Thread: Vick's Dogs - a new beginning

Vick's Dogs - a new beginning

Judge Henry Hudson of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia has approved a recommendation by a guardian/special master appointed by the court that 22 of the 48 American pit bull terriers connected with the Michael Vick civil forfeiture action be placed with Best Friends Animal Society.
    Valparaiso University School of Law Professor Rebecca J. Huss, in a Summary Report to the United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, recommended that 47 dogs (one has been euthanized for medical reasons) be placed with eight organizations, with Best Friends receiving the most dogs (22). The next largest group would be placed with Bay Area Dog Lovers Responsible About Pit Bulls (BAD RAP) of Oakland, Calif. (10). Other organizations that would receive dogs are Richmond Animal League of Richmond, Va. (4); Georgia SPCA of Suwanee, Ga. (3); SPCA of Monterey County, Calif. (3); Recycled Love Inc. of Baltimore, Md. (3); Animal Rescue of Tidewater, Chesapeake, Va. (1); and PACK (Pit Bull Advocates for Compassion and Kindness), San Francisco, Calif. (1).

“The court has granted Best Friends the opportunity to do what it does best – provide a caring, rehabilitative home for these abused, homeless animals,” said Paul Berry, chief executive officer of Best Friends. “They deserve the very best that we can give them, and we are prepared to provide a safe place for them to stay for the rest of their lives.

“The pit bull is easily the most misunderstood breed of dog in the U.S. Unfortunately, it is the very loving and loyal nature of these dogs that makes them prone to exploitation.”

Huss expressed confidence in Best Friends and the other rescue organizations recommended for placement. “For the dogs that may need to remain in a sanctuary environment, although there will certainly be a period of adjustment, I believe that these dogs will not just survive, but thrive in that environment.”

The report was prepared during multiple visits by Huss to Virginia, where she interacted with the dogs and their caretakers, and spoke with animal control officers and numerous rescue organizations, including Best Friends.

In July, the United States filed a civil forfeiture action relating to approximately 53 American pit bull terriers located on the property of Michael Vick. The court appointed Huss as guardian/special master of the 48 surviving dogs.

The groups getting the dogs will also receive funding to help pay for their care. Dogs that were deemed adoptable will come with $5,000, while those that might need to spend a long period of time, or their entire lives, in a shelter or sanctuary will come with $20,000.

Vick has deposited $928,073.04 into an escrow account to pay for the evaluation and care of the dogs. He's also scheduled to be sentenced Monday after pleading guilty Aug. 27 to a federal dogfighting conspiracy charge. Two co-defendants were sentenced last week to 18 and 21 months in prison.

That's GREAT news!!!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I was happy to see that an Indiana woman was chosen as special master
    for these animals. Smart lady. I'm also happy that these dogs will now
    be cared for, for the rest of their lives. A good ending for them.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Grace
    “The pit bull is easily the most misunderstood breed of dog in the U.S.”
    I am one who didn't understand the pit bull well before I learned about them here on Pet Talk. I still have a lot to learn. I hope many people will be educated about them as a result of this case. That would be something good that could come out of such a sad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace
    guardian appointed by the court Valparaiso University School of Law Professor Rebecca J. Huss
    i got my BSN from Valpo

Edited to say: Did anyone else see 60 Minutes yesterday, they had an interview with an NFL player from San Diego, Ladean Tomlinson (I'm sure I got his first name wrong) or L.T. as they call him. He talked about watching Walter Payton play as a child and wanting to be that good or better. They showed all the charitable work he has gotten involved in as a pro player and how important that is to him. Anyway, San Diego picked him after trading away their first round draft pick to Atlanta - and Atlanta chose Michael Vick. L.T. is from Texas and has sports programs for at-risk kids both in Texas and in San Diego. The bad and the very good. I was really impressed with what this young guy is doing to help kids.
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 12-10-2007 at 12:30 PM.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Best Friends is a great, safe place for them.

I visited Best Friends last time my sister, brother-in-law, Dick and I went to Vegas.

The country is gorgeous and serene. I would love to live and work there.

I'm glad they're having the chance to live out their lives the way they should, in peace and quiet.

I love happy endings, especially for these poor, stereotyped precious creatures.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!