Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Pictures of Buffy, the Chihuahua

More Pictures of Buffy, the Chihuahua

Attached are some newer pictures of Buffy. I hope you like them. I know I enjoyed taking them A LOT!

Buffy is now 9 months old -- I don't think she'll get any bigger. She currently weighs exactly 3 pounds.

With her proud owner, my Daughter, Maggie. These two are inseperable:

[ November 29, 2001: Message edited by: Barbiro ]
    Barbi
    on behalf of Lady/Tobi/Buffy
    http://www.cutefamilypets.com
    a great site for all animal-lovers!
    Has your pet been featured yet?

She is sooooo cute! I love that tiny snout and those big eyes! I wish I could just give Daisy a bath in the sink Buffy is absolutely adorable!

aawwwww!!!she;s so adorable. i wish i could give zoey a bath in my sink too!!!

So cute! I love her coloring The bath pic is precious. We give our cats baths in the sink too! They just LOOOOOVE it...

I......
    MUST.....
    HAVE....
    ONE.....

someday! Keegan is enough for me right now!!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

She is the sweetest looking little gal!!!! So tiny. Keep her safe.

Just can't stand it!!!! - I love this dog!!! any chance you can ship her out to me by Xmas. Bundle her up really good though - Salt Lake is not quite as warm as Miami

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: purrley ]

Oh Buffy is so adorable. I want one so bad. Chihuahua's have such a fiesty personality! just love it!

Our neighbor has one and Drake tries to be a bully but Peanut does't take crap from anyone! He! He! He! It is so funny to watch them together.

Oh Barberi - I just talk to my daughter and she said her sister in law's chic. has had puppies. I have a chance to get one. Please e-mail me [email protected] and give me some pointers on how to raise one - can they be crated easily - how about potty training - I know about the temperment - but would they get along with 4 cats???? Need your help and advise desperately before I say I'll take one. Thank you!!!!

Oh purrley, how exciting! I hope you get some positive feedback from a chihuahua owner and you will get one ofyour own!

Thank you Souraya - I'm so excited I can't work

Wow Purrley.....congratulations!!! That is absolutely so wonderful that you're getting a chihuahua. Ok, some pointers. I can only go by the two chihuahuas we have (Tobi (4 years old), and my daughter's Buffy (9 months old) and what I have observed.

For starters: YOU'RE GOING TO FALL IN LOVE!!!!! Having said that, here are some serious observations:

Temperament: People say chihuahuas are yappy -- they're not. Their sense of alert is extremely strong and they WILL bark when anyone comes to the door or if you're out in the street with them and someone THEY don't know approaches YOU...they will bark until you tell them 'its ok', but if you look at it, 99% of dogs do that as well. They are lovable and VERY affectionate.

Housebreaking: Hard to do but not impossible. Buffy is potty trained on those blue mats they sell at Pets Smart. It did take her at least 3 weeks to catch on. Tobi has access to our backyard and just goes there automatically. It did take him at least 3 months to catch on, but only because he spent the first 7 months of his life in a pet store cage and got used to peeing and soiling his crate. He's over it.

Crate: Tobi luvs his crate. He sleeps in it with Lady since it's extra large. I always left the door open, so it's natural for him to just slip in there when he's sleepy or just wants to be alone. My daughter doesn't use a crate with Buffy. She's got a little nice soft bed or at times just sleeps with my daughter on her bed. The important thing about crating is not to use it as a punishment. I read so much before I got Tobi, I wanted to make sure I did things right. I put toys in his crate and would just always leave it open. It's in my Florida Room and Tobi enjoys it so much that when he sees I'm mopping the floor, he'll just go in there and take a nap until I'm done so he can come back out. The crate is like his "special little cave" for him to have quiet time. I put a blanket on top and sometimes cover the sides to make him more cozy. Lady and Tobi both love it.

Maintenance: It takes 15 minutes to groom them. 10 to give them a bath, and 5 to blow dry their beautiful hair. When you bathe a chi, you need to be careful not to put too much water over their face or they'll start "wheezing" like if they have asthma. I don't know why that happens but both of my chihuahua's do that when I've accidentally spray too much water on their face. The runny stains they get in their eyes can be easily cleaned with a cotton and just water. They don't have runny eyes, per se, but once in a while you'll see the little stains there. In the summer, I shave Tobi, it's so much more comfortable. I shave everything except the ears and his beautiful white tail. It takes me approx. 10-20 minutes to completely shave him.

Socialization: Chihuahuas are VERY friendly, but over-confident. I exposed Tobi and Buffy to as many children as I possibly could when they were little. All the neighborhood children have taken turn borrowing them for a walk. People say chihuahuas do not like children -- that's a lie and both of mine prove that. You just have to socialize them.

Food: I give mine dry dog food, plus people food at times. Everyone has said I shouldn't give them people food, but the dry dog food all the time tends to constipate them, so every once in a while I give them a piece of boiled chicken or steak, plus they also love spaghetti P.S.: I spoil mine a lot!

Safety: VERY IMPORTANT! Large and medium size dogs luv to attack little dogs like chihuahuas. I know of two little chi's that were killed by larger dogs. When walking your chi, be extra aware of your surroundings and always have them on a leash. I know Tobi walks next to me at the park, but I would never take his leash off. I never know when I'll have to scoop him up in an emergency due to a larger dog spotting him and coming to play or attack. This is so important to keep in mind. Buffy is ALWAYS picked up, since she is extra-tiny. My daughter never wants to take a chance on something happening to her and always picks her up when they go out. If a large dog approaches your chihuahua, be aware that the chihuahua will act tough. It is hysterical but true. If Buffy sees an 110 pound dog (mind you -- she's 3 pounds) she will want to play or growl at them like if she were their size. Chi's are not intimated by larger dogs.

I hope this helps. I'm sooooooooooooo happy for you!! Are you getting a long-hair chihuahua or the regular Taco bell chihuahua? -- those are a lot bigger. Male or female? are the puppies born? We will need you, of course, to post lots of pictures!! I can't wait to see them.

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: Barbiro ]
    Barbi

Barberi - I just talked to my daughter and she talked to her sister-in-law letting her know that I was interested. I really want the white colored female she has but she wants $600.00 for her - that I cannot and will not do - so I'm going to wait to see if she can get that price or if she'll come down. She'll have to come down a whole lot before I will bite. Too bad the money thing is such a factor, but it is. I think she could probably get 400.00 for them but not 600.00 and I wont pay 400.00 either. Thank you so much for the info - I'll certainly let you know if I end up with one. I'm so disappointed

Awww Purrley, I don't blame you for being dissapointed. I know long-hair chihuahuas sell for $600.00, and some Buffy's size (which they consider teacup) sell for as much as $800.00. I was really lucky since my sister owns Buffy's Mom and I bought her for my daughter for $100.00. I would not have paid more than $300.00 for a dog since there are so many at the pound that need a home. I will be breeding Buffy and Tobi in about 6-8 months. Tobi is pure-breed (I even have his AKA papers) and so is Buffy's Mom. I just haven't filed them because to me the papers are not really important. I'm not a breeder and I don't believe in breeding for a profit nor unneccesary litters. I will be breeding Buffy and Tobi because WE want those puppies. They will probably be white or creme (Buffy's dad is pitch black and her mom and is light blonde and look how she came out). Plus, their personalities would only bring out the best in the breed. Also, my daughter wants a playmate for Buffy and I want another chihuahua in my home. If she has more than three (which she may since her Mom had 7) I will let you know. Any remaining puppies I would sell, but probably for $100.00 - $200.00 or so, just enough to cover the vaccines and vet visits. I don't think anyone should profit from breedings; instead, people should be more concerned about the quality of life they'll have and who will be taking care of them. Hang in there....there's a Chi waiting for you somewhere and you too will connect. I'll put a few more pictures of Buffy when she was little to cheer you up in a few minutes.
    Barbi

Purrley, just to cheer you up

Barbi