Thread: Pretty Baby

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)

Pretty Baby

I was mostly curious when I saw the "creepy crawly warning", but when I read Baby's story, it really touched me. She does sound very sweet and it seems like she's in the best home she could be in as a pet spider. I love the idea of her being a grandspider (I don't think my mother would ever consider that thought!). I thank Baby's mom for submitting her photo and her story, which is filled with love and respect and an understanding of a typically misunderstood animal that I find refreshing. Congratulations, Baby, on being Pet of the Day!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Hello, Baby! What a special, interesting POTD you are! I am so glad that you were rescued from that noisy pet store by someone compassionate and understanding of your needs. I hope those frightening days are forgotten, sweetheart.

I met a pet tarantula once, and the person would hold it . . . do you like to be held, too?

I hope you have an esecially quiet, peaceful day, displaying your furry tummy to your guardian as a thank-you for loving and caring for you. Peace be with you and yours, Beautiful Baby.
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

Greetings and happy Pet of the Day to you, beautiful Baby! Wow!!! What a most unique, fascinating companion you are! You do "crawl" but for me, especially after reading your human's wonderful tribute, I've decided you're anything but "creepy!" A spider with personality...who knew! All of God's creatures are, as Finn's Mom reminds us, worthy of our admiration and respect, and I'm so happy to know that such an amazing creature is under the loving care of such a dedicated, knowledgeable, caring guardian! You truly are special Baby, and I hope in your own special way, you enjoy a warm and loving Pet of the Day celebration Thanks to your Mom for sharing you with us all!
    P.S...Grandspider...how neat is THAT!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

What a pretty spider!

Tarantulas ARE indeed sweet, we used to have a rosy hair named Mata Hari. She loved to sit on us, I guess we were her own personal heating pads!

"GrandSpider" ... that cracked me up!
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I didn't know that tarantulas could live up to 20 years, nor that they have fangs. Baby, what do you eat? I hope you have a wonderful day as the Pet of the Day!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I love the idea of her being a grandspider (I don't think my mother would ever consider that thought!).
    My mom wasn't sure she could consider the thought, either. She thought I was nuts for getting a spider as a pet.

However, over time, she started to warm up to the idea and when I had to go into hospital for nine weeks in 2002, she was nervous, but also excited by the idea of having Baby as a guest. She and Dad would go to Baby's cage daily and talk to her and tell her how pretty she was. Even now, they'll talk to her and rub the side of her cage when they come over to visit.

I thank Baby's mom for submitting her photo and her story, which is filled with love and respect and an understanding of a typically misunderstood animal that I find refreshing. Congratulations, Baby, on being Pet of the Day!

Thank you. I wasn't sure if they'd put up a spider's picture and story, but I'm glad they did. Baby thanks you for the congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by AvaJoy
    I hope those frightening days are forgotten, sweetheart.

I met a pet tarantula once, and the person would hold it . . . do you like to be held, too?

I hope you have an esecially quiet, peaceful day, displaying your furry tummy to your guardian as a thank-you for loving and caring for you. Peace be with you and yours, Beautiful Baby.
    Baby says, "Thank you. I still remember some of the scary days; if Mommy brings me home a cricket that chirps, I run and hide; I don't like the high-pitched noise. It reminds me of that noisy bird. So she asks the petstore people for a cricket that won't chirp. They think she's silly, but Mommy knows I'm happier if I'm not scared and upset.

Mommy has only held me once and it was okay. I was a bit scared, but I think she was nervous, too. I crawled all over her hands, arms and across her chest. She doesn't hold me now partly because I'm so skittish and will run away easily and because a fall of as little as six inches could kill me. She doesn't want me to get hurt so I can be with her as long as possible.

Mommy fed me yesterday; I did my Happy Hunter Tiptoe Walk for her when I caught the cricket to show her I was happy with my meal."

*Waves a furry leg in farewell* "Bye-bye!"

Quote Originally Posted by tatsxxx11
    Greetings and happy Pet of the Day to you, beautiful Baby! Wow!!! What a most unique, fascinating companion you are! You do "crawl" but for me, especially after reading your human's wonderful tribute, I've decided you're anything but "creepy!" A spider with personality...who knew! All of God's creatures are, as Finn's Mom reminds us, worthy of our admiration and respect, and I'm so happy to know that such an amazing creature is under the loving care of such a dedicated, knowledgeable, caring guardian! You truly are special Baby, and I hope in your own special way, you enjoy a warm and loving Pet of the Day celebration Thanks to your Mom for sharing you with us all!
    P.S...Grandspider...how neat is THAT!
    Baby says, "Thank you. I try not to be creepy, but I know a lot of people think I am. Someone even told my mommy that my name should be Splat or Squish. I don't try to be scary; I think things like having my water dish filled or people opening my cage door are even more scary than I am.

My grandparents and my mommy both say I have lots of personality. Along with showing off my belly, I do a Happy Hunter TippyToe Walk for Mommy when she feeds me and I catch the cricket and I like to 'hunt' the water when she pours it into my water dish.

Only time I get upset is when they take me to get my cage cleaned; I sometimes show my fangs or try to flick hairs at the pet store guy to make him itch so he won't take me out of my cage. I get a bit scared and forget that getting my cage cleaned keeps me healthy, so it has to be done and that I'll be back in my home soon.

Mommy fed me yesterday, so I'm feeling fat and happy today. Hope you have a good weekend!" *Waves a little pedipalp (that smaller, short 'leg' in the front) in goodbye*

Quote Originally Posted by Twisterdog
    What a pretty spider!

Tarantulas ARE indeed sweet, we used to have a rosy hair named Mata Hari. She loved to sit on us, I guess we were her own personal heating pads!

"GrandSpider" ... that cracked me up!
    Thank you. Baby is very sweet, even though she is more skittish and anxious. I would like to be able to interact with her a bit more, but I know the stress that causes her, so I just talk to her and have music playing for her, which she seems to enjoy.

How long did you have Mata Hari? How big did she get? She probably did enjoy the heat from your body; I'm pretty sure that's why Baby comes over to show me her belly when I sit by her cage.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom
    I didn't know that tarantulas could live up to 20 years, nor that they have fangs. Baby, what do you eat? I hope you have a wonderful day as the Pet of the Day!
    Baby says, "I like to eat crickets best. I had trouble the last time I shed my skin and was quite fragile afterward, so Mommy fed me soft worms for a while, but once I got stronger I turned my fangs up at the worms and wanted my crickets back." *Comes over to show off her belly and fangs (the fangs are on the underside of the spider, by the mouth and aren't visible usually when the spider is peaceful and just sitting/standing) to cassiesmom*

Spider Momma says: Female spiders can live up to 20 years in captivity, the range being 12-22 years; males usually only live 5-7. Male spiders are apparently only wired to live long enough to breed before they pass on, whereas females are usually hardier and longer-living.