Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats you opinion of selling puppies in a shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    Unfortunately, it's true. Not one single reputable breeder will give a puppy to a pet store. You may not be supporting puppy mills, but you would be supporting backyard breeders who, in my book, are just as bad (if not worse) than puppy mills.

Some backyard breeders can be 90% better than puppymills, puppymills are TERRIBLE over 200 dogs in the property dying daily and owners not even caring. Did you know what some puppymills leave the dead dogs so the others would eat it? As disgusting as that sounds its true. Backyard breeders arent as bad as puppymills. Backyard breeders are people that breed their dogs without showing them or doing any health testing, and breed mutts sometimes, but that does not mean they DONT love their dogs. They are just too blind to see the true. Some BYB are families and have one or two dogs that get the care any of out dogs do, and sometimes are bred only once. They do get all shots and care needed and then sold for a fair price. Some pretty much BYB are persons who breed that DONT show, nor do health testings but dogs get the same LOVE any other dog does. And i know this because i have asked around many times. In the other hand puppymills are people who DONT know how many dogs they have, dogs dont get vet care at all, sometimes they dont get food, they sleep outside over 10 dogs per cage at once, breeding over and over again untill its death.

EDITED: SOME puppymills facts..
    Bitches are bred from their first season, every season until they are about 4 years of age. Then they are physically and mentally unable to raise anymore puppies.

The bitches belly often drags on the floor - stretched by having all those puppies and not getting good quality food or exercise. Sometimes this is so bad they have to have a "tummy tuck" (that is if they get placed in a rescue).

If they are lucky they get taken in by a rescue, if not they might get clubbed over the head with a shovel (or kicked) or shot and fed (yes fed) to their fellow companions. They may even be turned loose on the mountains and die a slow painful death.

They never get any vet treatment, their puppies are taken away from them at 4/5 weeks of age.

The stud dogs never ever get any companionship - they are kept in isolation until a bitch is brought to them. Stud dogs are usually kept until they are 8 years old (if they produce enough offspring each litter) at 8 years old again they are physically and mentally worn out.

Bitches often have their front legs tied together when they are taken to the stud dog to prevent them from running away...

Food and water is scarce - usually being provided in meagre amounts when the bitch has to feed her puppies.

The stud dogs get the same fate as the bitches when they are finished with.

Both dogs and bitches find it difficult to walk - this is due to their muscles which have wasted away due to lack of exercise and a quality diet.

Most dogs never see the sun - they are kept in any container that can be found - caravans, sheds etc. Scorching hot in the summer, freezing cold in the winter.

The puppies are transported in overcrowded lorries to pet shops and "centres" - many puppies never make it - only the strongest survive. Those that do are riddled with worms, fleas etc.

Dogs that do make it out can be traumatised for life - never having walked on a lead or known the kindness of a human. Many have serious health problems, quite a few are blind due to ingrowing eyelids, overgrown hair or ulcers that were never treated.

After reading these i am glad puppies endup in petstores, even if it means people buying them. We CANT stop puppymills unless the goverment does something about it, so you might as well save them from torture.

I have NOT yet seen a BYB do this to any dog, nor have i found facts so chilling as these about them.
    Biscotties, the perfect companion for your latte.
    I love my girls Nena & Lola, there just perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieMommy
    I agree but i rather the puppy be in a petstore than dying in a puppymill. Another thing i always say, NOT everyone qualifies to adopt. Just for the fact that they rent, or dont have a fence yard or even smoke, yeah i heard that one. The dog needs a loving home not a palace. And some people are just judge wrong. I tried every shelter in my city before getting my dog, i would of adopted but the shelters down here are tought. So oh well they lost their chance for being too picky. Again, i am NOT saying every shelter is the same.
    I see how you would think having a puppy in a petstore is better than being at the mill it comes from, BUT if no one buys the petstore puppies there will be no more puppy mills. They would be stuck with all their puppies. If the puppies die at the mills, I do feel horribly bad for them. Wish I could help them all. If we bought all the puppy mill puppies the millers would only breed more.

I understand how a lot of adoption programs are getting pickier all the time. Although, there are other options than a pet store puppy or shelter dog. If you must have a purebred dog go through a RESPONSIBLE breeder! Someone who lives and breathes their breed. Responsible breeders are picky as well, but only because they know the BEST home for their breed. A responsible Border Collie or Australian Shepherd breeder would never let a puppy go to a home with no yard or any time to spend with the dog. These breeds need jobs. They are super smart and a simple apartment life with someone that works 12hr shifts is no life for these breeds.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I don't care for any store that sells puppies and kittens. I don't care how well they're treated. Same as everyone else has said. Those people buying animals from stores are taking away homes from animals that could have been rescued or adopted.
    I was very saddened to learn that my cousin bought a small, designer breed dog from a pet store Her daughter works in the same store, too. I hope she learns about rescuing animals, somehow. She's only 17 and so wise in other areas. Tried to explain it to my sister in law, why it was so bad. It's too bad we can't get more people educated about this. And some people just don't care, I know.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Quote Originally Posted by lute
    I see how you would think having a puppy in a petstore is better than being at the mill it comes from, BUT if no one buys the petstore puppies there will be no more puppy mills. They would be stuck with all their puppies. If the puppies die at the mills, I do feel horribly bad for them. Wish I could help them all. If we bought all the puppy mill puppies the millers would only breed more.

I understand how a lot of adoption programs are getting pickier all the time. Although, there are other options than a pet store puppy or shelter dog. If you must have a purebred dog go through a RESPONSIBLE breeder! Someone who lives and breathes their breed. Responsible breeders are picky as well, but only because they know the BEST home for their breed. A responsible Border Collie or Australian Shepherd breeder would never let a puppy go to a home with no yard or any time to spend with the dog. These breeds need jobs. They are super smart and a simple apartment life with someone that works 12hr shifts is no life for these breeds.
    See the thing is people WONT stop buying from pet stores because not listens, so puppy mills will NEVER end. So rather them be suffering i rather see them go to homes where they will be loved. And the lucky ones make it to the petstores anyways, which is truly sad. If goverment does not do something about it, puppymills wont be stopped People have been trying for years. I myself would not go inside a pet store that sells puppies.

I agree with you about buying from a reputable breeder but not all of us have the money that they ask. I would howevr buy from someone who bred their healthy purebred dog with another purebred and that puppies are loved and have all shots, but most important are healthy. That type if called BYB but they have lots of love to give, they do everything a breeder would except they dont show nor test their dogs, so its another way to go i guess. As long as i meet the family first and you know check every puppy.
    Biscotties, the perfect companion for your latte.
    I love my girls Nena & Lola, there just perfect.

ok, Thanks everyone you have given me lots to think about.

See the thing is people WONT stop buying from pet stores because not listens, so puppy mills will NEVER end. So rather them be suffering i rather see them go to homes where they will be loved. And the lucky ones make it to the petstores anyways, which is truly sad. If goverment does not do something about it, puppymills wont be stopped People have been trying for years. I myself would not go inside a pet store that sells puppies.

I agree with you about buying from a reputable breeder but not all of us have the money that they ask. I would howevr buy from someone who bred their healthy purebred dog with another purebred and that puppies are loved and have all shots, but most important are healthy. That type if called BYB but they have lots of love to give, they do everything a breeder would except they dont show nor test their dogs, so its another way to go i guess. As long as i meet the family first and you know check every puppy.
    I understand when you say that not everyone has the money for a puppy from such an outstanding breeder in their back pocket, but wouldn't you agree that's a good thing. It shows the breeder that you have thought long and hard and saved your hard earned $$ for a well bred puppy. As for the BYB, they aren't as bad as puppy mills, but the same genetic health issues can show their ugly heads as the puppy mill puppies. All it takes is a few genetic tests! It's not that hard!

People CAN stop buying from pet stores! It IS possible! They only need to be educated! It's not going to happen overnight. Instead of just thinking "it's better the puppies are here then at the mills" try and educate people while they are in the petstores. When I worked at a petstore that sold puppies my job was constantly at risk because I would see someone interested in a puppy and redirect them to the local shelter or a responsible breeder. I've also been banned from another petstore because I did this. What makes a difference is so many people I talked to left the store, puppyless.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

No.

Can you refuse to take the puppies? Or... work with an adoption agency to get them adopted out to loving, APPROVED homes? Then end the sale of "livestock", as you put it. You could even use the cages and space to have adoption days for local rescues.

There is NO reputable way to sell puppies in a store. None. NO reputable breeder sells their puppies to a pet store. By continuing that vicious cycle, you will then become an aid to puppy mills/BYBs, and we all know you're a better person than that!

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

If you don't have that money... ADOPT! Besides, every single puppy I have ever seen for sale in a pet store is ludicrously overpriced. Labradoodles for $2000. "Toy" Yorkies for $1500. You can buy most any breed (besides those prone to c-sections) for less than $1000, from a reputable breeder.

If you recognize that puppy mills are BAD, and BYBs are BAD, why argue over what is the lesser of evils? They are both BAD. Why does it even matter if a BYB is breeding purebreds or not... those dogs have not been proven in the breed ring, or through working, to be of breeding quality. They have not been tested to assure they are genetically sound and healthy. They are pet dogs. They might as well be mixed breeds, in my opinion. Breeding poor examples of a breed for many generations will ultimately result in many, many dogs that do not live up to what the breed should be. Backyard Breeding & Puppymilling literally DESTROYS breeds.

The true appeal of pet stores & BYBs is the convenience. Because people are impulsive. And it's just common sense, that people who are impulsively buying a puppy are most likely NOT commited to that puppy, and will most likely NOT properly care for it for the rest of it's life. Especially when all of the vet/training bills start piling up, for their unhealthy, poorly bred, unsocialized puppy.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I would euthanize puppies before I would EVER sell them to ANYONE for resale.

NEVER under any CIRCUMSTANCE would ANY responsible breeder sell a puppy to be resold in a retail outlet. Period.

Get the store. Place the puppies already there carefully with required spay/neuter. If you want puppies or kittens in the store, take in puppies from the local shelter to place, or allow rescue orgs to come in on the weekend and adopt out.

Champion and Obedience titled Rottweilers

ALWAYS owner handled and trained.
    I CARE ABOUT HEALTH SCREENING
    All remarks are my opinion only.

No part of this post may be copied, pasted, or forwarded without my express permission.
    Property of the original poster only.

I don't approve of pet stores selling puppies either, but since you're looking into a business venture and the pups come with the store I would go ahead with the purchase. Pet shops today do pretty well, people will buy everything they can for their pets. To pass on an opportunity to start a business would be ridiculous since you didn't bring the pups in yourself. Like was mentioned...screen your buyers carefully, make it mandatory to "sleep on it", and make them sign a contract to spay and neuter . Once these pups have good homes you can start working with shelters. Our PetSmart does this on weekends, they have a shelter come in with pups, older dogs and cats. They get walked around the store to advertise them and they've found many new homes for these animals. The shelters sell with a spay/neuter contract and don't get their new pet for a week to make sure the people really think it over. The people also sign that the shelter gets the animals back if the buyers do change their minds for some reason. It works out great because most of the people will sign up for puppy classes or for ordinairy classes depeding on the age of the dog.
    I would say to go ahead and buy the business. I would love to own my own pet shop myself.

When good, quality purebred breeders sell cats/dogs, it is for the betterment of the breed and to keep the strong, healthy bloodlines running. Puppies and kittens sold by pet stores do not concern themselves with selling pure, disorder free bloodlines....they are in it for one thing....the mighty dollar.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Thank You, Michelle!!!

Personally, I wouldn't buy a pup from a petstore. I go in and torture myself enough looking at em! And they are all from HORRID backgrounds. I would get a Cpl good Rescues and just have them come to the shop certain days of the week.
    I was looking to get another dog to add to the Family. And I went to 4 different shelters in the area.. Looking for a Pittie.. or Bullie Breed. Only 2 of the 4 would adopt to me because I rent. Yes I could get another breed.. But, I wanted one that no one else wanted. And if my landlord OKs it, why couldn't I have one?? Well, I found me a Shar-Pei/Boxer/Pit mix. :-)

There has to be shelters out there trying to get there dogs seen. Good luck!

Muddy4paws, I'll just tell you about the one place I've ever been that sold puppies. It broke my heart. I wish it was not necessary for that store to be in business. The store is immaculate, and the puppies are darling. They sell a small selection of collars, toys and leashes, but the focus is mostly on the pups. It's just that I know there are dogs and puppies (and cats and kittens) waiting in shelters for homes. But, what you're describing sounds different than that to me - this business you're researching carries both the animals and the supplies.

I think (and this is my uneducated, unenlightened opinion) that a generation or two ago, there was less awareness about puppy and kitten mills than there is now, so getting a pet from a pet store was a different situation.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom
    Muddy4paws, I'll just tell you about the one place I've ever been that sold puppies. It broke my heart. I wish it was not necessary for that store to be in business. The store is immaculate, and the puppies are darling. They sell a small selection of collars, toys and leashes, but the focus is mostly on the pups. It's just that I know there are dogs and puppies (and cats and kittens) waiting in shelters for homes. But, what you're describing sounds different than that to me - this business you're researching carries both the animals and the supplies.

I think (and this is my uneducated, unenlightened opinion) that a generation or two ago, there was less awareness about puppy and kitten mills than there is now, so getting a pet from a pet store was a different situation.

I appriciate that, I know peoples opinions have changed. Im having a groomers in its place now. I am still having to leave the options open for the puppies at first because as I said they are classed at live stock so they will come with the business. I havent really got any other choice in that matter, the owner is going to be unable to take them with her so their really isnt any other option unless anyone else can think of one?

Best option:

When you assume the store, terminate your relationship with the puppy suppliers. Rehome your existing puppies with responsible families and do not charge an exorbitant amount. Give a rebate if they can provide proof of spay/neuter or spay/neuter the puppies yourself and add it into the cost. If you can, do a home visit. If the family isn't willing to allow you into their home, don't give them a pup. Sketch up an adoption questionnaire, agreement, and contract.

Once the existing puppies have been sold, your problem has been solved