We have an English Pointer mix that is a little over a year old and a Belgian Shepherd mix that is about six months old. We originally kept them in crates when we are not at home, but back at the end of the summer, we started trying to leave them out. We started with short trips to the store and then going to dinner and there were no problems. So, we started leaving them out while we were at work and coming home for lunch. Again, no problem.

Recently, we came home to find that they'd torn up a pillow on the couch. There had been a big thunderstorm so we thought that maybe that ahd something to do with it. But, it keeps happening. Maybe 1 out of every 4 or 5 times we leave them alone, they tear something up. We have tried removing stuff from the room, but they just find something else. We've been hesitant to go back to the crates because it feels like taking a step backwards. They did so well for months and only recently started this, out of no where.

Tonight we came home to a lot of destruction and we've decided that we're going to have to go back to the crates. I'm just at a loss for why this is happening all of a sudden. We don't know if it is one or the other or both of them, but I came home one day and caught the Belgian Shepherd in the act, so I know it's AT LEAST him sometimes. He is not neutered (although he is getting neutered next week), could that have anything to do with it? Other ideas?
Bryan