Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit Advice - *UPDATE*

Rabbit Advice - *UPDATE*

We found our rabbit, Bunny Button, in a park near us when it was very young. He has grown and was quite healthy until a week ago. It was like over night he went from healthy to lethargic and not eating. We've had him to the vet twice now and he's diagnosed with an upper respiratory along with a slight fever. We were sent home with antibiotics which I have to administer twice a day. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this before, and any advice?

He has lost his appetite and was barely drinking. It seems some of his appetite is returning and I did notice him drinking water, but he still seems to have a fever off and on and still not very active.

We have him inside in a cage and I'm offering a lot leafy green veggies, pellets, hay, etc. I fear we're going to lose him. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by K & L; 01-13-2008 at 02:02 PM.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Antibiotics kill the good bacteria too. You need to get probiotics and get some down him. Look for oxbow critical care it's the best for ailing herbivores. Feed dandilions if you can find safe untreated ones. They help cleans the system.

If he stops pooping you can try syringing(needless) some oil down him to help lube things up to move. It would be okay to give him some vit c till he's better too but never give it to a healthy rabbit because their livers make it for them and you can mess up their system by giving it to them regularly but for an emergency boost it's okay. A mer half gram of vit C per day is enough or just feed him some high C content foods which is even better than synthetic C. Kale has lots of vitamin C

Thanks so much. He seems to be declining rapidly. I keep asking myself where we went wrong, but from reading I guess they can be carriers of snuffles? I can't get him to eat much at all now. We feel just terrible.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

How old is he? If he's eating his veggies, I wouldn't worry about him drinking much. I hope he fels better soon. Miss Hoppy HATES the syringe, but sometimes finds the antibiotics yummy, fortunately.

Oh I am so sorry. It is so important to take him back to the vet or get that Oxbox Critical Care and force feed him. I had to do that with Benny and it saved his life. I also recieved from my vet a second med to increase his appatiate. Some grocery stores do carry dandilions at least here in Ohio. Are you taking him to a vet who specializes in rabbits? Best of luck to you.

Thanks everyone! My husband has him at the emergency vet right now. It is one that specializes in rabbits, and those are hard to find around here especially on a Sunday.

He quit eating and drinking and was just laying there. He declined so rapidly it was unbelievable. I'm sitting here on pins and needles waiting to hear.

I don't have any advice but am keeping you in my thoughts...
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Prayers for Bunny Buttons from RI.

I don't have any good advice but he'll be in my prayers!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Thank You, Michelle!!!

Oh gosh! I hope the vet can do something to save Bunny Buttons. I'll be keeping all of your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Feel better Bunny Buttons, your family loves you so much!

Oh no! Come on, Bunny Buttons, hang in there! Lisa, I have given bunnies Nutri-Cal in the past and it immediately perked one up that was looking like it was at death's door. It might be worth a try?
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Bunny Button is home!! They said he still has a chance he may not pull through and a couple of days will tell. He was dehydrated and had a horrible abscess inside his mouth. No wonder he wasn't eating!!! The vet feels it may be from a tooth but not quite sure. She sent him home with an another antibiotic to adminster just once a day.

We took our drop trap for cats and placed him outside in the sun and grass hoping this will encourage a little grass eating. He did drink water!! She wants him caged for a few days and I do believe this is depressing him. Another reason we felt outside might help.

I've got a picture of his poor abscess (will post later). They had to lance it from the outside and shave a portion of his face. $200 later lets hope this little guy pulls through!

Come on Bunny Button....you can do it. You made it this far!!!!!

Many prayers for Bunny Button.

I am so sorry. After Sasvermont's Denver passed away I learnt that these respiratory things are really dangerous for bunnies. I hope Button will pull through.

Come on Bunny Button, you're a strong little girl and you've come so far.

(((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

Donna

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!