Thread: Cat taking over the dog's bed!

Cat taking over the dog's bed!

We always have our dog's bed in the living room unless we are having company over. Then I move it into the spare bedroom temporarily until the company is gone. I do this because it takes up a good deal of space on the floor and our living room is small. Casey (the cat) normally has his own chair to sleep on and that is HIS chair. Once my husband even tried to move it out of the living room, but Casey meowed until he brought it back.

Well, yesterday we had our niece and 18-month old great nephew over and he followed my cat Casey around the entire time which stressed him out a little. I did my best to teach the baby how to pet the cat propely and to leave him alone when he was hiding and how NOT to pick him up. His mother wasn't helping me in this area much, but I did my best not to let the cat get too stressed out.

When our company left, I went to get the bed out of the spare room and bring it into the living room and guess who was on it? The cat! This is the first time I have EVER seen him lay on it. Well, now, he won't get off of it! I feel bad for the Finnigan (the dog) because he is just allowing him to sleep on his bed. Although at one point during the day they were both sleeping on Finnigan's bed together, I can't help but feel that Finnigan is feeling a little put out right now.

What do you think I should do? Go out and get another little pet bed for Casey? For some reason it seems he found comfort in this bed yesterday and he wants to take it over now. Poor Finnigan is just sleeping on the edge of it. Is there any reason for me to be concerned? It's kind of cute, but Finnigan has been sleeping on this little bed since we bought it for him some time ago. Like I said before, Casey has always had his side chair to sleep on.

Any ideas?

Andrea

I suspect Casey has been allowing Finnigan to sleep in the bed all this time and is just getting around to reclaiming it!

I find our cats change favorite sleeping places fairly often. One likes a spot so the other decides to like the same spot...so #1 moves on and they take turns and it goes around and round.

I suspect they will work it out by themselves in short order!

One of my two shep crosses is named Finnigan too! I named him after a character from a Canadian children's show that I used to watch a bizillion years ago. Oh my gosh!! I just realized that your cat's name (Casey) is the other character from the show 'Mr. Dress up' too!! LOL Guess you were a fan too!
    Anyway, I'm wondering if Casey chose that spot because she felt that Finnigan could provide some protection for her from the child that was pestering her. Maybe you could buy one of those cave like beds for Casey and put it next to Finnigan's bed. That way Casey would feel safe and 'hidden' and also be next to Finnigan which maybe she wants to be? And then poor Finn could have his bed back. Or you could buy a second bed like the current one and put them together to make a double bed! Might eat up all the space in your livingroom though. lol

Thank you for the replies!

Casey is still claiming Finnigan's bed, but Finnigan doesn't seem too bothered by it today. I think I will buy a little bed for Casey tomorrow and see how he likes it. I just don't want Finnigan to feel too put out by it. Casey gets to sleep in the bed with usk while Finnigan doesn't like to get up there any more. I just don't want Finnigan to feel jealous and like Casey is invading his "space". Our hardwood floors are only covered by an area rug, so thek pet bed is the best place for Finn to lay down.

Emerald, yes, I was a big fan of Mr. Dress Up as a kid! Every once and a while someone figures out their names from the show, but it is few and far between. Nice to meet a fellow fan!

Andrea

Casey and Fin may be best of friends, but in the animal world, one is going to be dominant over the other. This is not a problem, unless dominance is in contention, and then there's a lot of arguing going on.

If they are sleeping together in the bed, the argument has been settled. It sounds like Casey is the dominant figure in the house. When he gets tired of claiming Finnigan's bed, he'll move on.

The cat cubby may or may not fly. Afterall, you can't herd a cat. Of course, a little cat nip for persuasion purposes may not be a bad idea. Worst case scenario is that Casey will adopt the cat cubby AND Finnigan's bed. That's just the way with cats--gotta love 'em.
    my massage blog: Fingertips

I think you're right Largeheartedgirl! Here's a pic of them both sleeping on the pet bed....to me, Finny looks a little put out, but Casey has always been the dominant one.

Wow, I didn't realize just how bad our living room looks right now! We are getting a new bamboo floor and repainting the living room soon, just so you don't think we are pemanent slobs....

Andrea

What a handsome pair! Looking at the picture and seeing how the two of them 'almost' fit, maybe you could just put a folded up blanket on Finnigan's side to extend the size of the bed just a bit so his head and shoulders have something soft to lay on like the rest of his body. Might solve the problem and they can continue to share.
    By the way, I think your livingroom looks great.

What a great idea! Thank you very much, I will try that...

Andrea

That pic is too funny! The cat, while not in the center, has PLENTY of space, he he. Obviously the cat arrived first.

If you get a bed for the cat, cubby or just a mat, rub a little catnip over it to make it interesting. When I bring in something new like a cat climber, it takes as much a FOUR DAYS before one of the cats will take to it. (The dogs are all over sniffing it while I am setting it up.)

Poor Finnegan! Tough being a candidate for canine sainthood, isn't it.

Liz
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

That's hilarious! When I had Heidi, my border collie, she slept on a big sheepskin rug, until my calico Puddy came along, that is. Sweet Heidi was so accommodating but that wasn't enough for Miss Puddy. She wanted it all to herself and when she couldn't have it, she decided to hop up on Heidi's back and that's where she slept. It was an arrangement that worked out well until the temptation to play w/Heidi's tail was too much, then Heidi shook Puddy off. I wish I had a picture of that because the pic of your Finnegan and Casey is priceless!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11