Thread: mans best friend?

mans best friend?

why is it that almost all dogs like the man of the house best? after all, if the man of the house does not give as much attention and somebody else why do they still like the man of the house best?
    animal lover

I don't have that problem. It all depends on the personality of the dog.

My male is mommies velcro dog. Everywhere I go, he's got to go. If I go outside without him, he whines, paces, etc. He only acknowledges daddy because I will ignore him.

My female on the other hand is strictly a daddies girl. She only puts up with me because I'm the alpha female in the pack. If she had her druthers, she'd get rid of me in a ticktock.

We don't have that problem, either. My pups are glued to my side whenever I'm at home, especially Addie (my black lab-mix). They go see their dad when they want to do something they are not supposed to do .

My prissy little dog prefer me much more than my boyfriend, even though he loves Thomas. My roommates dog however, likes boys better because they rough house with him.

Teddy (our sheltie) is a momma's boy to! He follows my mom everywhere. For example like right now my mom left almost 45 mins ago and he is pacing still. He thinks she will be back any min so every time someone opens the door he is right there like mom! No . It is so sad to watch. Chewy likes me and my sister the best. So he also likes boys. Sadie May is also a momma's girl although she has no daddy, lol.

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Both of mine are more attached to me more than to daddy. They go to him for early morning scratches but where ever I go they are not far behind. This is because I train them, feed them, water them, exercise them, etc. Daddy just usually gives them affection but they really know that I am the giver of all good things and that if they want them, they had better listen to me! Not that I am strict with them but everything is done with positive reinforcement!

I think in general though you may be refering to the fact that in a pack the more strong and dominant member is alpha. The dogs recognize that the male human is stronger than the female and is usually more dominant. They see that mom says something and maybe the kids listen but when dad speaks the kids always listen. It is basically just pack hierachy! If the male is assertive and strong then they will honor his place in the pack.

Daddy's girl

Ricky has always prefered me over the others in the family. For him I think it is because I was home alone with him during the day for four months with my knee surgery and he got attached.
    Lucy Tu is Daddy's girl all the way. Why? For a very good reason. When she was six months old I was coming out of the bathroom with her running in front of me and she ran into our desk, because it was pretty dark she seem to think I hit her (I have never hit any of our animals). Her daddy comforted her before I could. The very next day, I dropped her off at the Vets to be spayed and because of my work hours, the next day her Daddy picked her up. So what does this all mean to her? Mommy hit me, took me to a bad place where they cut me and Daddy rescued me. My husband is eating it up. Lucy Tu always wants to be close to him now.
    Neither one of them seem to notice that I feed them, bathe them, take them potty, brush their teeth and wipe them when they don't do a very good job of it. Wait a minute sounds just like our kids and they always go to Dad too, the one that gives into them. There's the key.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MHMama; 08-15-2002 at 08:32 PM.

Bella is definitely closer to me than her 'dad.' I think it is because she spends more time with me and I feed her, take her for walks, etc. She follows me all around the house like my little shadow. She does look forward to playing fetch with her dad, though, after dinner and sometimes can't quite wait for dinner to be over. He often finds she has dropped the ball right in his lap from under the table.

What a cutie-pie! I like her jewelery too.

I found that to be true also. Our last dog Sam wanted me to love her up b/4 bed and I also gave the treats out and food - but when my husband came home if we were out playing ball she would just quit and bring the ball to him and I was dirt under her feet!!!!!!!LOL

it's not fare that they like the guy best! But they also love the person who feeds them
    Kendra Mc.

Deisel is by far my husband's dog...even though it was me that did the training with him and took him to his classes. He pays attention to me as well, but not as much as Dad!!!

Phoebe on the other hand is Mommies dog all the way, she pays attention to Dad when he has treats and sometimes when he doesn't.

We love them both the same though...