Thread: Can you crate train a 6 year old dog?

Can you crate train a 6 year old dog?

I bought a soft crate for Max yesterday thinking that we would get him to sleep in it at night so that he isn't getting up during the night to poop and then eat his feces. Well, after an hour and a half of whining he got his way and was let out and returned to sleep on the end of my son's bed. My question is this: Is a 6 year old dog to old to crate at night if he's been used to sleeping wherever he wants and pottying any time he wants? I'm trying to change his behavior by restricting him from his potty tray unless we are there to clean it right away. Any thoughts?

No he's not too old to crate but changing ingrained habits will be a long road. You will need a lot of patience and determination. Also don't give in to what he wants. If he's suppose to be crated at night, then don't let him out because that will teach him if he puts up a fuss he will get what he wants.

www.StyleArtc.com/portraits

Also, you need to introduce the crate gradually - just forcing him into a cage and making him stay there is going to be a frightening, miserable experience, and he will not learn to like being crated. Make it something he wants to do...coax him in gradually, don't force him. Give him treats/praise, etc. If you play fetch, maybe throw the toy in the back of it so he learns to go in by himself to get it without being scared. Patience, patience, patience. My dog was about 3 years old when I introduced it, and she was ok with it after a couple months.