Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Scared for my son. Please help w/comments *Update 4/16*

Scared for my son. Please help w/comments *Update 4/16*

My son called me last night and told me that his forearms are so weak and that it's also in his hands but mainly his forearms. He's having problems gripping things and can hardly pick up his cell phone or toothbrush, tie his shoes, etc. He says he's not in any pain whatsoever but that he's really fatigued. I asked if he worked out too hard and he said that after he did certain weight lifting exercises, he did notice that his forearms were really pumped but not in any pain. No, he's not on steroids. He's 40 years old, has always been extremely health conscious, doesn't smoke and hardly drinks. He's been having bad sinus problems and was taking Nyquil and some antihistamines so I told him to stop taking them. He called me again just a few minutes ago from the emergency room because he says that his forearms are getting weaker and he's getting scared.

Does anybody have any idea of what this could be? Have any of you experienced this before? I thought perhaps carpal tunnel but he says that he doesn't have any tingling sensations. I looked up Guillain - Barre Syndrome on webmd and he doesn't have the symptoms of that either, other than the weakness in his forearms. But the other symptoms he doesn't have and he's in no pain. I'm really scared. He's in CA and I'm in OH or I'd be there w/him right now.
    Last edited by Medusa; 04-16-2008 at 05:41 PM.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I had no clue and was gonna suggest webmd.... but you already did that....

sorry I can´t help.... by best thoughts are with you and your son...((hugs))

ETA: did you used the symptom checker?... for what you said it comes like tendinitis or golfers elbow.. you might wanna try that with more details
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

He'll be in our prayers.

Our church organist almost called off a rehearsal one week because her forearms were feeling really weak and sore/numb - turns out that was the beginning of the flu for her. I hope it is nothing serious for your son.
    I've Been Frosted

So sorry your son is not well.. No Mary I have no ideas at all.. Hey I will send Lots of Prayers & Huggss.. Keep us posted ok..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I was thinking the flu too. It can make your joints hurt really bad.

Whatever it is, I hope your son the best.

Keep us updated!

Symptoms like you described could be many things. I'm glad he did get
    to a Doctor to be checked out. Prayers that the cause is simple & easily
    cured.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I will pray for your son that it is nothing serious.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Mary,

You and your son will be in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad he went to the emergency room. Please keep us posted on his progress.

(((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))

Donna

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I am glad he called back to say he is at the ER. It does sound scary, but I am praying there is a simple cause. I have heard people getting flu this year getting weird weakness symptoms, as someone above already said. So maybe that's it. Not that the flu is 'fun,' but heck, better than what you are imagining, wondering and waiting!

I have no suggestions either but can share the worrying with you. I am glad he is seeking medical treatment. Prayers that it is something easily fixed. (((hugs))) By the way, from your avatar I would never guess that you had a 40 year old son.

Hummm... both of your son's forearms and hands, Medusa? Did he say if they were equally weak, or is one side different from the other? How are his neck and shoulders?
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Your son will be in my prayers!
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom
    Hummm... both of your son's forearms and hands, Medusa? Did he say if they were equally weak, or is one side different from the other? How are his neck and shoulders?
    He said both of his forearms are weak. He said he has no pain there or elsewhere. He said "Mom, I'm afraid I'm going to be paralyzed" which is why I looked up Guillain-Barre Syndrome but it says that it usually begins in the legs and works its way up the body plus the patient has pain and he has no pain whatsoever. I'm thinking now that he may have pinched a nerve in his neck or maybe have a herniated disc or something like that.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    from your avatar I would never guess that you had a 40 year old son.
    Yes, I tell people that my son and I are the same age now.
    Blessings,
    Mary

I don't have any knowledge to shed on this, but the weight lifting may be something the doctors will key onto. You know how macho guys can get and he may just have tried to do too much. Whatever it turns out to be he had the smarts to go to the ER. Time and the body may be able to heal itself.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France