Thread: New Dog Food (Kibble)

New Dog Food (Kibble)

I know everyone's got their own opinion on this but here goes. Right now, I'm feeding Dasher Purina Pro Plan Select Turkey and Barley for Senior dogs. I'm wanting to get him on better quality food. I'm considering going with either Canidae or Royal Canin. If I go with the latter, should I get their food made for Labs or would it be better to get the food made for senior dogs. Or, do you have a kibble you like better? Thanks. Oh, Dasher is 9 1/2 now.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

First of all i'd never feed a "senior" food.

I actually had better luck with King using Pro Plan than i did with Canidae. (The Canidae gave him bloody vomit and diarrhea.) (We mostly fed Wysong, but every now and then would throw in the Pro Plan for something different.) When we fed him the ProPlan we gave the Natural Turkey (Adult) version. (When we were going for lower sodium and put him on senior food he was always hungry, begging for more, and gained fatty weight. We put him back on regular and did just fine.)

I personally can stand by Royal Canin's cat food, but swear their dog food is horrible. (I was trying out garlic free foods in King's final days when he was misdiagnosed.)

Of course my recommendation in the end will always be Wysong. (I've only known the dogs with the MOST severe grain allergies to do bad on it. ...and i'm talking the dogs that had no other choice than to be fed raw.)

And i must reiterate, i personally really advise against using "senior" foods. They plain simply offer less nutrition.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedogsmom
    I know everyone's got their own opinion on this but here goes. Right now, I'm feeding Dasher Purina Pro Plan Select Turkey and Barley for Senior dogs. I'm wanting to get him on better quality food. I'm considering going with either Canidae or Royal Canin. If I go with the latter, should I get their food made for Labs or would it be better to get the food made for senior dogs. Or, do you have a kibble you like better? Thanks. Oh, Dasher is 9 1/2 now.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Thanks for telling me about the senior food. It makes sense, too. Last month at the vet, he'd lost about four pounds but yet he has gained width. The harness I was using for him hardly fits him now. I just bought a new bag of senior food, too. And he is hungry a lot. Next bag will be the regular food and I'm going to check out Wysong for the one after that, I think.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Canidae is a very, very good quality food. I would choose that over Royal Canin anyday.

If I wasn't feeding Innova EVO and incredibly happy with it, my next choice would be Nature's Variety.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I'd definitely try out Canidae and see how he does. I've heard and seen of a lot more good things happening for dogs on Canidae than I have bad. Winston is doing incredibly well on it - it's one of only two foods he can eat without getting sick. I'd stay away from Royal Canin. The ingredients aren't that great and it's way too high in price for the quality. And yes, I'd stay away from senior food as well.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Have you ever considered Raw feeding?
    They are never too old to be switched over.
    Keegan thrives on it...
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I decided on Canidae. I've been mixing his food for about a week now. So last night I gave him all Canidae. He loves it! I no longer have to coax him to eat. He dives into it and doesn't leave a drop. I'm so glad he's getting much better food now. The price isn't too much different and it's well worth it.