Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I saved a kitty!!!!

I saved a kitty!!!!

I found a kitty about two hours ago...she was in the field behind my house getting all soaked from the rain...I talked to my neighbor and she said that someone had dumped her...so I took her in. She looks like shes not even a year old yet. Hmmm...it makes me so aggravated that people would do something like that!!!! Anyways...I haven't figured out what to name her...anyone got any suggestions???
    If My Horse Doesn't Like You... I Probably Won't Either

Oh joy so you can keep her? Will she be indoor only?

Hard to pick a name without knowing a bit about her personality, and seeing a photo (hint, hint!)

Bless you for taking her in! She was probably in shock, being dumped and rained upon and wondering what the heck happened. Poor sweetie.

She is such a sweetie...she came right up to me and jumped into my lap...I felt so bad for her...I can't keep her but my older sisiter is gonna take her. But she wants me to pick a name! =] Anyways I'll have pictures in a few minutes!!!!

good news for the kitty and your sister, thank you for saving her.

Be sure you have the kitten combo tested for FeLV and FIV IMMEDIATELY at your vet, it is inexpensive. Please don't let kitty be around any other felines before the results come in NEG/NEG. Also, get a distemper vaccine series in her ASAP. These are the most important things to do for her, so a deadly disease doesn't take her from you and sister!

I'm sure you will figure out a perfect name for her!

Best of Luck!

okay...may I ask what those diseases are??? I'll have my sister take her to the vet...

Good for you for saving this precious kitty! Yes, please have a vet check her out first. Looking forward to pictures. Then we can guess on a name.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Rayne should be her name.... Waiting for pictures!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies
    Rayne should be her name.... Waiting for pictures!
    Ohhh... GREAT name for her!!

Can't wait to see pictures!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

IF SHES LONG HAIRED MR FLUFFY ANGEL WOULD LOVE FLUFFETTE AS A NAME.
    BUSTER KITTEN ANGEL WOULD LIKE BUSTER ANGEL IF HES A NICE MALE.
    THE FOUND PARADISE ANGEL CATS SAY THANK YOU FOR CARING AND HELPING THAT YOUNG CAN IN A WORLD THAT CAN BE SO COLD.
    YOU ARE OUR HERO!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

How wonderful that you found her and that your sister is providing a permanent home. Can't wait to see pix!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by horse_lover
    okay...may I ask what those diseases are??? I'll have my sister take her to the vet...
    The serious diseases, that are contagious to other cats are, FeLV (feline leukemia) and FIV (feline aids).

The distemper vaccine is called FVRCP

What Does FVRCP Stand For?

Cats are susceptible to many contagious diseases, most of which are caused by viruses. Fortunately, we have vaccines to prevent our feline friends from succumbing to several of the worst ones. A series of four FVRCP injections (three weeks apart) is given to kittens. The vaccine series is usually started at six to eight weeks of age. It is then given as an annual booster for the remainder of the cat's life. There are three preventive agents in the FVRCP vaccine. The following is an explanation of each of those agents.

FVR Stands For Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis

Rhinotracheitis is a severe upper respiratory infection caused by a feline type 1, herpes-virus. It is most severe in young kittens and older cats, and is one of the most serious upper respiratory diseases seen in the feline species. The virus is airborne and very contagious in susceptible animals.

Cats with this infection are lethargic, and show signs of respiratory involvement with much sneezing and coughing. There is usually a discharge from the nostrils and the eyes, and a high temperature may be present. Some cats develop pneumonia and occasionally ulcerations in the eyes. Infested cats do not want to eat or drink because the nostrils are plugged and the throat is sore. Dehydration and weight loss are common.

The disease is debilitating and chronic. Many cats require hospitalization, intravenous fluids and intensive care to help them get over the infection. Antibiotics are given to treat secondary bacterial infections. Some cats suffer permanent damage to the eyes and the respiratory system. Fortunately, the vaccine is an effective preventive agent.

C Stands For Calicivirus Infection

There are several strains of caliciviruses that affect the cat. They can cause a range of diseases, from a mild almost asymptomatic infection, to life-threatening pneumonia. Most cases show only evidence of problems in the mouth, nasal passages and the conjunctiva (mucus membranes) of the eyes.

Early signs are loss of appetite, elevated temperature and lethargy. Later, sneezing, oral ulcers and discharge from the eyes are seen. The course of the disease in uncomplicated cases is short, and recovery may be expected in seven to ten days. Some of the more virulent strains can cause severe symptoms. They may cause rapid death in young kittens and older cats.

The disease is transmitted by direct contact with an infected cat or object (bowl, cage, brush, blanket, etc.) that harbors the virus. The virus can survive eight to ten days in the environment. Carrier cats can pass the virus into the environment for up to one year.

P Stands For Panleukopenia

Panleukopenia (also known as feline distemper and infectious feline enteritis) is a highly contagious disease characterized by a short course and high mortality rate. The disease is caused by a parvovirus similar to the parvovirus seen in dogs. It is very resistant and may remain infectious in the environment for up to a year.

The disease is most severe in young kittens, but can affect cats of all ages. The first symptom is loss of appetite, followed by vomiting and diarrhea. A blood count usually shows a lowered number of white blood cells, a fact which helps in diagnosing the infection.

Infected cats usually must be hospitalized with intensive treatment such as intravenous fluids, antibiotic and supportive care. Mortality rate may reach 90% in young kittens under six months, and may approach 50% in older animals. The vaccine is very effective in preventing the disease.

Really it's pretty simple: Test for FeLV/FIV and protect against Distemper by giving FVRCP!

Also, rabies vaccine may be required by your state, as in most states.

It's all WORTH IT to have a happy, healthy and protected cat!

*UPDATE on the kitty I saved!!

She is doing G-R-E-A-T and she loves her new home at my sisters house! Oh and my sister took her to the vet and she said she got her shots and tested for those diseases. She already knew what was needed to be done so I didnt have to tell her. I couldnt remember anyways! lol WE found a name for her. She looks like my cat Kiki...so we named her Tiki because it ryhmes! Anyways just thoguht I would update. I only have one picture of her and its not the best but....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh Horse Lover she is beautiful and SOOOO lucky you found her!! Have a happy, long life Tiki!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

She just looks precious! I love her!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

She is gorgeous and she likes like a real sweetie.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!