Quote Originally Posted by Curiousdish
Read on one of the other posts here, re: prednisone......
My Casey was given prednisone and that ruined the adrenal glands on his kidneys giving him Cushings Disease! Nasty stuff

the rash on the back looks quite like when my Digby used to get inflamed hair follicles. Antibiotic helped along with a creme that had topical steroid to settle the itching.

the underside looks quite like what I experienced recently with Scrappy....
after extensive testing allergies were suspected. Yes most times environmental allergies are the culprit but in Scrappy's case it turns out she has a grain allergy..........Wheat ( which makes the eyes run). On the vets recommendation I switched her food to ORIJEN which is mainly meat, fish, vegetables and potato.............

Happy to say that she is feeling much better and her temperment is amazing....she is more sociable as she used to snarl at everyone and was grumpy...........

Anyhow, stay off the steroid tablets......
In humans it can create Diabetes, Cushings Disease and in some cases even blindness............Our illnesses are not much different to animal ailments...

Give Orijen food a try........

Good luck to you and hope your pet is getting better.....

PS....one other thing.......have you changed any laundry detergent, used any carpet cleaners or freshners? that could be an irritant......

Even the lady in the Pet Store who is very knowledgeable said if eyes are runny its a wheat allergy.........

Oh, Also one other thing.....Scrappy would lose an awful lot of hair continually to the point of a couple times totally lost all hair on her ears and underside.............since switching food.....her hair has grown back and shedding stopped........vet confirmed allergy to grains......
She's giving one short burst of steroid to get over this incident, the dog is not chronically allergic. She eats raw food and a no grain diet 99% of the time. The only reason the dog was given a different food is because K9 just moved tto a new location and had not been able to find the store that sold EVO yet.

Steroids are generally not harmful in short bursts for a single incident. Yes long term use CAN cause issues, but she will be just fine on this one dose. She has no underlying health issues and is a very healthy dog. K9 has a strong medical background so she is quite familiar with the use of steroids.

Also, my dogs have runny eyes....but they don't ever eat wheat or grain of any sort. They are on a raw diet or EVO for kibble, no grain at all. So runny eyes is not just a wheat allergy. They also have no allergies to the environment so it's not that either.