Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honestly, what breed do you think this dog is?

Honestly, what breed do you think this dog is?

There's a reason behind this, but I first want to know what you all think first.

What breed do you think this dog is?

my uneducuated and probably way off guess is a Belgian something - maybe malinois?
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

looks like a GSD mix to me...the skull is really broad though and reminds me almost of some sort of mastiff...
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

GSD is what I thought from the first picture. But then looking at the body, it is certainly a mix. But I would venture to guess GSD is part of that mix.
    The last pic almost had me thinking Akita, but probably not.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Reminds me of an GSD/Akita mix I had once!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

It looks like a German shepard mix...

I see chow, german shepard, and something else...can't quite put a name to it.

Hmm.. I at first was going to say German Shepherd. But then his body looks very Malinois to me. But his head... it looks a bit wonky for a Malinois!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I'd agree... Belgium Malinois. (It was my very first thought.) (More accurately... "The smooth Belgium Shepherd that looks like a standard GSD." ...where on i proceeded to Dog Breed Info. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/belgianmalinois.htm )

If we were going for mixes i'd guess GSD/Boxer

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

That's what i was thinking. It does, but it doesn't. I just can't place it, but something seems off about the head if it is a BM. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by BC_MoM
    Hmm.. I at first was going to say German Shepherd. But then his body looks very Malinois to me. But his head... it looks a bit wonky for a Malinois!

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

I would say Malinois/GSD.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Nothing but the color screams Malinois to me. Mals are generally very deep chested and have thin frames. Even for a GSD/Mal, the dog still looks a bit stocky, but who knows.. could be a Mal x larger breed.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Mmm well, I guess the verdict is in then. The dog above is named Kyle. He's doing very poorly in the shelter because our shelter, unfortunately, is the classic loud, noisy, chain-link-kennel type. He is losing weight, developing obsessive compulsive behaviors like tail chasing, and is acting generally subdued. The shelter is considering euthanizing him because no fosters have stepped up. I tried getting him into a Mal rescue but they refused to help because he wasn't "even part mal". I know he's by no means purebred and, now, I guess he really isn't even part mal, but it's disappointing because Kyle is deteriorating and the shelter doesn't want to keep him in this condition any longer. He doesn't even look enough GSD to get into a GSD rescue so I don't know anymore. I really love this guy, and I can not believe that he of all dogs is on the potential list for euth

Awwwe... Poor guy. He sooooo totally looks at least part Malinois!!! I'd say look around a bit more. (Outside CA.) Look for a group willing to do a transport. Go on the boards on Care2 or Petfinder.

Best of luck to you Kyle!!! *hugs*

Instead of looking for a breed specific rescue to take him why not look for an all breed rescue.

I hope things work out for him.

Is he listed on www.dogsindanger.com
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome