Thread: When to take kitten?

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"

When to take kitten?

I'd like to have a day set when we are going to bring George home. I'm wondering about next Sunday. He will be 7 weeks, two days. Is this too soon? Should I wait until his 8 week birthday?

Babies have been eating real food for almost two weeks. Mom is already taking long excursions away, and even trying to mate (again!) Happy news, though, Mama's keepers are going to alter her!
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

I don't know what the pro's think but I think 6 weeks is good as long as they are eating on their own. I always wanted them as soon as I could get them so as not to miss a minute of the fun!!!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

The shelter I used to be in contact with went by the 7 week mark as an appropriate time for a kitten to be adopted. I've only ever adopted one cat that was the age of a kitten (the rest were adult cats) and she was 7 weeks old at the time and did just fine.

I say go get him!! You need George right now to help fill those empty Iris spaces.

That I Think Depends On How Socailized The Kitten Is. A Kitten Who Has Been Around People And Other Cats Will Not Need As Much Time As A Kitten Who Has Been A Stray And Isolated.
    Thats Pouncer Roccalnos Trouble,shes Over A Year Old And May Take Forever To Socialize ,
    It Sounds Though As Though George Is Ready To Start His New Life And His Guardian Angel George Will Come Along And Help Little George Out.he Was A Friendly Well Adjusted Cat And Will Be Little Georges Guardian Angel.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I say go get him too! At 7 weeks he should be able to eat on his own and use the litterbox.

My two little ones I'm fostering are about 5-6 weeks old. They're eating canned and crunchies along with mama's milk. But they can certainly start to be weaned. Ideally, most shelters like to keep kids with mama together for 8 weeks.

Go get 'em!!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks for the input, everyone. I've fostered 6 weekers without mama before.

Sunday it is, unless his current keepers protest.

Sirrahved, I've attached a photo about your kitten....even though the name is spelled a little differently!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

6 -8 weeks is fine.George can go home to you now...don't worry
    Lucky kitty

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

Catty- what a cute photo!

My resolve is beginning to melt. I thought about Friday, but luckily I have the excuse of babysitting that day to keep me away.

Sunday is just too far away! *sighs*