Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on this breeder?

Opinions on this breeder?

http://www.mylilcrested.com/index.html

I e amiled her and this was a bit of what she said.
    It makes me feel like she's pretty good if she is supporting good breeding, I'm going to ask what testing she has done and if she shows. She rarley breeds, she said her female goes into heat spring/summer and she will have the puppies by fall that's if she decides to even breed her.

Finding a good breeder is VERY important, and if you would like help to find a puppy before I have litters I would be happy to help. Please do not buy the cheapest puppy you find, most cases they have not been socialized and really cared for, cresteds can carry genetic issues if the breeder just breeds for lots of puppies to sell. A lot of times you can even purchase an expensive crested from a BAD breeder, so please becareful.
    A good breeder is very picky and will usually check up on you, call your vet to make sure your animals have had care, so forth.
    This breed is very rewarding if you have time for them..they are like kids and want to be around people.
    I start grooming my pups right away so they are not scared of the clippers at all, and basically stand while I clip their faces and pads on their paws. They are very sweet dogs. They like to follow you around, go for car rides..basically you could carry them in a baby sling 24/7 and they would be happy..lol
    I have 4 kids under 6 yrs. So my pups are used to kids..however my kids know how to handle cresteds. Since they are a toy breed you do have to be careful of them, they can get breaks easy if they are let to jump off things or out of your arms.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

You're thinking of a crested? She seems like she def. cares more about the dogs than as a business. I really like how she offered to help you.

Niņo & Eliza

Ya I kinda have a thing for hairless animals.
    I like how she wanted to help too.
    I said maybe even a retired show dog and she said she will keep her eyes open for them and for any nice puppies she sees.
    See ALL my pets here

Please tell me they have more than two females if they have a "few litters a year". Are any of their dogs shown yet? There really isn't much info, but if that's it I'd say she's just a dog lover about to become a byb. Choosy words make her website look good, but that's about it. I see she ships dogs. How soon would she be willing to ship? Sometimes that gives you a hint about what kind of breeder she is.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    Are any of their dogs shown yet?
    Sorry, but what is the importance of if a dog has been shown yet or not, so long as it has the proper health tests performed on it?

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

This is what she said about showing and testing.

I have had the vet check their legs for patella's, and they are good. I have not had their eyes tested yet, they do not have a eye vet here, or around here. I am going to the specialty show for cresteds in CO and have heard they have a station set up for testing there, so if they do my girls will be done.
    Tango is too little, they need to be 1 yr old for testing, both of his parents are tested and he will be when he is one. I have had their eyes checked and look clear by my vet, but they really do need to be cleared by a eye doctor.
    My boy is in training to be shown, we are so excited for him. He has a strong line of champions in him. My girls have not been shown but are standard, and hope to get some nice show pups from them.
    I have a couple past pups that will be shown this year as well
    Please tell me they have more than two females if they have a "few litters a year"
    Why would she? I'd rather see less females then a place over run with them..More females to me means more of a byb.
    Jordan only has Visa and I think she's a pretty dam good breeder.
    I see she ships dogs. How soon would she be willing to ship?
    She said to me she ships to Canada every once in a while if she knows they are going to good homes. Since she doesn't even let her normal puppies go without all it's shots I'm sure it's the same for puppies being shipped.
    See ALL my pets here

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    Why would she? I'd rather see less females then a place over run with them..More females to me means more of a byb.
    Irescues concern is that she could be Over-Breeding her Females.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by critter crazy
    Irescues concern is that she could be Over-Breeding her Females.
    Ohh sorry I didn't get that. I thought she ment have more so she could always have puppies.
    See ALL my pets here

OMG! I love Cresteds! : D I am really excited for you, they are the most awesome little dogs.

That breeder, however, looks WAYYY less than satisfactory, quite frankly. Her dogs have not been shown, and they have not been completely screened for genetic health. Those are two ginormous NO-NOs. Even if she has plans to show and health test (which trust me, that is the story that many BYBs tell)... it has not been done. And her dogs are already being bred.

I would advise that you drop this breeder like a hot potato... and check here & here for reputable breeders. This breed is LADEN with BYBs and Millers, some of them appear to be good, but you really need to at least go with a breeder who has tested for every single genetic fault before breeding, at the very least. I know you are passionate about responsible breeding, and I know you're smart!

ETA: OoOoOoOo! These dogs/breeder look amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by BC_MoM
    Sorry, but what is the importance of if a dog has been shown yet or not, so long as it has the proper health tests performed on it?
    Ummm.... the importance is HUGEEE! Not in breeds who are proven through their work (like Border Collies), but with Chinese Cresteds... absolutely, being proven as a quality show specimen is vital BEFORE even thinking of breeding.

Say every breeder bred dogs willy-nilly, with no show experience. What would happen to our breeds? Their conformation would just disintegrate. What makes them the breed that they are (their appearance, movement, structure, and yes, even temperament) would be extremely diluted, if not ruined completely, eventually. Showing a dog PROVES, beyond the breeder's personal biased opinion, that the dog is an excellent example of the breed (of course, on top of health testing, temperament testing, and working when applicable) and is worthy of passing on it's genes. After all, why even HAVE breed standards if there is no venue in which to prove that your dog exemplifies it?

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Quote Originally Posted by bckrazy
    Ummm.... the importance is HUGEEE! Not in breeds who are proven through their work (like Border Collies), but with Chinese Cresteds... absolutely, being proven as a quality show specimen is vital BEFORE even thinking of breeding.

Say every breeder bred dogs willy-nilly, with no show experience. What would happen to our breeds? Their conformation would just disintegrate. What makes them the breed that they are (their appearance, movement, structure, and yes, even temperament) would be extremely diluted, if not ruined completely, eventually. Showing a dog PROVES, beyond the breeder's personal biased opinion, that the dog is an excellent example of the breed (of course, on top of health testing, temperament testing, and working when applicable) and is worthy of passing on it's genes. After all, why even HAVE breed standards if there is no venue in which to prove that your dog exemplifies it?
    Erica, well put. May I borrow this sometime? When people ask that question I always resort to saying something eloquent like, um..ah...well of course everyone thinks their dog is beautiful, but...um...you need an objective eye to see if they really meet the breed standards and can perform as the breed was intended.

Defensive aren't we. I see you've decided you like this person and are probably going to ignore our advice regardless.

Yes, my concern was overbreeding. One female and a couple of litters a year? How's that happen? And I should hope her puppy-dog isn't being used for breeding already. She doesn't say the age of her females either. Or how long she's been breeding. Or who she's used as a stud for the breedings with which dams since her one male is just a puppy. No past litter info, makes me wonder if she ever had a litter for real.

Showing is not the ultimate importance for all breeds. Showing ruins some breeds in my opinion. But a toy breed has little other proving ground besides the show. And showing also tells you how invested into the world of dogs a breeder is. "A few of her pups being shown next year or so" means buyers are showing. It means nothing about the breeder. Its just put in the website to confuse people. And why can't she tell us who to look out for in the show ring? I could tell you I have a few dogs showing this year, which I don't. Where's the backup on this bit of useless info?

I'm not concerned about shots when shipping. If this is what the breeder brought up when asked, I'd drop her on the spot. What I'm concerned about is shipping too early and causing possible fear or aggression problems for life. If you are going to ship you should wait a few more weeks than if you are not. BTW, when does she release her pups?

Honestly, the website itself screams byb in other aspects. She describes pups who will follow you around the house. Most pups will. A breeder needn't say this unless they are trying to appeal to impulse buyers who want a cutsie little puppy. I failed to find any relevant information to the breeder, just cutsie little puppy stuff and info about caring for your puppy. Any smart byb knows to appeal to the buyer by throwing down some care info about how fragile their tiny wittle puppies are and how they need grooming. Not convincing me.

She wrote you and said "A good breeder is very picky and will usually check up on you, call your vet to make sure your animals have had care, so forth." She's trying to pull the wool over your eyes by making you think she's a good breeder because she's going to call you. Its doesn't take a good breeder to call.

Touting champion bloodlines also raises a flag for me. Do you know where I see the term "champion bloodlines" being advertised most often---in puppy mill ads and even in pet stores. Heck, the champion could be 10 generations back by now and they could still say the pups are from champion bloodlines. We all should know by now that bloodlines don't make the puppies automaticly perfect. Good breeders don't need to have "champion bloodlines" all over their website. They simply list the parent's titles with their picture or individual info.

Her whole website seems kind of elusive to me. As if she's only giving info to those who contact so she can make something up as she goes. If you went through her whole website and took out all the info that's repeated or not pertinent to her breeding program you get half a paragraph of info. All of it is "duh" info as well: like you get shots and akc papers with your purchase, and I handle the puppies from birth. Well duh I should hope so for all of those things. No reason to list them in your website other than to fill in some space.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    Defensive aren't we. I see you've decided you like this person and are probably going to ignore our advice regardless.
    That is rather harsh, considering buttercup has already said she is sorry, and that she hadn't thought of it in that way.

OMG! I love Cresteds! : D I am really excited for you, they are the most awesome little dogs.
    I know I love them I'm not sure if I will be aloud one or when I will be but I firgured I'd start looking just incase

Thanks Erica I will check out the links I quickly scanned the last one quickly and they even have hairless cats so the puppies would be used to mine lol.

Defensive aren't we. I see you've decided you like this person and are probably going to ignore our advice regardless
    A little ignorant aren't we. I'm not some 13 yr old brat. If I was just going to go ahead and get a pup from this person I wouldn't have asked for opinions. I didn't understand what you were saying and after it was explained I said sorry. I don't fully know what to look for with breeders that's why I aked for people to look.

When I know for sure if I can get another dog I will probly also try and go to a show and talk to some people and see their dogs.
    See ALL my pets here

yes yes, incredibly cute.

but how long would this one last before we see the thread on here saying its gone to another home/shelter and you get yet another animal?

pardon my disapproval for any breeder willing to ship puppies like merchandise.

oh and im not trying to start a fight session, this is a question i actually mean.

thank you so much for the sig ellie! (whisk_luva)
    Jades animal friends;Pickle;RB Blue;RB Purple;Mitz
    RB Peanuts;RB Sweetie;Puss Puss;William
    RB Ripple- 1996-23/7/2007;Treacle;Spot;Red

"there is no trouble from which a cat can't exume itself from by using a little timely purring."
    Ripple- 1996(?)-2007

but how long would this one last before we see the thread on here saying its gone to another home/shelter and you get yet another animal?
    What are you talking about? I've NEVER re homed a dog or cat in my life.

When I was younger and because of my parents I had to re home little animals but I was hmm like 13. I re homed my bunnies in September because I went back to school and it wasn't fair to them. Oh sorry should I have kept them and let them sit in a cage all day? If I had known that I was going to get a job offer and leave school I would have kept them. I also have never dumped a animal at a shelter.
    pardon my disapproval for any breeder willing to ship puppies like merchandise.
    Just because they ship doesn't mean they view their dogs as merchindise. There was a PT foster on here who has just got shipped by plane to another PT home, so are you saying they are wrong, cruel and think of the dog as merchendise?

You really have no clue what your talking about and you know barley anything about me. Your a stuck up 13 yr old who doesn't care what you say to people and will soon enough have what's coming to you. I hope Karen sees to it that you are banned for the havvoc you have caused here in the past and apparently the future.
    See ALL my pets here