I am sure you are just as exhausted as he is.

Still adding a few more prayers - they can never hurt.

I will check back in the morning.

HUGS! Thank goodness he will be all right!

I hope you can relax and get a good sleep - nite nite!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I'm so glad they found out what it was. Hopefully there will be no lasting effects and he will be back to normal in no time. I'm sure both you and he were scared. I know you must have felt helpless, being so far away. Maybe now you can get some sleep.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

What a huge relief for both of you and I'm very glad it was nothing really serious or long-term. This information is from Medline:

"Myositis

Myositis is inflammation of your skeletal muscles, which are also called the voluntary muscles. These are the muscles you consciously control that help you move your body. An injury, infection or autoimmune disease can cause myositis.

The diseases dermatomyositis and polymyositis both involve myositis. Polymyositis causes muscle weakness, usually in the muscles closest to the trunk of your body. Dermatomyositis causes muscle weakness, plus a skin rash. Both diseases are usually treated with prednisone, a steroid medicine, and sometimes other medicines."

It does sound related to what Jenn's father had.

Thanx so much everyone. I looked myositis up on webmd and found essentially the same info as Lizzie wrote from Medline. I guess you're more prone to get it if someone in your family has an autoimmune disease and I have both arthritis and fibromyalgia. I'm so glad that he went to the ER, though. He said that he no longer has a dr. and has been putting off getting a new one because every time he'd get sick, he could never get an appt., so he became annoyed and dropped him. I called my friend who is a nurse and she said that's very common, which is why so many people show up at the ER, especially after 5:00. Well, anyhow, I kept after him to go to a dr., so at least he went to the ER but I think he would've gone on his own anyhow. He was really scared. He said "I didn't even take a shower today because I couldn't raise my arms above my waist plus I was afraid I'd fall in the shower." That's awful for a mom who lives 2,000 miles away to hear and not be able to do anything about it.

As soon as I hear what the second dr. has to say, I'll update. In the meantime, I've got some serious thank you prayers to do.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Wow. I am so happy for you and your son that t is nothing serious! I couldnt even imagine what you have gone through, while waiting for him to call.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!