Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need some advice.

I need some advice.

Okay, My parents 25th wedding anniversary will be approaching next summer. I want to have a gathering for them with our family & close family friends. I am a college student so right now money is tight. The gathering is going to be really casual.. as that what my family is.. no dressy dressy. or anything.. at gatherings our family just talks and gossips and what not. haha.. noone in my family really drink alcohol either.

I know for one I am going to get them a cake for a local cake service..maybe even some sort of wedding cake.. depends on how much it costs.

but for the food I'm stumped.. do I feed the guest a whole meal? or would finger foods work (sandwiches, chips, etc.. ) PS- I have never cooked a meal in my life so I don't think the party is a good place to start..lol.. so I would have to get it catered by a local restaurant.

I know I am going to decorate the place with silver balloons, table clothes, etc. I am also going to place some pictures out from their wedding.

I also want to get some sort of favors that the guest can take home with them and maybe treasure. i'm not sure what to get though.

I'm really stumped on how to begin this process..

any advice would be really appreciated.

Hi Tia.

Since things are basically going to be casual, why don't you ask family members to make up certain dishes to bring. Like, macaroni salads, finger sandwiches, cheese & crackers, raw vegetables with dip, or their favorite types of dishes that they like to make. Stuff that is easy to do a buffet style with.

The cake doesn't necessarily have to be a wedding cake. We got our parents a cake decorated with flowers and just had written, Happy 25th anniversary on it. But we did add a little bride and groom to it.

That's all I can think of.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

How many guests are you talking about? That will make a big difference in suggestions.

Hi Tia!

I would suggest, first seeing if any of your other family members can pitch in to see what kind of a budget you have. Are you going to have it in a banquet hall, veterans' hall, house, etc.? From there, you can get together a guest list and try having people bring dishes like rg_girlca suggested. If not, depending on where you are, I'm sure pizza restaurants cater for decent prices. I also know a great cake designer (me ) so I can help you with pricing to see what's a deal for you or not.

Either way, you're on the right track by starting early. I used to be an event planner, so if you need anymore help, please let me know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ladies, we need to stop comparing men to dogs. Dogs are loyal!" Wanda Sykes

Easiest thing to do - supply hamburgers, hot dogs, buns, etc. and ask everyone to bring a dish to pass.

In 2006 we had our parents 60th anniversary. I made all the invitations, the menu's, and a large mozaïk with pics from them. This was a huge success! It is NOT expensive, because you can make it yourself. The only thing I could not do, was make the large finished print.

This is the finished product

If this is to much work, you can also consider making what I made for our own 25th anniversary in 2004:

have fun, tia!!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

For my parents 40th wedding anniversary we gave the a chance to renew their wedding vows (they are Catholic). Then we had an afternoon tea at the church hall for all of the friends and family. For the immediate family, we then had a small sit down dinner in the evening.

For the tea, we had some of my mother's friends make all the goodies (and no sandwiches)

Good luck and I know that they will appreciate anything you do.

Like ou, when my folks were married 25 years, I was in college.

I sent out semi invites. I invited everyone to join us at a restaurant for a pay your own way dinner. I explained that I needed a count for the table reservations.

Didn't have to make up a menu, everyone ate what they liked (none of this I hate fish!), and everyone spent as much or as little as they wanted. Some bought a bottle of wine for a group of them, others didn't. Had about 35 people, the restaurant I picked was centrally located to those invited, a place most of us had been to once or twice but not regularly as it was a bit expensive for a routine. So this made it all special. We were enough people that the restaurant gave us a side room to ourselves. They set the tables in a E shape, so everyone could chat with lots and lots of folks, not just 8 at a table. I did get some favors for place settings, and the cake. I got the cake from the restaurant, so I didn't even have to travel with that!

It was all I could do to gather enough funds to pay 4 dinners: mom, dad, baby brother and me!

BTW, don't know what you family is like. I made one HUGE mistake. I did not take a peak at the wedding album. I didn't invite the Best Man and his wife, until after a bit word got around and someone called and told me my Dad's cousin had been Best Man and I had slipped up. I had to make a very quick phone call. Long story short, they did NOT come to the party, and never spoke to me again, to the day they both died.

I didn't give the folks a present; the party WAS my present to them. It was a surprise until bout an hour before, when we were getting ready to go out, and I insisted Mom wear a dress she had wonr only once, to someone's wedding. And I asked Dad to wear a suit. They knew something was up at that point.

Good Luck!

Your family sounds like my kind of people. Personally, I would suggest getting some sliced roast beef, ham, etc. and cheeses from the deli to go on the little dinner rolls (also a variety) with a variety of mustard, mayo, butter, horse radish, pickles, olives, etc. Add a nice pasta salad, baked beans, vegetable platter with dip, chips, carrot salad....you get the idea. You could ask some of the closest family members to bring some of those dishes. The rest you can order from the deli section at the grocery store. Don't try to do it all yourself, but you be the one to organize and make sure that all the pieces are fit together.

As for the cake, I would suggest concentrating on ordering a really good cake concentrating on taste rather than fancy dancy ornamentation. To me it is a shame to decorate to the hilt something that tastes ordinary. Have a bakery make some suggestions and see if they have a sample of what they would suggest.

I would also make sure you have a good variety of beverages to go with the food and coffee for the cake. Flatwear, dishes, napkins, and have your camera ready for plenty of pictures so you can make an album for remembrances of the occasion.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Everyone's touched on food so I'll touch on the momento...

A cheap -but nice- way to go would be to buy a votive candle and design a "(Name) & (Name) 25th Anniversary" label. You could print the labels from your computer or have them printed up. Want it dressier? Buy some tulle fabric (hit the "scrap" bin at your fabric shop), cut into squares, place candle in center, gather fabric at top, and tie with a bow!

Guests could use or keep their gift.

Congrats to the 'rents and good luck on the party!!

i helped organize a wedding this summer. i found that wedding cakes from bakeries are beyond awful expensive....$2 a slice? and i have to pay for a 1 inch by 1 inch taste piece? b/c it was a wedding cake? rip offs in my opinion. i called around to several grocery stores that had bakeries....krogers, meijers, andersons and giant eagle locally, asked for and got tastes (when i was there at the store ) and got a huge sheet cake from giant eagle for just $45. it served the 100 people who were at the party, and the decorations were fine, the taste was great and i'd use that bakery again in a second. for favors, well they didn't appeal to me, mostly from past wedding/anniversary parties i found the favors are expensive and unless you're really really tight with the couple, the favors wind up in goodwill asap. for the wedding this summer, we bought disposable cameras, 1-2 for each table and had paid for photo finishing for each camera. we made photo cds from those those cameras, so each one got photos of their loved ones dressed up a bit. matches, with silver names and dates are useful. can be used for candles as the year goes by, those small silver votives are cool, they do twinkle beautifully, and m&m will do chocolate bars with the couples names/dates on them. finger foods are fine. non alcoholic punch is good. and i love the idea of a mosaic of the original wedding party, way cool.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

what a lovely daughter you are to go to so much trouble to planning this special event, if i were you i would ask everyone to bring a plate of food, that is what we do in NZ, when money is tight, as they are family members no-one should mind, have a list of things, and tell each member what you would like them to bring so you don't double up on things,but finger food is the way to go i think if you want to keep to the budget.

I agree with the others, concentrate on getting a really yummy cake, that not only looks great but tastes divine.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

What a nice gesture. If you have access to a sam's club they have excellent cake for very reasonable, they may even have wedding cakes.

I like the idea of everyone bringing a dish and like Kay said burgers and hot dogs can be provided. If you don't have access to a barbeque you could buy a bunch of chicken.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Thanks for all of the replies. I have been reading them. I would guess about 15 ppl..

Well, some of our extended family our having problems at the moment.. soo I can't really ask them to bring anything.. Just them being there is enough.

I do like getting a cake & having it decorated with flowers.. That sounds nice.

We will be having it at our house..

Lut, I love those frames.. I really am looking at the 2nd one..

I like the candle idea.. That would be really really cool & I also like the photo touching idea.

Okay,. I was wondering if the menu could be ham/turkey sandwiches, macroni salad, & baked beans,and of course cake. .. or would that be tacky for the 25th?

Thank you all for your help.. it is making my planning much easier.
    Last edited by petslover; 12-30-2007 at 08:42 PM.

more ideas

start buying the dry goods now, a little at a time hurts less, get good sturdy boxes with lids to store the evidence offsite. half sheet cake shouldn't run more then $25. get a high quality silver knife and server to pass the cakes. those will become heirlooms i bet. go to a gordons' food service and buy silver plates, small and large as well as forks, spoons, knives. get the napkins made at the same place you get the candles and match books at, and if you're going to use them for invites as well, you're in a strong position, drive a bargain. their names and 25 in silver would be nice. what color was your moms' attendants wearing? those might be nice plates colors or table cloth colors. 15 ish people means 2 or 3 long tables and chairs, could the ladies at your church or your M&Ds' friends help with set up/tear down. get huge trash bags as well, it's amazing how much trash you'll generate. and trash bags can hold the ice for the sodas, ice teas, waters. if you're going for a surprise, get one of the other people to 'remove' M&D about 3 hours before the event, you need the set up time, and you will also need to shower and get ready yourself. if you're planning on going into the evening time, a store called old time pottery sells flare bowls for under a dollar, buy some of their flattened marbles, no more then $1.50per bag, one flare bowl, 2 bags of flat marbles per flare bowl (i used the extra flare bowls and marbles as holiday gifts this year, i stuck a fancy christmas candle in them, they looked good with the marbles and holiday greenery.) to surround the citronellas or votives and if you can put a few citronella candles out to discourage the flying blood suckers , the lights will reflect very nicely on the marbles. the disposable cameras you can also buy them a few at a time, at walgreens or CVS. maybe buy the bowls at yard sales/goodwill as well and the
    any time you can , eat BBQ, in my opinion, BUT what do your M&D like? it's their party. go down early in the year, talk to the head waitress, tell her what you're thinking and she can help alot if you need more help, and make sure their price includes service utensils and delievery. if you need more help PM me, i kinda do this on the side
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.