Thread: A simply question

A simply question

How many , daily, wet food a dog needs to be properly feed?
    She weights between 35 pounds and is 1 year old.

Now,she is on hunting season, but she will stop in a couple weeks when the season ends.

And no I don't hunt, she *belongs* to a hunter that doesn't care about her if she can stand out on her legs or she scape a meal or two. I try to do what I can for her.
    She loves canned food better than dry foot. And she could use a couple pounds on her body.
    Thank you

I'm attaching a picture of we both at the trainer's
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feeding ONLY canned food will rot her teeth more quickly than otherwise, and will give her pain until the vet can remove the decaying teeth.

The amount for each food should appear on the label and will be based on weight. For an active dog (during hunting season) you may want to increase how much she receives.

If she is receiving a mix of wet and dry, then the amount needs to be adjusted accordingly.

Sorry not to be specific and say "one can" or "one cup," but really it depends on the food and that is why I am suggesting you read the label.

In any case, you should probably speak to the owner of the dog prior to just starting to take care of her... You can do the dog a whole lot more good by not building resentment with the owner. I would never start feeding someone else's dog without first speaking to them about it, even if the dog is apparently being abused (and in the picture, the dog doesn't really look undernourished)... A helpful neighbor would offer to feed the dog if the owner has to go away overnight, etc, but someone who just shows up and puts food in may be seen as a meddler, which could create some intense defensiveness. He may think that you will be calling animal control on him next. How would that affect the situation? If you just take the dog to care for it, it's theft...no matter how we on PT view our 'furbabies', in the eyes of the law, they're property. Please go through the proper channels if you suspect abuse.

If he is starving the dog, I agree that the best thing is to get the dog to someone that can properly care for it, and may involve sneaking food to it before it is taken, but please, please, please try talking to him first. If he is a responsible hunter (I realize that some on this board may think this an oxymoron), he realizes that a starved dog does not have the energy to hunt. I realize that some people who hunt with dogs think that hunting them when they are hungry will make them hunt better, as they know they will be fed when they get home - that's how some people train their hunting dogs. The ethics of hunting with dogs is a conversation for another thread, though.