Thread: hamster help

hamster help

hi, i got a new hamster for christmas and he keeps gnawing on the bars of his cage? is this normal if not how do i stop it?

thanks Lauren

They love to chew on their bars, and escape if they can. One reason I prefer solid cages over bars. Another when the coating is chewed off the bars and they start to corrode, I hate that.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Has she got stuff to chew on? If you go into the petshops they sell wooden toys for hamsters to gnaw on.

hamsters love to chew on things; it sounds like he just needs some new toys to play with
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Chewing can mean several things. He/she may be bored, may have nothing to chew, may want out, or may be trying to get your attention.

So does he/she have a wheel that they can fit in and that has a solid surface? Do they have other toys to play with? Do they have extra space to just run around with?

Does he/she have somethign to chew? Milk bones like for dogs, are a great thing to give them as they usually love them.

Does your hamster get enough time out of the cage? Have you tryed handling him/her yet?

You can put lemon juice on the bars as he/she will not like the taste.

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

thanks for the advice my mum has gone to the pet shop to get more chewing things and an exercise ball, i stroke him whilst he is in the cage and today i am going to try and handle him wish me luck