Thread: I have a new Hammie!

I have a new Hammie!

Bonnie and Freddie (my dwarf and syrian hammies) have recentally passed away, so was hamsterless. Then for my birthday/secret santa gift, I recieved the most adorable little Russian Dwarf Hamster. I was planning on getting a mouse, but they didn't have any and when I saw this little guy I was hooked.
    He is a sweet little thing and isn't scared of people at all. He doesn't like being touched (I wouldn't either if the only time I was handled was to be scruffed and taken out of a cage with my littermates and then put into a box), but he will eat seeds out of my hand.

His name is Pikachu. My sister and I were tossing around names while we were watching him play in the cage and he hid underneath the bedding. I said, "Hey, get back out here. We need to see you to name you!" and he poked his cute little head out from under the bedding and my knee jerk reaction was to say, "Peek-a-boo!" Then my sister said, "Pikachu! We could call him Pikachu!" and the name just stuck.

So, without further ado, here is the new member of the fur family:

Isn't he adorable? But I'm not biased or anything.

Any tips on getting him used to being handled? My game plan was to keep feeding him seeds from my hand to help him understand that hands are a good thing, then move to touching him, then move to letting him climb onto my hand and to go from there. The only hammie I've had to tame was Freddie, and he was big enough that I could hold him even when he was wiggling trying to get down. My two previous dwarf hammies were hand raised, so they were tame when I got them.
    ~My Clan: Blackie, Rose, Chloe (dogs), Casey, Dameon (ferts), Pheobe (kitty), Dot, Louie (Cavies), Joey (Teil), Pikachu (Dwarf Hammie), Sadie (Guide Dog), R.I.P. Rush (15yrs), R.I.P. Lucy (4yrs)~

I don't know much about hammies but this surely is a cute one. Welcome to PT Pikachu Happy Birthday/Merry Christmas.
    ~Traci, Duke, Champ, Chopper and Ryleigh

On occasion I have been know to speak Chopperese.

He's adorable! I would just work at it every day. Don't give him food by hand all the time, because he'll get in the habit of grabing with his teeth every time you stick your hands in. Try setting you hand flat and putting the seed or treat on it so he has to walk on your hand to get the food.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Pikachu is so cute!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I just thought I'd update you all on how he is doing. While he still freaks if I try to pet him or move my hand over him, he is more than happy to climb onto my hand and just sit there. He really is a sweetie and I've never once been bitten by him. I just bought him a tiny ball to run around in and he loves it.
    ~My Clan: Blackie, Rose, Chloe (dogs), Casey, Dameon (ferts), Pheobe (kitty), Dot, Louie (Cavies), Joey (Teil), Pikachu (Dwarf Hammie), Sadie (Guide Dog), R.I.P. Rush (15yrs), R.I.P. Lucy (4yrs)~

Pikachu is adorable.
    Here's some tips if you want to handle him. He might still be getting use to his new home. Try and rest your hand in the cage and let Pikachu investagate it and to get use to the idea that the hand is a "friend." Try starting off with something simple like hand feeding teats, next go with petting and if he would want you, pick him up.

He is very cute. Congrats on the new addition.
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!