Thread: Ajax's Training video

Ajax's Training video

Once and a while I like to take video's of my training sessions with the dogs so I can see how they are doing, how I am doing, where I can improve and so on. Well today we decided to film Ajax while he is working on his "By Me" command. This command is VERY important for on and off leash. It brings the dogs right up to my side. I can say it to Sheena and she will stop what ever she is doing, even eating, to rush to my side. I know when working that this command keeps them next to me or brings them closer when I need them to be. He is only 4 1/2 months old but is doing really well with it.

So far he knows, and is consistant with, Sit, down, stay, come, crate, leave it, paws off, paws up, off, crate, load, unload, Go Hurry(potty command), and for fun Paw(shakes a paw). He is working on several others and is showing good progression for By Me, Take, Give, Place, eyes(Look or focus on me command), Back(back up). Many more commands will come but this is where we are now.

This Friday will be his first real test and an excellent training opportunity. Our church has a function at one of the members house(private home) and since Sheena was in heat I was not going to go. But then I talked with the house owner(our doctor friend) and since he knows all about Sheena and that Ajax is in training he said no problem to bring him and train with him. It will mainly be a socialization time for him. To begin with he will meet as many people as we can, get pets and a treat from them all. And then periodically have him do his basic commands that he knows. It is also a dinner and Ajax is perfect now at sleeping teathered to me during meals(we do mainly teather training right now). So I know he will be great during that though I do expect a few corrections. I am excited about it(plus it is taking my mind off of other things) because it will be a relaxed setting, among people I know and am familiar with and who know about the training I am doing. So it will be great for Ajax and if we feel he is the least bit over whelmed we can easily leave. Wish us luck.

Without further ado:

As you can see I use voice and hand commands. He is not perfect at it but he is progressing very well I think. Just wanted to give you a glimpse into what we are doing. Hope you enjoyed.
    Nicole & Ronan

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleLJ
    He is only 4 1/2 months old.

It will mainly be a socialization time for him. To begin with he will meet as many people as we can, get pets and a treat from them all. And then periodically have him do his basic commands that he knows. So I know he will be great during that though I do expect a few corrections. So it will be great for Ajax and if we feel he is the least bit over whelmed we can easily leave. Wish us luck.

Just wanted to give you a glimpse into what we are doing. Hope you enjoyed.
    Nicole & Ronan
    MAXIMUM LUCK!! Have a lovely time! Ajax, you are getting to be such a big fellow! I hope you and Ronan will both have a beautiful first Christmas.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

He is getting huge!

If you are up for hints, take a look at how much body language you are showing the pup.

I would work to get away from that as quickly as possible. I know you are probably not going for competition with this puppy, but it pays to work for precision. Start out with the puppy in perfect heel position, with you standing up nice and STRAIGHT. His rear is kicked out away from you, both when you start, and when he finishes position. This is mostly due to you turning and leaning towards him when he is at your side.

To help speed him up, you can take a step or two backwards, and a step or two forward, encouraging him to speed up.

For me personally, I also do not use the stay signal or command when I am going to call the dog off of a position. If I say STAY to the dog, or give the stay signal, I ALWAYS return to the dog. If I am going to call the dog off a command, I use the command WAIT, with a big sweep across in front of the dog's nose. I have found this radically decreased my dog's anxiety on the stay exercises. They know when I say stay I am coming back to them. It also increased the levels of attention on the recall and other exercises where I am leaving the dog to subsequently call him off the position, or give another command.

I am also wondering why you are walking away from the puppy at this point, and then asking him to come to heel? I teach the finish from a position with the puppy at front, toe to toe with me.

He is a handsome guy, and getting so big. I loved his little tail wag after you finished.

Champion and Obedience titled Rottweilers

ALWAYS owner handled and trained.
    I CARE ABOUT HEALTH SCREENING
    All remarks are my opinion only.

No part of this post may be copied, pasted, or forwarded without my express permission.
    Property of the original poster only.

Thanks for the tips. If I was going to compete in obience I would defiantely use them. He is training to be a Service Dog just like his mom. And because of that I have to be as natural as possible in how I act and sound when giving commands because when they are fully trained they have to know that when I am not, let say, functioning normally then they still have to do the command just as they would any other time. This is why I would never compete in obeience. Some of the commands go agianst what I need the dog to do. I am teaching him all his Service Dog commands and hubby is teaching him to show in conformation since he will be the one showing him. I think that will be less confusing. I will also be teaching him agility and flyball as well.

Agian thanks for the tips. They are good ones. As you can see he is a work in progress, but he is making good progress. I hope this answered your question.
    Nicole & Ronan

Great job!
    He's such a smart boy!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Great job!

What a good boy