Thread: My riding opportunity..

My riding opportunity..

My opportunity to get serious about riding might be hitting me in the face!
    We don't have the money to lease, which is what I was complaining about on another forum when someone offered me the best thing ever (I hope) but I was wondering if this is worth it?
    Slim Shady is a 13 yr old 16.3hh Thoroughbred

PROS:
    -She's offering to let me ride her horse, Slim Shady whenever she's at the barn she boards him at.
    -She's out there 3,4 times a week which would be tripling or even quadrupling my riding time.
    -Plus it wouldn't just be an hour long lesson.
    -I would be much more free to do what I wanted, like riding more bareback, no stirrups, or even just walking the whole time. In addition, she'd be willing to give me *free* lessons on the flat. She's not a certified trainer but a solid rider who could give me some instruction.
    -She'd let me show him and if I helped out at the show she'd pay for my classes

CONS:
    -Slim was born with a back defect that makes him ugly to some people and makes people afraid to ride him. It doesn't bother him or hold him back at all.
    -He can't jump.
    -She's still finishing his training and basically walks trots and canters, which I'd be fine with because it'd be nice to help train him and eventually start jumping. He doesn't know a lot though.
    -He's 1 hour and 2 minutes away (57 miles) I'D be willing to go that far but i don't know about my mom. It's either $45 per lesson at the close barn or the price of gas for riding at the far barn.

I can't decide...is it worth it?
    I'll have pictures of him up here soon
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing

Here's a picture of hhis back:
    http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...o-g115714.html
    You can barely tell his back is wierd when he's got a saddle on...

Working on getting other pictures up

I don't think your mom would be willing to drive a hour away 4 times a week.
    It sounds good other then that.
    Could the girl pick you up when she gose to the barn?
    Anything to help improve your riding is good and honestly that is much more fun then lessons imo. If he will eventually learn to jump then it would be worth the weight.
    His back looks pretty bad :/
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Reply to riding opportunity

Is there possibly a barn closer that you could trade out stall cleaning or leather upkeep for riding time? I know private lessons are really expensive, but could you maybe find group lessons closer? I have traded out ride time to young people for barn work in the past. It might mean that you would get a little less ride time and more work, but that is actually the way it is when you own or lease a horse.I have also leased out horses and I am really strict about record keeping that pertains to the health and well being of my horses. I insist on inspections to be sure they are well treated and well fed. I try to be fair to those I work with, but if I suspect my animals are not being kept as directed, they come home immediately. Take a long look at lessons before you even think of leasing. Not everyone is fair and often expect the moon where their horses are concerned.I hope you are able to work out something. I have been horsecrazy all my life. I have my horses here at my home, but truthfully, I had way more time to ride when they were under full board at a boarding facility. Best of luck and find a way to keep riding.
    Linda

I agree, I think you should work at a barn closer in exchange for riding time. You learn a lot from working around horses. If you work at a barn you get to spend a lot of time interacting with the horses as well as getting to ride more often. I think if you show you're hard working and committed then the right opportunity to lease a horse may come.

I think this TB is probably too far away and I have the feeling he may have some issues. If you're still interested in riding the TB then I think you should try him out a few times and see how it goes.

In a month I'm leaving for a six month working student job with a well respected dressage trainer. I'll be working like a dog, but I will learn so much and have the opportunity to ride many different horses. Hard work pays off!

Good luck!

*Nicole*

I've been looking...there really aren't any other barns nearby..there are three barns right near my current one, but I can't help out there.

Tralee what did you mean by him having issues?

I'm waiting for her to come online so I can get some pictures..really, his back isn't noticable at all when he's got a saddle on..

Just to clarify...I wouldn't be leasing him, just riding. I've been in lessons, and the $45 lessons ARE group lessons.

idk my mom will probably say no but i guess its worth a try, right?

bump any other input?
    I'm waiting for the lady to come online and give me more pictures..I kind of lost the other ones.

aawww...his back looks bad,, I can't give you any advice though since I have never ridden horses or had one..I'd like to see more pics of him though
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

He has a sway back, here's some info on it: http://www.horseshoes.com/farrierssi...s/lordosis.htm

I had a sway back horse years ago and he lived to 24 with no health issues.

Quote Originally Posted by G535
    He has a sway back, here's some info on it: http://www.horseshoes.com/farrierssi...s/lordosis.htm

I had a sway back horse years ago and he lived to 24 with no health issues.
    I've ridden plenty of swayback horses before and they've never looked like that.
    His owner said it was just a deformity he was born with

Ehemm I've been waiting did you ask her yet??
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

ahaha sorry my mom? not yet..I'm waiting for a good time..having her yell at me because my phone was on silent when she called probably wasn't that time lol.
    I will soon, I want more pictures to show her too

:[
    She said no.
    She looked really interested until I said how far away it was :\

So it's back to no riding for me.