Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Scared for my son. Please help w/comments *Update 4/16*

Mary, I was thinking about your son this morning; how is he coming along?

Thanks,
    elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

How nice of you to ask, Elyse. I intended to post tomorrow, since it will be 30 days since he first exhibited symptoms. (I can't believe it. It feels like ages ago, not just a month.) He has an early morning appointment for a checkup and bloodwork to monitor his CPK and he goes to the MDA clinic next week (I think) for a nerve conduction test. But, to answer your question, he says he's nearly back 100%. He still doesn't quite have the grip in his left hand that he used to and, during his last exam, the dr. was somewhat concerned about the reflexes in his legs. But he feels that's because he was still recuperating and it does take some time for muscle to build new tissue. A lot of his muscle tissue died and so he has to be patient. But his outlook is so much better and he tells me nearly every time we talk on the phone that, whenever he gets stuck in L.A. traffic (which is every day), that he's just grateful to be able to push the button on his power windows. When he was so sick w/the paralysis, he couldn't even do that. He promised to call me tomorrow after his checkup and I'll be sure to post the results as soon as possible. Thank you again for asking. It means so much.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Thanks for the update. I'll be waiting to hear what he says after his check up.

So, are you going to go out and visit him?

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach
    So, are you going to go out and visit him?
    Boy, I would love to, for a host of reasons, to see him, of course, and to escape this OH weather. But w/Puddy in such an iffy state of health, I'm afraid to chance it. She's back on daily subQ's and my cat sitter begged me not to make her do that. Plus her father is dying of pancreatic cancer and isn't expected to live much longer, so I'd only ask her to cat sit if I had an emergency. I even considered putting Puddy in the vet hospital so she could get her treatments but my vet feels it would stress her too much. Soooo, I guess I wait until he can come home for a visit. He usually comes in April for my birthday or May for his or Mothers' Day, so I don't have too much longer to wait.
    Blessings,
    Mary

I am so glad to read this great report on your son. Goodness, what a frightening experience for both of you.

HUGS. I was thinking of Glenn today when you posted that story about him when he was little - and Elyse beat me to it.

Glad to hear he is almost 100%.

You might want to tell him that he is growing BRAND NEW muscles!

Great news!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Wonderful news! I'm so glad he's doing so much better. Best wishes to him with the checkup.

Love, hugs, and purrs,
    Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Glad to see he is doing so much better - long may it continue!
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

I spoke to my son a little while ago and he said that his checkup went ok. They still don't like how his reflexes in his legs are responding and when they asked him to follow the pen light w/his eyes, his right eye had problems. He told them that he worked late last night and only got 5 hours of sleep and that he was tired, so they said "Ok, we'll note that and not worry about it and we'll check it again when you come back". He goes in again on the 19th for the EMG and more blood tests. He said "Yeah, great. The bruises on my arm are finally gone so that I don't look like a heroin addict any more from all the blood work. Now I'll get bruised again". But considering how sick he was, he really isn't complaining. So, I guess we'll know more on the 19th. Thanx for asking about him, everyone.
    Last edited by Medusa; 03-08-2008 at 06:43 AM.
    Blessings,
    Mary

That poor kid.
    geez...well,he certainly has many people here praying for him.myself and husband included.
    i never believed in prayers to much until these last few years.
    i find that they work.
    i'm so glad i'm into it now
    sometimes it takes a while for some of us to believe.
    i really hope he gets 100% recovery.hoping he gets more sleep also.
    he needs it to get better.rest.

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

Medusa, you mentioned your son in another post but I thought I would ask in this thread -- how is he coming along? I hope he is recovering well.

Thanks,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thanx for asking, Elyse. He's doing well. He goes in tomorrow, I think, for an EMG to determine if he's had nerve damage from the illness. His reflexes aren't exactly as good as the drs. had hoped but my son is optimistic that they'll improve w/time. As soon as I know the results of his test, I'll let everyone know.
    Blessings,
    Mary

*Good update 3/19*

I just spoke to my son and he told me that his EMG results showed that all is normal. He said that he worked out today, a good one, and that he feels he's back 100%. I guess the test itself was no fun. They put needles underneath the skin and send shocks and you have to flex your muscle where the needle is. He said it went from mildly uncomfortable to "OMG, I'm gonna pee my pants it hurts so bad!" If there hadn't been women in the lobby, he said he would've sworn up a storm. He said that every place that the dr. put the needle is sore now, as though he had blood drawn from each place. He was laughing when he told me about it, though, so he came through it ok. They want to see him again in June (Glenn said that he's getting drunk first) and he said that, if he's on the road, he won't be able to go. The dr. told him that, as long as he isn't having any problems, not to worry about it but, if he is, to get in there immediately. Glenn asked him what his chances are of getting myositis again and the dr. said "The same as I told you before: no more or less of a chance than when you got it the first time". Some people have this condition their entire lives with flares but the dr. feels that, since my son recovered so quickly (most people take 6 - 8 weeks initially), that he won't get it again. He's relieved and so am I.

Thank you all so much for your kind words of support and encouragement. It meant so much to me when I was so worried and it still means a lot to me now.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Excellent news!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Thanks for the update. This is wonderful news!!!