Thread: Lets hope this works.

Lets hope this works.

I've spent the last year and a half trying to convince Alexa that we should medicate Tuna for his spraying. When he sprayed the side of our new couch Alexa finally caved in. We took him into the vet yesterday and gave us a prescription, I don't remember the name of it since Alexa took the prescription with her so she could get it filled after work. I know that it started with an A and had a very complicated sounding name!

I really hope this will help him. It's gotten to the point where we have removed the curtains from our sliding door and every night we have to cover the front door with a tarp. I'm also hoping that after this he'll stop mounting Pocky and maybe we can finally stop having to seperate him from Corkscrew.

He is also obese now because we haven't been able to put him on a diet, he gets angry when his food bowl is empty and will run off to go spray. He's up to 19.8 lbs!

Lets keep our fingers crossed that we can finally start to get this under control!
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Tuna sounds like a bit of a handful! I really hope this helps him. It sounds as though it would be easier on everyone.

That's such a hard thing to control and I really feel for you and Alexa. Is the name of the medication Amitriptylin?

I've recently read a lot on cat peeing/spraying and Prozac seems to be the number one choice from recent studies. The studies found that the medication could easily be discontinued successfully without any side effects or for the cat to return to that behavior. Just additional info.....my head is full right now.

Either way, I really hope this is a solution for you guys. It's so disheartening to deal with this. Best of luck!
    Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Blue
    That's such a hard thing to control and I really feel for you and Alexa. Is the name of the medication Amitriptylin?
    Yes, that is what they gave us for Tuna. I did mention kitty prozac when we were at the vet but this is what she gave us. She did mention that there were other options if this one didn't work. I'll have to do some research now and see the difference between that and Prozac.
    I've been Defrosted!

Hope this does the trick!

Does this mean you have tried other remedies? Has he been neutered? How odd that he still "mounts" anyone!

Vita started spraying and after having the vet test her and say it was behavioural, I started using the Feliway. That is working great for us! I spray it on the places she was marking, and I made a slip for over her collar and spray on that material. We need to keep it up for 30 days, we are just about 15 day into that. She has not sprayed ONCE since I started! And she is more loving than ever!!

I hope that your remedy works as well. It really is a nuisance when they don't want to cohabit nicely.

I have talked to my vet about Emily and her peeing "issues", and the vet suggested that we could try the amitriptyline. (I decided not to because Emily also has kidney failure.)

But I do have another cat on Prozac and it was a life saver! So I hope this works for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    Hope this does the trick!

Does this mean you have tried other remedies? Has he been neutered? How odd that he still "mounts" anyone!
    He was neutered as a kitten. We've tried feliway, both the plugins (we had three pluged in) and the spray. We've also tried giving him rescue remedy, none of which stopped the spraying.
    I've been Defrosted!

Amitryptilene worked for my cats for a little while but then they started up again. I've heard good things about kitty Prozac but mine are on Clomicalm, which is usually for dogs, but they've had no side effects whatsoever and what's better, no peeing. If Clomicalm should stop working, I'll give Prozac a whirl. I feel for ya; I know how difficult it can be but we can't let our homes be peed on. We live here. Let us know how it works for ya.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Laura, I'm so sorry to hear that you're having peeing problems. When I was having some of these problems, my vet suggested that I buy cat attract litter which as far as I know is only sold at Petsmart. You can also buy it online too. I just added it on top of the old litter and it worked very well.

I've also been using feliway plugins and spray but now I'm using a different type of plug in and spray called Nutri-Vet Pet Ease Pheromone Plus which you can also buy at Petsmart. I also had to add 3 more litterboxes to my household.

I tried Clomicalm on Storm and it helped at first but then it stopped working and it made his very lethargic and sleepy. My vet also recommeneded prozac but I wanted to try a more holistic approach. Now he's on an herbal pill called Calm Spirit Tea Pills and they've really helped with his aggressiveness and grumpiness. It did take about 2 weeks for them to kick in though. I sure hope that you'll be able to find something that will help Tuna. Good luck.

[QUOTE=krazyaboutkatz
    I tried Clomicalm on Storm and it helped at first but then it stopped working and it made his very lethargic and sleepy. [/QUOTE]
    One thing that I forgot to mention: if you do try Clomicalm, give it at night before bed. I think it probably helps them sleep better at night, which is why my nights are so peaceful. As I said, they have no side effects whatsoever and they don't act drugged or lethargic at all during the day either.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Freedom has used Feliway successfully on Vita...she does not recommend the plug-ins. She has a little cloth 'sleeve' over a collar Vita wears, and put a little shot of the Feliway in that.

My vet said cats should ideally have exposure for four hours...yeah, right, my cat stays ANYWHERE that long! The vet also wanted to try a med - but I asked to try the Feliway first.

So I came up with the Feliway Collar idea, and my vet loved it! It has worked very well also.

If you have any leftover Feliway, might want to give it a shot.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda