Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Woody's in PA!! See Karen's new thread

Woody's in PA!! See Karen's new thread

If you need caught up or just want to look at this ADORABLE puppy again please see the original thread:
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=137634

jenn_librarian in Allentown, PA is getting a puppy from AdoreMyDogs in Wichita Falls, TX and I wanted to make a thread dedicated to Woody's transport and would like everyone to take a look at the route he's be taking and see if anyone would be able to help.
    http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...&2s=pa&2z=&r=f
    I've helped with transports before, but I've never set one up.
    I think the first thing that needs to be done is to find out who is willing to help and where they'd be willing to drive to and from. So please take a look at the driving directions and post here in this thread if you're able to help.
    Once I know where we have legs to be filled we all can put our feelers out to other people and groups that we know of that do transport and see if they'd be able to help.

We're looking to have this transport happen next weekend the 18th/19th and or 20th.
    Last edited by pitc9; 01-23-2008 at 07:20 AM.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Woody's Wanderings ...

Quote Originally Posted by pitc9

Jen_librarian in Allentown, PA, is getting a puppy from AdoreMyDogs in Wichita Falls, TX.

Take a look at the route he'll be taking and see if anyone would be able to help.
    http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...&2s=pa&2z=&r=f

So please take a look at the driving directions and post here in this thread if you're able to help.

We're looking to have this transport happen next weekend the 18th/19th and or 20th.
    Pack a lunch, Woody, and bring your favorite pillow!

The basic MapQuest shortest distance / quickest time route is a whopping
    1,500 Miles requiring about 23 Hours of driving time (pee breaks NOT factored in!)

In normal Transport Segments - that would require about 15 drivers each covering 100 miles;
    or 20-25 drivers each covering 1 hour of the actual trip mileage.

Now look at the route and determine IF we have Pet Talkers distributed along the way ... Uhht-Ohhhhh.

Consider the route part between Columbus, OH and Harrisburg, PA & the PA Turnpike - via I70 & I76:
    That's about 350 miles; and I can only think of 2 PTers (Joyce & Robin) on that section -
    and they're both near the Columbus end.

If we start to "bend" the route to pass near PTers - it gets longer and we need MORE drivers.
    (Example: Bend it north from Columbus to get to Akron - Youngstown - Pittsburgh (a long segment that I could do) - and you add 2 more un-filled segments to fill one new one ... not a good deal.)

It might be less frustrating to buy Woody a couple of airline tickets and
    FLY his fuzzy butt most of the way.

/s/ Phred

If it were me, I'd look into this...I doubt he weighs that much either, this would probably cost less than the price of gas and be much faster. http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...ates/index.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by pitc9
    If you need caught up or just want to look at this ADORABLE puppy again please see the original thread:
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthr...34&page=1&pp=15
    Link does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q
    If it were me, I'd look into this...I doubt he weighs that much either, this would probably cost less than the price of gas and be much faster. http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...ates/index.jsp
    That may be a better plan, even... considering how expensive fuel is these days. It's about $3 a gallon here.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter's Mom
    That may be a better plan, even... considering how expensive fuel is these days. It's about $3 a gallon here.
    I know that shipping for any dog and any weight UNLESS puppy fits under seat with passenger is $200 for SURE. I have spoken with breeders who ship their puppies across the US and all told me the same from $200-$250 no matter the weight, and i agree might be cheaper than gas
    Biscotties, the perfect companion for your latte.
    I love my girls Nena & Lola, there just perfect.

Well, considering the fact that I don't have that amount to put out at this moment, and the fact that I've done transport for many a rescued cat (and some dogs), I was really hoping to go that route. I know gas is $$, but I guess I was hoping for a little help. Oh well. Will see if the transport group I contacted will be able to help, since I've helped them out before, otherwise I'll just drive.

I MIGHT (big big big might) be able to help from Springfield, MO to St. Louis, MO.

I currently live near St. Louis, but I just moved from Branson so I could always make a trip to Branson to meet up with friends and stop by Springfield to help out. But I would need to convince my hubby of it first, of course, and see if time and money allows.

EDIT: Oh, this next weekend I definitely won't be able to as I will be in Hawai'i. I'm very sorry guys, if it were any later I would probably be able to convince hubby

facebook

I think you'd have better luck trying to get donations of 10 or so dollars from people towards a plane ticket. Would make more able to help and make it less costly besides in the end. Just a thought. Even if you drove the whole way yourself, it would cost you more in gas than a ticket would cost.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian

Well, considering the fact that I don't have that amount to put out at this moment ...

... otherwise I'll just drive.
    "Just driving" is possibly going to cost MORE than a plane ticket would.

Estimated Costs:

One-way mileage = 1,500 miles; Total miles = 3,000
    Average car gets 20 - 30 mpg on the highway - let's say you can get 25 mpg

3000 divided by 25 mpg = 120 gallons of gas used
    120 gallons x $3.00 gallon = $ 360.00 in gas costs
    One 3,000 mile Oil Change = ....20.00
    Direct Car Costs = $ 380.00

Human Costs:
    * 23 hours driving each way = 46 Hours on the road
    * figure at least 2 Motel Stays for R&R @ $60.00 per stay = $120.00
    * Food --- 3 days of Junque Food @ $6.00 per stop x 12 stops (every 6 hours) = $ 72.00
    Human Food & Lodging = $192.00

Total Trip Cost = $ 572.00

I think I'd shop for a plane ticket.

/s/ Phred

I think I'd go for a plane ticket, too. You'll save money which will be needed for vet costs when he arrives.

Vela - Ummmm... yeah.... I don't feel comfortable with that. I know we raised money for Ally, but that was to basically save her from being PTS and getting a foster home. This isn't saving the pup's life, and I wouldn't feel right asking for money. My car is an economy car, and I get about 400+ miles highway miles with my car on one tank of gas. I know transport driving isn't free... I just thought it might be an option. I'm not good at asking for help, so normally I just do it myself like I planned to from the start. It's ok... I'll keep checking with OTRA and if all else fails, like I said, I'll still travel it round trip.

a) Linky doesnt work for the puppy thread...

b) I'd be willing to send some money via paypal to help with airplane ticket.. Definitely a better way to go. I understand not having the money to buy it up front, but in the long run, it would be the better option. No miles on car, cheaper than gas+oil change/tire rotation+motel rooms...

Im sure a lot of people would be willing to send you some money, even if you dont actually flat out ask... I'd offer to do a leg of the transport if I had a better (mpg) car. Itd be better for me to send money than put it in my gas tank, as I get 16 mpg on good days. (Beefy Xterra )

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

I fixed the link in the first post!

I could do a plane ticket, just not by the weekend of the 18th. I've been out sick from work and have lost pay for being out of sick days. It's just been a tough month when mortgage and all that has to be paid. I'm trying to refi my mortgage(as well as the line of credit and the 2nd mortgage), but haven't closed yet.