Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horrifying Dreams?

oh my gosh thats horrible!

I've heard of sleep paralasys before but..ahhh scary!

Hope you find a way around it, or something.

*shudder* sounds horrific!
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing

Rottieluver45, I am so sorry to hear you are experiencing such dreams. I hope you find a way of overcoming them.

Rachel and Lizzie, I was surprised to see your posts, I have experienced the same thing. It started many years ago when I would wake up from naps (I stopped napping due to panic and the feeling I had stopped breathing and was truly going to die), but in the past few years it has started happening at night. I have found that it is when I am involved in more things that it does happen (the opposite of Lizzie), and assumed that it was just a panic attack. It is interesting to hear that others have experienced the same thing, and that we are not alone in this.

I know the feeling of having night terrors. I've woken up sobbing before (hard to explain to the SO might I add). One question for you though your not using a nicotine patch right now are you? I've had many patients that have complained of intense nightmares if they keep them on over night. It's actually one of the known side-effects. Just a thought.

Critter Mom to: Zoe-Rott/Pit Mix, Chloe- Persian, Lisa & Lola-Hermit Crabs, COMING SOON Pinky Pie-Cornsnake

Quote Originally Posted by Sparklecoon
    I know the feeling of having night terrors. I've woken up sobbing before (hard to explain to the SO might I add). One question for you though your not using a nicotine patch right now are you? I've had many patients that have complained of intense nightmares if they keep them on over night. It's actually one of the known side-effects. Just a thought.

Nope, no nicotine here! I haven't had another experience-so far so good!!! I really think it's due to stress, and my unusual sleeping patterns....or at least I hope so. I'm trying to sleep better and stress less, we'll see how it turns out!

How odd that we're all talking about the supernatural, dreams, angels, etc.

I just posted this thread about something kind of similiar: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=138439

In that thread, I relayed what has been happening to me lately - in the past year - and I wasn't sure if for part of it, I was awake or sleeping.

From what I know medically and psychologically (I'm a pre-Med major with a Psych minor.), while sleeping, we ARE basically paralized. Unless we have those uncontrollable jerks or are partially awake, we CANNOT move. Its our body's way of recharging while we sleep. Its is why we feel refreshed - or sometimes in pain - because of HOW we slept. Don't we often awake and wonder how on earth we SLEPT in such a strange position all night to have woken up so uncomfortable?

Another thing I noticed with your situations (and mine too, I've been living in my version of hell for the past year - and have been constantly thinking of my kitties not being with me) is that everyone is STRESSED and have a lot going on. Our dreams are the result of our consciousness and unconsciousness, especially from what we're currently dealing with or NOT dealing with during the day. A LOT of times our dreams define what has happened during our days and we get to re-live those moments, but in a veiled way, an interpretation of sorts.

Think of how those dreams made you feel - trapped, stuck, worried, scared, helpless - stressed physically. Then think about how you feel when you are stressed out and have a ton on your shoulders. You may find that a lot of the same feelings you're having while experiencing these horrifying dreams are the same as when you're dealing with stress in the daytime.

This is just a hypothesis and in no way negates what you've experienced. It sounds so terrifying and in my dreams in the thread above are the same way. I'm unable to move and only get relief when I call out to God to help me! Its so scary when you are paralyzed and cannot help yourself - as in sleep. I've OFTEN wondered A: why no one heard me screaming to come help me and B: how loud I'd been screaming, not IF I'd been screaming. The first time, I even asked my mom if she heard me in the night and she was like, "what?". Guess that means no.

Its interesting that the two events are linked though: stress and the dreams. I wonder if we can control these from happening if we try to control the stress? Its worth a shot, I'm going to focus more on that as it has numerous benefits becides these terrible dreams.

I used to have Night Terrors my entire childhood. I don't remember what happened to me, I just know that I'd wake up terrified and SCREAMING and CRYING at the top of my lungs. My parents would come in and I'd be better. I don't remember a thing now...I wonder what caused it. Its really interesting that Ginger's Mom has actually experienced the terrors...I wonder if thats how it is for everyone.

This is all so interesting!
    Last edited by NoahsMommy; 01-23-2008 at 12:51 PM.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Sparklecoon, I read in your profile that you are in school to become an RN. Very cool!! Congrats and good luck...we really, really need kind, caring nurses. What school are you going to?

You mentioned you work with pts that are having scary/bad dreams due to overnight nicotine patches and that being a known side-affect. I didn't know that, very interesting. Are they having night terrors too?

I've heard about and have spoken with pts (and friends/family) about certain anti-depressants causing bad/creepy/vivid dreams, especially the Effexor. Most recently, I've heard about the horrible dreams caused by the anti-smoking drug, Chantix. I've spoken to two patients that said that the only reason its hard to stay on it is the truly terrifying dreams! The drug, otherwise, works well to help them stop smoking.

Very interesting...
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

So sorry you have to go threw this, It sounds really terrifying.

I have experienced other things like I'll wake up really fast at night because I'm scared my heart stopped.

It's all in my head but it scares me, I think it's all from stress.

I saw somewhere that the sensation of sleep paralysis happens when your brain wakes up before your body, in reverse of the usual order of things. I've had it very mildly a few times, but I think I have an analytical enough mind that I go, "OK, body, time to boot up!" It scared the *&$! out of me before I understood what the mechanism was.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Wow, I must be an odd duck then because I've never had these sleep/
    dream episodes. I've had dreams where I want to wake up & I do. If a
    dream becomes scary, I always wake up.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I experience it from time to time. I switch between different sleep disorders every few weeks to months. Right now I'm in insomnia. Usually I'm just plain paralyzed for a few minutes with the sleep paralysis. I can't get up to shut off the alarm clock or answer the door. It takes a good ten minutes for my mind to get my body moving. Only once or twice have I seen figures over my bed. Both times I'd say they looked like black forms of the tall big-headed alien guys popular to sci-fi. I knew it was the sleep paralysis though. Sorry I don't know how to stop it, I haven't been bothered enough by it to ask. I figure taking drugs might yeild worse side effects than the problem itself.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I guess I should update my profile, I passed my state boards in May! LOL. Yeah alot of drugs have some little known/ distressing side effects. One thing to remember is that if, during a clinical trial, one person has a certain side effect it goes on the label as being a possibility. With that said, per hospital policy we always remove nicotine patches prior to bed to prevent that specific one.

Critter Mom to: Zoe-Rott/Pit Mix, Chloe- Persian, Lisa & Lola-Hermit Crabs, COMING SOON Pinky Pie-Cornsnake