Thread: ? for those with giant breeds.

? for those with giant breeds.

Does anyone have a giant breed dog and other dogs and have this problem. When it comes time to feeding each pupper has their bowl in a different corner of the kitchen. All are fed at the same time. Henny has no interest in her elevated bowl (currently atop an old cleaned out litter tub.). Any ideas how to keep her more interested in her bowl and not the smaller dogs bowls?

She's not agressively going after their food and as soon as their smaller heads pop into view she backs away. The thing I worry about is bloat (gastric torsion) because she scarfs from their bowls while she has the chance.

Also, Henny is approximately 33inches tall at the withers and I'm having a hard time finding an elevated bowl that I deem tall enough for her. The ones I've found at our local pet stores are more or less for decorating purposes and only raised a couple inches off the ground. I want something that looks nice as well as is funtional. I'd prefer to not have to make it but am more than willing if a suitable one can't be found.

Well I hope a previous Dane owner can help you. I dont have experience with that (yet! ). There are a few people on here who have owned Danes.

As for not eating from his bowl, maybe you could put some plain cooked rice on top or hide treats in his food.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

I have two thoughts.

First, you may find much help and guidance from an IW club. I found one which accepts questions, just googling Irish Wolfhound.
    http://www.iwclubofamerica.org/

Then I thought why not google what you asked us? So I did. I put in
    gian breed dog dish. There were quite a few sits came up. Here is just the FIRST one.

http://thevelvetsnoot.com/bowls-wrou...s-c-22_54.html

They have tons of stuff for giant breeds, not just bowls. I can understand you may not like the prices, sorry! Just some browsing may give you some ideas, or likes to groups which may help you.

I got into bichons just a year ago. I have found both PT and one bichon group invaluable! Good luck.

I posed the same question to the folks on an IW bored I'm a member of the best we could think up besides doing things that I'm already doing is feed in a different room. I think it may be an easier idea ( I Heart baby gates).

That website isn't half bad. Those prices are about what I was expecting to pay and very stylish. Thanks for the link.

I don't have Giant Breeds... I have GSD's but while I was looking at the items on that website (Velvet Snoot)
    I realized that I have a plant stand at home that looks just like some of those!! And I bought it at Home Depot for $12 on sale!
    I realize that the dish won't drop into it like a raised food dish would. (to hold it in place) But it's just something I thought of while looking at the site.

This is what I have for my dogs.
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753809
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

This looks more like an Irish Woolfhound than a Dane, but whatever the breed, I don't think I would worry too much about it. German Shepherd show lines are notorious for bloat, but I haven't seen anything about bloat for I.W or Danes.
    But as for raised food bowls my vet discourages people from using them for the very reason that it could cause bloat, especially for Shepherds I know this is a no no. As vets will tell you, in the wild, wolves eat from the ground and not from an elevated position. I would leave her bowl on the floor, maybe feed the little ones before or after her to cut down the frenzy.

Yes, her dog is a wolfhound, someone only mentioned Danes as an example of another Giant Breed.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by shepgirl
    This looks more like an Irish Woolfhound than a Dane, but whatever the breed, I don't think I would worry too much about it. German Shepherd show lines are notorious for bloat, but I haven't seen anything about bloat for I.W or Danes.
    But as for raised food bowls my vet discourages people from using them for the very reason that it could cause bloat, especially for Shepherds I know this is a no no. As vets will tell you, in the wild, wolves eat from the ground and not from an elevated position. I would leave her bowl on the floor, maybe feed the little ones before or after her to cut down the frenzy.
    Danes are notorious for bloat. Anything with a big deep chest and narrow waist is. Better to be safe then sorry.

*Thanks Ashley*

Mercedes wont eat out of a high dish either What I do is feed her seperatly and put her dish on a stool. lower then the ones you get at the pet store but off the ground. Make sure your dog doesn't drink lots of water after he/she eats. I try and lift the water right after eating as this causes the stomach to flip.

In case you didn't know mercedes is a dane

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

I have a giant breed (English Mastiff)

I feed raw so I don't really have to worry about bowls, but on occasion I do feed canned fish and I don't elevate his bowl.

From what I've researched is that it's more important to keep them from running and playing or drinking a lot of water after eating to help prevent bloat.

My boy eats breakfast then come in for a long nap.

But if you have a problem getting her to concentrate on her food I would feed her in a different room.

Good Luck.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets