View Poll Results: How do you feel about animals in cages/cubbies at adoption centers?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it's ok for some pets.

6 27.27%
  • I think it's ok for a short amount of time - like a weekend.

7 31.82%
  • I think it's ok for 1-2 weeks.

6 27.27%
  • I think it doesn't bother the animals at all.

0 0%
  • I don't like to see large animals in close confines of cages at all.

4 18.18%
  • I have a different suggestion (please reply below)

1 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too protective of my foster cats??

Too protective of my foster cats??

Maybe it's just me being over protective, but I had the chance to put Zachariah in the adoption center at PetSmart tomorrow, but I just can't do it!! I won't do it to Calloway either.

I can't imagine taking them to the adoption center and putting them in these tiny little cubbies that they get where they only have enough room to turn around and lie down. Kittens have more room because they are so small, but Zachariah, well, he's a big boned. He'd be all cramped. And lonely. He loves to sit and chat, and he sleeps with me at night. Same with Calloway. Calloway would cry at the adoption center... he's so attached to me. They said the last time he was there, he cried piteously until I came to pick him up.

If I lived closer, and I could go and drop them off daily, and take them home overnight, I would, but it's 2hrs round trip on a good day.

Zach just seems so at peace. Yes, he's chasing my girls, but he's just such a good boy. He sits and chats with me for sometimes 20 minutes at a shot, he follows me around the house, he's happy. He was so miserable when he came back here to me. He hates change. He gets depressed and then he gets sick and doesn't eat. We almost lost him the first time when I took him from the shelter. He lost 8lbs in there (26lbs down to 18lbs). He could use the weight loss, but not that drastic in such a short time.

Am I just being a wimp?? Am I being over protective??? There were some fosters that I knew would be fine at the center, but these two guys... I just think it would break their hearts, again. I think I can do the special days when we go for just 6hrs and then go home (he won't like it, but we can do it). I just don't want my guys in there for days and hours on end. I'd be home crying about it every night. I don't mind people seeing them on the web and wanting to meet them, and I can meet them anywhere, but I don't want to enclose these guys in such small quarters, and then have them be alone. It's too sad, don't you think??

Zachariah

Look how relaxed he is.... can you put him in a cubby???

And that face!! It's too kissable!!

Calloway - my shy guy

and I also don't know if he'd fit in the cubbies in PetSmart, lol

I did not vote because I have a combination of answers. I think it is OK for an animal with the right personality AND for up to 2 weeks.

Just for the record Jennie, remember when I picked Zack up at PS to bring home to you? HE was very at ease and comfortable in the cage. Yes, he is big, but I remember thinking "it is a shame not to leave him here for a while, he surely could get adopted".

I'm not going to vote because when I was involved in rescuing/fostering, I took care of them and found homes for them directly, no Pet Smart, etc., not because I was against it but because it was such a hassle going back and forth. Plus I had a "sales" pitch that you wouldn't believe. I will say this, though: if you feel that it's working the way it is, then "let sleeping cats lie". Why change it if it's working?
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I am not sure what the right answer is. I know that long term, it is not something that I agree with. However, in the short term (a couple of weeks) I think that it's ok. Whatever the answer is, if you feel uncomfortable doing this then go with you gut. Both of them are gorgeous, and they are lucky to have an angel like you.
    Smokedog's mommy
    I've been frosted!!

Jenn, you have done this fostering for some time now, and you are great at it. So go with your instincts! You have placed some pets through PetSmart, if I remember right; and you have found great homes for pets. So it works for some not for others, that is the great part of the FOSTER system. YOU get to know the personalities, not only to tell potential adoptors, but to make sure the cat is cared for in the best way possible even prior to adoption.

Jennie, just a side note..... If Zack will NOT be going to petsmart, please let Kathy know ASAP! Cats are coming in from Huntingdon shelter tomorrow and another can come along if that cage will be empty. OK??

I have mixed feelings as there are many Pets who are on Pet Talk who have been adopted from Adoption Centres so thats clearly a positive.
    But I wonder for those Pets who are not adopted, and sit there for a long time, how that effects them emotionally.
    I have seen Pets who no longer get up and look when you visit, and have clearly given up hope.
    Jen , you have more experience in fostering and I have the feeling that seeing a Cat happy and relaxed in a home enviroment makes them easier to rehome as potential adopters get a good idea of how they would fit into thier new Furr Ever Homes.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Let me add a more general comment. (not about Zack)

Pet adoption cages at these large chain stores can be a WONDERFUL thing! As long as some rules apply. Rescues who place a cat there for Who-knows-how-long, are abusing a priveledge. Cats need to be rotated or they go cage crazy. But if living in a cage for a short time will get the cat out where the public can interact with him and give him a greater chance of adoption, then I say the confinement is well worth it! Not all cats would be suited for cage living though, so that needs to be taken into consideration.

For example, I would love for Cameo to have a spot at petsmart, but she injures herself when left over night in a cage. She pushes at the bars, sometimes with her face, until she hurts herself. NOT a good candidate!

So, I say common sense should be your guide. But....nothing ventured, nothing gained! I had many adopted through the Petsmart who had no interest while sitting in my foster rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach
    Jennie, just a side note..... If Zack will NOT be going to petsmart, please let Kathy know ASAP! Cats are coming in from Huntingdon shelter tomorrow and another can come along if that cage will be empty. OK??
    I emailed her last night.

Maybe I am over protective. I just hate when he gets so upset. He's got the sniffles at the moment, and I've been cleaning his nose too(he's not happy about that) so maybe it's best that he's here and not there getting sick, or getting anyone else sick. Dr. Hess was right about one thing... what is it about orange/red cats getting black boogers?! Everytime he gets the sniffles, and his nose gets gunky, it's always dark boogers.

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach
    Let me add a more general comment. (not about Zack)

Pet adoption cages at these large chain stores can be a WONDERFUL thing! As long as some rules apply. Rescues who place a cat there for Who-knows-how-long, are abusing a priveledge. Cats need to be rotated or they go cage crazy. But if living in a cage for a short time will get the cat out where the public can interact with him and give him a greater chance of adoption, then I say the confinement is well worth it! Not all cats would be suited for cage living though, so that needs to be taken into consideration.

For example, I would love for Cameo to have a spot at petsmart, but she injures herself when left over night in a cage. She pushes at the bars, sometimes with her face, until she hurts herself. NOT a good candidate!

So, I say common sense should be your guide. But....nothing ventured, nothing gained! I had many adopted through the Petsmart who had no interest while sitting in my foster rooms.
    Yeah... I guess you're right. I know it is fine for many of them. Autumn was having a blast in there, she played and played! The last time Cal was in he cried and hid in the top of the big cage the whole time. I emailed Kathy and said I'll bring him on the Jan. adoption day, pending weather, and maybe from there we can see how he is. I know they get lots of visits from volunteers in there too. The cages seem smaller there than they are in the Whitehall store though...

Gosh, could you imagine Sassafrass there?? He's be totally hairless within 24hrs! And Furbee... the shrieks that cat makes still ring in my ears!

I voted I think it's okay for some pets. You know your fosters and their personalities. You know who could handle it and who cant. So just use your judgement and do what you know is right for that specific kitty.
    It sounds like Zach might be able to handle it, but it sounds like Calloway would NOT. But if you don't want to put Zach through it, then don't.

And thank you for reposting my favorite picture of Zach (the first one).
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

The PetSmart near us has large cages - some have 2 levels, some have 2 rooms. Mostly the cats are from the local Humane Society - and the conditions there are much more cramped than at PetSmart.

I think it's fine for some cats.

I love PetSmart adoption centers, Got Eleanor, RB Thumper, Stephen through rescue that keeps in the store.
    They let the cats out of cages and exercise in the room area where the cages are located (with main door into the area locked of course).
    I picked the 1-2 weeks option.
    Normally at our PetSmart they rotate every 3 weeks tops.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

It depends on the individual animal. Some could tolerate it, others would have a hard time.

We got our guys at PetSmart, too. It was an enclosed area with a few cages; they were running around, like kittens do!

Looking at Zach, I would have a hard time putting him in a cage. As for Calloway, he looks like my Archy; same thing, no cage!
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

I voted for 1-2 weeks, though I hate the whole business. I had to get used to sending my fosters out to the adoption centers or they would never have found homes. I thought an adoption event would be better and tried that, but it seems to attract impulse-buyers. At least at the centers potential adopters can come back again and again while they think about adoption. The one where about half my foster kittens went to this year is about five miles away from me so I visited them every other day. And the cages are in a room where people can go in and interact with the cats in a space in front of the cages. The volunteers are there twice a day and let all the cats out for a few hours to play and interact. It's miserable, but most of the kittens coped with it very well and they all found homes. Only in one case has it turned out very badly, with little Fiorella who is now back home with me. The stress of it made her sick.

Although it can take several weeks, I've seen all the adult cats in that center adopted also. If that's what it takes, and the cat can cope, you have to grit your teeth and go through with it. If you are visiting every few days, you can assess how things are going and pull them if necessary.