Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Additions - Magic and Maya *Pictures*

New Additions - Magic and Maya *Pictures*

After losing our cat Maximus, our house felt very empty (even though we have a mini menagerie!) Our dogs, Lucy and Molly, were distraught. As ridiculous as that sounds, it's true - they were searching the house for Max, looking in all of his secret little spots, and whining like crazy. This continued for about 12 hours. I decided to submit a few applications to adopt a cat from a local rescue groups. I figured someone would get back to me in a few days, since processing them can take time. I felt super guilty emailing people the day after we had to euthanize him, but I also felt that having a new pet to concentrate on would help us heal.

Surprisingly, a woman emailed me back in a matter of hours, and told me I was approved! She said that they were having an adoption event the next day at a local pet store where they keep many of their cats for adoption. I said that I would go, but just to sort of browse (yeah, right!) I told myself that if I didn't meet the "perfect" cat for our family, I would leave empty handed, and come home and continue to wallow in self pity.

We must have looked through their "adoptable cat list" on petfinder about 100 times that night and the next morning, waiting for the adoption event to come around. We were pretty set on adopting a kitten, because we figured it would be easier for a kitten to acclimate to our busy household, specifically our dogs. But, I saw a special girl on their site named Magic that I couldn't take my eyes off of, she was beautiful. Despite what someone had done to her, she was perfect. Magic was found outside with her litter of kittens, in the cold. When they first took her in, they thought she had lost the tips of her ears to frostbite. Then, a vet examined them and commented on how symmetrical they looked...and discovered that they had actually been cut with a blade to look like that. Her ears are perfectly rounded, and I can't imagine the pain that this poor girl went through when they did it.

So, I went the next day with Magic in mind, and when I got there, she was the first one that I saw. To my horror, I also saw a woman in front of her cage with it open, petting and talking to her. I swallowed the lump in my throat and told myself that it would be GREAT if she got adopted, as long as she went to a good home....there were other cats, after all! They asked me if I was there to see any specific cat, and I said "Magic, but it looks like she has a visitor". They laughed and told me that was just her former foster Mom! Yay! I met her, held her, and she fell asleep in my arms. She was a tubby girl from sitting in a cage for so long with little activity, and wasn't a "kitten" (though young, at about 1 year old), but I thought she would be perfect for us. I decided to take her, and they were thrilled - Magic had been waiting for 4 months for a home!

As I walked toward the adoption desk to fill out the paperwork and pay her adoption fee, I saw a cage with 3 kittens in it. Two oo them were curled up together, and the other was running around the cage wildly, chasing her tail. Every time she got too close to the other 2, they would growl and hiss at her. I asked what the deal was - the 2 kissing kittens were still partly feral, and the single kitten was the last of her litter. They asked if I wanted to meet her (you can see where this is going...) I picked her up, she started purring and licked my nose. Yeah...."I'll take her too". I figured that little Maya would have a blast playing with my other 2 cats.

So, I brought them both home. My fiance hadn't come with me - he woke up feeling sick. He said that he trusted my judgment and sent me on my way. Looking back on it, maybe I sensed that I would get 2....I brought 2 cat carriers, lol.

Maya is exactly what I expected - she's the friendliest kitten I've ever met. She actually purrs the entire time while she sleeps. She kisses people every time they pick her up, and seeks out attention where ever she can get it. When we have friends over, she goes from lap to lap and curls up, purring like a motor boat. It took her less than a day to like the dogs, and she's starting to play with the other cats now. There is still the occasional hiss, but they're doing great.

Magic is so special - she likes to give head bumpies for affection and is really mellow. At first she was freaked out by the dogs and didn't like the other cats much, but she has been here for 6 days now and is doing awesome. She's still not actively playing with the other cats, but isn't hiding from them and sniffs their butts when they're not paying attention. She doesn't seem to mind the dogs any more either - they both got the picture REAL quick, with a nice swat to the nose.

Without further adieu, here are Maya and Magic. I hope Maximus would approve of my choices.

Magic's Petfinder Photo

at our house...

I'll post Maya's in the next one....

Thank you Kay for the awesome siggy!!!

Now for Maya...

her petfinder pic

and at home

with Lucy

Playing

with Molly

and with her Daddy

I hope you liked the pictures!

OH MY!! What a perfectly darling kitten little Maya is!!!! I just adore those pictures of her with the doggie buddie she has, those are just to cute!!!! Looks like it diddn't ake anytime for her to just make herself at home..

Magic is just that, MAGIC! What a beauty she is!! I love black kitties and she is so sleek and beautiful! You made some great choices there!! Just make sure she never suffers anymore cruelty and stay a happy girl with the loving home she deserves...

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

She'll never suffer ever again, if we have anything to say about it! She's such a sweet cat, and she's coming out of her shell nicely. We couldn't be happier with them, so far!

I love the story and the pictures. Actually, I had just finished reading the thread about Maximus in the memorial thread. Then the next one I clicked on was this one. I'm so happy to know that you were able to help a couple more kitties and to know that they will help you heal as well. I loved Maximus' pictures with your dogs when he was little, and now Maya's pictures too. Your doggies are so sweet with the babies! Also, I feel so sorry for Magic and what she must have gone through having that done to her ears!

Both cats are beautiful and lucky to have furr-ever homes with you.

I love Magic's ears!! They so remind me of my RB cat Dusty who also had a shortened tail.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Magic and Maya are darling! What I really love about those pics are the faces of the happy sleeping doggies!

Wishing you and them many years of happiness and health!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I just read the story about Maximus a day ago and found it very sad but I'm so happy to read about the newest additions to your family. I really enjoyed reading your post with all the great details leading up to the actual adoptions. Well written!
    Magic is beautiful. I'm so sorry that someone was so cruel to her and actually cut her ears. I wonder if they were trying to make her look like a small panther?
    Catlady711... was your RB Dusty a victim of the same type of cruelty?

What a relief that she has a furrever home with you and no more living in a cage. And Maya! What a sweetie! I'm so happy that your dogs will be able to find some healing through her as well. The pics of both your dogs sleeping with Maya were so peaceful and I'm sure their hearts are mending now.

Thanks for such a great story!

I'm glad that you all like Maya and Magic

I'd be interested to know what you were told about Dusty's ears as well, Catlady - were you told they were cut?? It breaks my heart to think that someone did that to her.

EmeraldGreen, the first thing I said when I met Magic was "My god, she looks like a mini panther!" and one of the ladies there said "Unfortunately we think that's the effect they were going for".

Our dogs both just LOVE cats. We fostered kittens here non stop for a long time, so they got very used to them and are great around them. Magic is still a little leery of the dogs, but have improved SO much since getting here. She'll hang out on the couch with them now, but not quite sleep on them like Maya does. Both pups act really maternal towards cats, and Molly has actually been caught on a few occasions carrying a kitten in her mouth - she quickly drops them when she sees me looking at her though. One time I saw her from around the corner, and I stayed quiet to see what she was intending on doing with it - she carried it gingerly into her crate, and gave it a bath. I was so proud of her!

Magic and Maya are both so fortunate that you showed up at the adoption event that day! Magic looks like a sweetie, love the shot of her in the kitchen sink. Who's that orangie??

Maya, oh gosh, she looks like she has a lot of spunk just waiting to come out between cat naps. I suspect she is going to get into lots of things!

Bless you for taking these sweet girls into your 'menagerie!"

The cruelty and stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me. To do that to such a beautiful cat, to any animal, is mind boggling, regardless of the reason. Fortunately, there are people such as yourself and countless PTers who will give a sweetie like Magic a permanent home. She's beautiful! I have an all black male cat, Boo, and he's brought me nothing but joy and good luck! Maya is adorable and Boo's RB sister was a tuxie, so your choice of furkids really hit home w/me. Congratulations on your new fur family. They apparently just fit right in. I'm sure Maximus had a lot to do w/it.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Freedom, that Orangie is Cheddar - he's huge now! After we lost our Commodus, we adopted his brother Cheddar, and he hasn't stopped growing since.

Medusa, I agree with you wholeheartedly. It simply amazes me what people will do to animals! Great example - this coming Wednesday I am getting 2 foster pups at my house, they're 10 week old border collie/lab mixes, and they were found with the rest of their litter and their mother in a NAILED SHUT DOG HOUSE. Why someone would do that is just beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7
    NAILED SHUT DOG HOUSE. Why someone would do that is just beyond me.
    I refuse to believe that anybody is that stupid. It's cruelty and nothing else. I hope those people are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Bless you for taking in those pups and giving them the warmth of a human touch and a better start in life.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Congrats on getting Magic and Maya!
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

OMG!! Someone freaking nailed them inside the dog house!! Holy CRAP!
    Thank goD they were found!

You're new kitties are too cute for words!!
    Congrats!
    The pictures are priceless!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome