Thread: Question about frequency of eating

Question about frequency of eating

Hi! With Millie as big as she is (22 lbs) she is on a measured diet. I have been dealing with a family situation that takes me away from home 12-16 hours a day a few days a week. My ex-husband, when he could, would stop by my house to feed Millie during those long hours away from home. But sometimes he can't. Is 12-16 hours too long to wait between eating? I think of it as me getting up in the morning and going the entire day without eating, and I don't think I could do that without feeling serious hunger pains. Is it the same for cats? Sometimes (but not always) these 12-16 hours include overnight time so she is sleeping for some of this time anyway. Do I need to get a timed feeder thingy? If so, anyone know of a good one? Thanks !!

I think a timed feeder is a good idea because then you can put in the amount of food you want to leave for her and the time you want it to become available to her. Here is a link for one that looks pretty good and not too expensive. Also, this one has two compartments for two separate meals. You could put a wee bit in each compartment to offer her something every 8 hours

auto pet feeder

Cats on a diet should be fed more frequently thoughout the day, kinda like humans eating smaller meals more frequently. A timed feeder with measured food in it sounds like a perfect idea for your kitty.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022