Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please welcome Pirate to the Pack....New pic in #35

Please welcome Pirate to the Pack....New pic in #35

This sweet old girl arrived yesterday, although I've known her a bit for a number of years. Pirate was brought to the shelter in 2005 by the same musher who dumped Anvik. She was nine at the time and the options for old sled dogs are pretty limited. After a couple failed fostering attempts, Pirate ended up at my neighbor's place.

We used to be friends with these people and I thought they were a good home for Pirate. They have other dogs and lots of horses. They built a beautiful new home last year--that was when they quit talking to us mostly. We aren't rich enough and our house isn't nice enough. Over the weekend, they called the shelter claiming Pirate was a foster dog after over 2 years with them. Said she was crippled, incontinent and "unsuitable" to be allowed inside their new house. They suggested that she needed to be euthanized immediately. They dumped her back at the shelter yesterday morning. I picked her up a couple hours later. We had decided there would be no new additions for awhile. I certainly don't need anymore dogs, but there was no way I was letting Pirate die in the shelter!

What Pirate really is, is depressed, confused, a little stiff and stone cold deaf! You can see in the first picture that her eyes are cloudy, but she sees well enough to get around. She hears nothing though. She has no startle response; didn't react when 20 or so dogs starting barking at my truck; no response to loud voices, clapping ect. She's either deaf or she takes husky selective hearing to a whole new level!

She's also quiet, gentle, a little shy and very sweet. She settled in quite nicely last night. I crated her in my bedroom. She went in with no trouble, although she didn't like walking on the lino much. She spent almost 8 hours in the crate without making a sound. She also didn't make a mess--no feces, no urine. She ate and drank plenty last night. She obviously has some control of her bodily functions! I think the problem, besides callous people who are more concerned about their floor than their dog, is that Pirate isn't housetrained. She's always been an outdoor dog; she may have some old dog leaking problems, but she's not incontinent! Her back end is stiff and likely causes her some pain, but she is by no means "crippled"! Sleet is stiffer somedays. This morning when I walked her to her pen, she had a little wiggle in her stride and tentatively wagged her tail. Not sleeping outside in -25C temps for one night already helped!

I have a vet appointment booked for Thursday morning. She's going to get a senior blood panel, a complete check-up and hopefully pain control medication. I think a soft, warm bed and a little Metacam will make a world of difference for Pirate! She may not have long left on this side, but she is not ready to go yet. Age has it's privledges at my kennel so she will spend whatever time she does have left getting pampered and spoiled.

Welcome Home, Pirate.
    Last edited by Glacier; 01-23-2008 at 12:41 AM.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Aaarrrgg.....!!.. welcome home mate!!

how sad how it turned out to you.....but you surely just found out the best home ever!! you´ll have a happily ever after life with your new mommy.... and quite lot of good friends there.....
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

What a lovely dog. I'll never understand that type of situation.
    You are a saint!

Major LES here....

Gentle {{{HUGS}}} to you Pirate... welcome home sweetie!

And special {{hugs}} to you Glacier for taking her in.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

What a beauty she is..Sad isnt it how people are?

Some love and comfort will make all the difference in the world to her!

Welcome to Pt Pirate,i look forward to hearing updates on you,and ofcourse lots of pictures sweet girl!

She is a stunning senior lady I say. How did her name come about? She doesn't look like a pirate?

Welcome home Pirate!!
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

Hello, Pirate! How very nice to meet you today! I like your pretty ears. I thought from looking at the first picture they're grey, but in the third picture I see they're brown, too. Gentle hugs to you, sweetie! And huge hugs to your mom, too! I hope you get some nice petting today. Consider yourself petted for me.

(P.S., Tamara, you said Pirate is sometimes a little stiff and sometimes confused -- I was thinking that applies to me, too! )
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Oh my gosh... and she looks so sweet and loving. How could anyone be so cruel and just heartless to an older dog?!

I'm so glad she's with you. I've been checking dog general to see who the new addition was since reading Tehya's thread.

Welcome home sweet Pirate... big hugs and kisses to you my dear!

Oh, I have mixed emotion LES here. Very sad about her prior situation, but very happy that she now has a loving home to live out the rest of her life in.
    I love happy endings.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

wow - you've done it again!
    congrats to Pirate and to Tamara!
    those other people will get their's someday.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Hey sweetie it sounds like a lot of humans have really let you down but rest assured you have hit the jackpot sweetie.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

What a heartwrenching story! THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH for showing Pirate some REAL love for whatever time she has left! I agree that old bones and negative temps are not a good match! Poor girl! I am so happy to think of her on a nice warm bed now though!!!

She's beautiful too!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Gentle hugs and many kisses to you sweet Pirate.
    Don't worry. Just relax. You have a forever home now.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

It amazes me how *shallow* people can become. Pirate is beautiful. Bless you Tamara, for taking him and giving him the home he deserves!

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

Quote Originally Posted by gemini9961
    How did her name come about? She doesn't look like a pirate?
    No idea. That was her name when she was surrendered to the shelter. I suppose since she can't hear me anyway, I could call her anything!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving