Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australians - please explain.

Australians - please explain.

Ok, I freely admit this is a trivial thing to make a post about, and a sure sign that I am in dire need of life ... but ...

I was noticing on my calender that there seem to be holidays for "Australia - except SA" and holidays for "Australia - SA". For example, December 26 is Boxing Day in all of Australia but the mysterious "SA", there it is Proclamation Day.

What is "SA"? A province or state, I assume? Why are the holidays different? What else is different? Just being curious. Thanks.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Not from OZ, but have been there a few times................ I think SA stands for South Australia (a State, I believe).

Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98
    Not from OZ, but have been there a few times................ I think SA stands for South Australia (a State, I believe).

Yes it is.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"What else is different"

We have different accents.

We don't have snow at Christmas.

We spell words differently.

Our cats have Australian accents!

Now I'm MORE

Quote Originally Posted by G535

"What else is different ?"

* We have different accents.
    * We don't have snow at Christmas.
    * We spell words differently.
    * Our cats have Australian accents!

G535 lives in "the Australian State of Victoria, AU" - another STATE in the Australian Nation;
    The State of Victoria borders the "State of South Australia, AU" ...

Now, G535 ~
    Does your "answer" to "What else is different?" point out
    Differences between the various Australian STATES ...
    or the differences between the collective Australian STATES as a Nation
    and the "Other Countries" of the World?

/s/ Phred

It's the silly season.

I was being silly!

Our states are probably not much different to your states, we're still the one country, just have different holidays.

there r 6 states (plus 2 territories) that make up the big Aussie-land.i live in New South Wales.incedentally,have u ever heard of drop-bears?

Yep different states have different Public holidays. I am from Victoria, when we were in Queensland about 6 months back it was a long weekend, we went to go shopping but no shops were open... we had no idea .
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Quote Originally Posted by G535
    "What else is different"...Our cats have Australian accents!
    LOL!
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

We have boxing day in Canada too... basically just an excuse to have the day after Christmas off... which is nice lol.

I didn't realize that Australia also had Boxing day. I always get strange looks here in PA when I say "boxing day" and I didn't realize that different parts of Australia had different holidays.

I don't think it's like that in Canada but I could be wrong.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

In reading this thread, I had a question. Do schools still teach a class
    in Geography? This is no reflection on anyone's post, just curiious.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

We also have boxing day in NZ too.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud
    In reading this thread, I had a question. Do schools still teach a class
    in Geography? This is no reflection on anyone's post, just curiious.
    If you were referring to me, I wasn't asking where Australia is on the globe. I think I might be able to find it.

I was asking about customs of the country ... why does one state have different holidays from the others? Seemed a legitimate question to me.

Rather like a citizen of Australia might ask a citizen of the USA, "Why does the state of Utah celebrate holidays that no other state does?" The answer being, of course, the citizens of Utah are predominately members of the LDS church, and celebrate holidays specific to their religion.

I was simply wondering if there was a similar reason in SA, Australia.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

http://www.shagtown.com/days/australia.html

According to this site Proclamation Day is December 28. I lived in South Australia for awhile years ago and can't really remember all the holidays and now I'm mostly retired every day is a holiday.

Hey Twisterdog,

Yes, we have different holidays in different states - but the one that really gets me is Queens Birthday.

Every State celebrates it on a different day - I think only Western Australia actually celebrate it on the Queens' ACTUAL birthday!!!!
    So, in Victoria we have a long weekend for Queens Birthday, and then about one month later New South Wales has a long weekend for it!!

Yep, I can see how it would confuse someone - so let me share this too - here in Melbourne, we have a Public Holiday for a horserace!!!!! No, I am NOT kidding!!!

Thanks for asking - this has made me look at the holiday plans here for next year
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."