Thread: Ugh...Ringworm

Ugh...Ringworm

Ok, I have a foster cat that has ringworm. I'm very familiar with this fungas. Normal procedure at the shelter I work at is humane euthanasia. I understand that it's not to be cruel, but with so many animals and people in such close quarters, we can't take the risk with such a contagious fungal infection. However, I've fostered this kitty, Fiona (a senior, DSH/siamese tuxedo female), for almost a month now, through having a kitten at age 8, URI (upper respiratory), and spay surgery, and I don't want to just toss it all out the window. And she's a wonderful cat who'll make someone a great pet, eventually. She's had the bare spot on her leg since she had arrived at the shelter, but luckily (and surprisingly) no person or animal at the humane society or at my home has contracted it from her. It was noticed at her spay surgery, a culture was done, and, 10 days later, positive for ringworm.

I've gotten the okay from my supervisors to go ahead and treat her (a process lasting a min of 4-6 more weeks). Last night she got a full LymDyp (lyme-sulfur solution that isn't rinsed off and must air dry). Yes, the whole house now smells like rotten eggs. Now, she just needs the solution placed on the one spot once a week for at least three more weeks, or so says one vet. Other places say to apply the lymdyp twice a week.

I'm familiar with ringworm, but not the treatment. Anyway, I've done a bunch of research, gotten many ideas, but I'm just wondering what have regular people actually tried, liked, how long did it take, and how much did it cost. I know the shelter will pay for some of the needed meds and future fungal cultures, but I'm willing to spend some of my own money to try other, hopefully faster & better, alternatives or additions. I've seen a few homeopathic remedies (i.e. petalive, fungrx) but they're main ingredients are simple, natural antimicrobials (witchhazel & tea tree oil). These items I can obtain much cheaper individually than through some magic internet concoction (altho I don't entirely doubt they effectiveness). Also, I wonder if I can use the lymdyp treatment in addition to another spray or homeopathic method.

Anyone had any luck? Oh, and did anyone do anything for all their non-affected fuzzy pets to prevent them from catching ringworm? I don't want to make all my kitties (and me!) suffer through the lyme-sulfur sol'n if they don't need to or there is something nicer. And, after the first treatment, is it still contagious?

Thank you!!
    Last edited by tonnerrebird; 01-23-2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: forgot something else to ask

When bubba was young my vet caught that he had ringworm right at the onset thankfully. I treated the few spots several times a day and I bathed him and my other dog with treatment to prevent the other dog from getting it. I also tried to keep them separated, I had no other animals at the time to worry about.

I did vacuum lots too since the spores can live for a long time. I also washed my hands all the time, we can get it too.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Unfortunately I don't know the specifics of price ranges or exact meds.

However a couple of our vets tend to use a Woods light to diagnose ringworm with, dunno if that's any cheaper than the fungal culture though. The idea is that ringworm will 'floresc' back under the light. I think it's supposed to be like 80% accurate.

I wish I could remember for sure, but one vet uses these wipe pads to wipe the affected areas with as opposed to the whole bath thing. For some reason I'm thinking of the Maleseb Plegets, but I could be wrong on that one.

I think that one used to also use some kind of pill called something like fulvicin(sp?) that was supposed to heal the new skin as it grew out.

We don't see a whole lot of ringworm cases, particularly in cats, so I'm not as familiar with the whole procedure involved. I'm more familiar with what ringworm is rather than the treatment for it. Sorry I'm not more help to you.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Dawn...hey it works on oily ducks.

Thanks for the advice. I did just find out from a coworker that Dawn (must be that brand) dish detergent is great for bathing unaffected, exposed pets to prevent them from developing ringworm themselves. Tomorrow I have off, so sorry kitties, it's bath-time friday.