Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Desperate situation...need advice!

Is it possible to place all your litterboxes together in one spot? I know it's probably a lot to ask since you have so many cats. I have all mine in the basement and that helps, too.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

My laundry room isn't large enough for more than the 2 that I have in there. Same goes for using a bathroom. You can imagine how attractive that would be in one of my main rooms. I do have room for more than the 3 that I have out in their cottage, but I don't have the problem out there From what everyone is telling me, I need more boxes, but if I keep the ones that I have scooped I don't see how that will help.

Mary, I'm jealous that you have a basement, that is perfect. My friend has 11 cats and at night she tucks them in her basement like you do yours. When you go in her house you would never know that she has cats! It always smells Spring Fresh!! They know where their bathroom is and go downstairs when they need to during the day. I think that makes a huge difference, plus there's plenty of room for all the necessary boxes. What I don't understand with my kids is why if they have a fresh clean box that they would pee outside of it. It's not a dribble either, like when there is UTI or crystals.

You DEFINATELY need more litterboxes. I have 7 cats, and 7 extra giant litterboxes (some of my cats are big).

Yeah they don't look exactly like framed artwork for decor but they get the job done. I have 3 in my front porch area which is actually the front part of my livingroom. I have 2 in a spare bedroom upstairs, and 2 in my own bedroom. I figure I'd rather look at, and have my company look at a whole bunch of litterboxes, than have my house smell up and be ruined with cat urine.

Get a few more boxes and it should help at least a little until your video cam catches the culprits so you can have them vet checked for UTI's.

Good luck.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Purr-tender
    From what everyone is telling me, I need more boxes, but if I keep the ones that I have scooped I don't see how that will help.
    I can only venture a guess here but I think it's because they more or less claim a litterbox as their own. Then if another cat does use theirs, there is one extra that's clean. It definitely helped to get more litterboxes plus, as you say, having them in the basement. My house is the same way as your friend's, no odor unless a neighborhood cat walks by and has the audacity to sit on my patio or in my shrubbery, then they might spray against a window.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Mine don't do this but I've heard from others that some cats prefer to pee in one box and poop in another. Since you don't have very many boxes and they poop in them then this may also be a reason why they're peeing outside of the litter boxes. Some cats are very picky and won't even use a box that others have used. I only have to scoop 2 times a day and mine hardly ever use all 8 boxes but they are there if they need them. I'd also rather put up with looking at and cleaning more boxes than having pee and urine odor throughout my place. I sure hope that something will work for you. Good luck.